1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paying off tuition

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bcast89, Jan 7, 2011.

Tags:
  1. bcast89

bcast89 Member

Here's my dilemna:
    I currently have an outstanding balance of $2746.04 for my fall semester at UofH. Reason why is I haven't received my financial aid money and will not be receiving it (at least for the 2010-2011 school year). I also now owe $1958.71 for the spring semester which is due by January 11th. In total, it's $4,704.75. I was hoping someone here could tell me if I can get some sort of student loan through a bank ($5000) to help pay it off for now or if I have better options. I just really need to pay them off/hold them off for now because I can't afford to get dropped from the classes I have already chosen for this semester. I'm also kinda freaking out because that would just create unnecessary stress for me right now :(

I know I could search online and do this myself but I know that there are some members here who would be willing to help and might have better knowledge about how to go about this situation. Thanks a bunch.
    (Will also rep for the most helpful advice).

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Have you talked to UH about an emergency tuition loan while you wait on FINAID to come through?

You can also check with a bank about a personal loan. Do you have a job that will allow you to pay this back if you get on monthly payment plans? UH also has an installment option that I used and paid by CC each time and then paid the credit card off. It allowed me to space payments.

In terms of a true student loan, it will be tough to get one at this point for the Spring Semester.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Check for other types of aid you don't have to pay back like grants and scholarships. If you truly have no aid at all, most schools will do installment payments or payment plans. Check with student accounts and financial aid to see what your options are for the term.

4. justtxyank

5. bcast89

bcast89 Member

Well, that's the other thing I forgot to mention...I have a hold on my account for "financial delinquency" and since I haven't paid off the emergency loan I took out for last semester, they won't let me take out another one for the spring semester.

I guess I've pretty much screwed myself over for waiting til the last minute.

6. bcast89

bcast89 Member

Sorry for the double post, but yes I do have a job. It only pays $8.00/hr and I only get like 20hrs a week.

7. justtxyank

Please give some details here:

Do you work?
    Do you have a bank account?
    Have you applied for financial aid and been approved/declined?
    Have you talked with a UH adviser?

8. justtxyank

Have you tried to get your parents to float you enough to get covered?

Here is a link to Sallie Mae Student Loans. You can try to apply with them to get a loan for your tuition:

https://www.salliemae.com/

9. justtxyank

1 person likes this.
  10. bcast89

bcast89 Member

1. Yes, 8.00/hr job part time. 20 hours a week on average.
    2. Yes, I have an account with Chase.
    3. Yes, but they're asking for documents which I can't provide. (I accidently put that my dad lives in my family's household but he doesn't since he moved away for his job and there's no way for me to get a copy of tax forms that they are asking me for).
    4. I did before fall semester ended and all they could tell me was to have a copy of my dad's tax forms sent to them, which I've stated I couldn't supply for the circumstances above.

11. justtxyank

If your parent will be a coapplicant I'm sure you can get a loan from Sallie Mae

12. bcast89

bcast89 Member

Yeah, I just skimmed through the site. How fast will I be able to receive this loan money because I'd hate to go through the whole process and end up not receiving it in time to send to the school.

13. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

I remember a few years ago, I was in the hole 10K and didn't get fin aid so the school wouldn't let me reup for Spring semester after completing fall semester....my family had too many other expenses and bills, I was working part time and not makin enough to pay it off, so I had to work 2 fulltime jobs and take the semester off, then catch up in summer and fall.

If you can get a loan, go for it, and finish up. But if not, you can always take the semester off and get another job and pay it off as well.

Speaking for myself, paying it off felt awesome. Workin back to back 40 hr shifts from 9-5pm then 10pm-6am and runnin on 2hrs of sleep? Not so awesome. But worth it when I finally paid off the tuition and knew I worked my ass off for that degree.

Best of luck to ya!

1 person likes this.
  14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

You should ask U of H if they will let you pay back your tuition in installments for this semester (more common than you would think) and take out a loan for the previous semester you missed; The less money you have to barrow the better.

Sallie Mae will give you money easily because they are in the business of financing people's lives away. If you do decide to go the Sallie Mae rout I would start paying it down immediately before it goes into repayment.

15. bcast89

bcast89 Member

I see what you're saying but I tried doing the emergency loan and it said I couldn't because I'm in financial delinquency and have a hold on my account until I pay off the fall semester in full. I'm ready to go the Sallie Mae route but like I said before, I'd need it sent to the school by the 11th so they don't drop me from my classes. That's really the only thing I'm concerned about at the moment because both of the classes I signed up for are full and won't have a chance to sign back up for it again because of the hold on my account.

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You filed you FAFSA and didn't get a subsidized loan offer?

17. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

1)bank of dad
    2)do you own a car?
    3) bank of dad

18. bcast89

bcast89 Member

I filed but the university was asking for a copy of my dad's tax forms b/c I messed up on one of the forms regarding who lives in my household.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

you're going to school full time??

My advice is to go work for UPS, get similar hours and pay, but you get some tuition reimbursement....or find any other place that does it and work full time and school part time if you have to, sure beats having all the bills pile up like that.

20. bcast89

bcast89 Member

I think he banks with Wells Fargo. Not sure though.
    I do not own the car I drive, it's under my mom's name but I do make the monthly payments for it.