1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul could learn so much from champions like Tom Brady, Tim Duncan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Senator, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Senator

Senator Member

https://www.businessinsider.com/tom-brady-contract-discounts-patriots-bargain-2018-7

[​IMG]

And these guys are winners - Paul had never been past the 2nd round of the playoffs despite having made over $200 million in his career when he strong armed .. not that it's hard to do .. Morey into paying a super max a 34 year old injury prone vet. Could have easily taken $30 mil a year instead of $40 mil but he showed you why he's never come close to winning in his career. A GM who makes 100 moves a year can't make the right ones when it counts.

The Warriors outside of Durant took pay cuts to build a dynasty. And these are guys in their prime, not those who have already made hundreds of millions as veterans.

IBeen a pathetic year for the Rockets outside of Harden .. Paul is the primary reason for this. He needs to be paying House from his personal stash. Not everyone has the heart of a champion, at the very least Paul could learn to think like one.

deb4rockets, ashleyem, rhee and 5 others like this.
  2. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

EDIT: I can't read

saleem, HP3 and don grahamleone like this.
  3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I've been saying this for a while, for a career winner & winner mentality like paul to expect winning when handicapping the organization like this while simultaneously expecting to win big is stupid as ****

He has the right to make as much as he wants we all would, but for someone emphasizing winning and team success that was a ridiculous contract

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Dumb take. This man represent NBA players union as the president. Him taking less money is not a good look as the president and to his peers. Maybe if he wasn't president I would incline to agree that he's being greedy, but as president of the Union it's looks pretty shtty to be taking a pay cut when you are negotiating better pay.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Didn't Duncan lose a **** load of money?

HP3, 34to11, Reeko and 4 others like this.
  7. Senator

Senator Member

Dumber take

he's not a truck driver

he's not representing anything other than endless greed that has nothing to do with winning

Everyone's situation is unique, why is jeff bezos treated differently to those on living wages? if you can't realize that, you deserve to be broke

8. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Or maybe you shouldn’t buy a team if you are going to be cash poor and aren’t going to all in to win a chip with Superstar at his apex peak!

Jontro, burlesk, rocketman84 and 3 others like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

10. clos4life

clos4life Member

If I was an NBA player I would be like Paul, get the most money possible while positioning myself to be successful on the court.

HP3, don grahamleone, Reeko and 2 others like this.
  11. s3ts

s3ts Member

Well, then it's simple. Do you take less and jeopardize the league players and CBA, or do you make more and jeopardize winning a championship?

Give Morey cap space he's going to do a great job, he just can't operate. The only thing I hate on Morey for is Ryno, and maybe the fact that he allows his players to dictate his career. I've no doubt that he can add a great piece for us if we had the space.

With Tillman deciding that we need to spend less, and with his other star player asking for max with 0 room for paycuts, it leaves Morey dead in the water. He can only do so much.

Houstunna likes this.
  12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

So how much did you want him to sign for? That would have made a big enough difference*

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It's not a dumb take. The expectations to win a title while making that much at his age are not reasonable. He could have made less and no one would blink an eye. Because it would make total sense to not give someone that age that much money, President or not.

Mazulis likes this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Obv CP3's extension crippled us by finding bargain members to field a team capable of beating the dubs in a 7 game series.

But without bringing in CP3, who mysteriously arrived without any hitches, Harden prob would not have received the recognition he damn well has been deserving.

15. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

WINDOW's CLOSED GUYS

Jontro likes this.
  16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Year 1 of CP3's contract already looks like an overpaid albatross. I'm worried about how it will look in years 2/3/4.

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

He has the right to it having probably received a commitment from the Rockets beforehand, but I agree that him taking a significant discount would have had a dramatic impact on our ability to compete with the Warriors. If we don't win it during his tenure, it will have been a major factor almost without doubt.

I don't give a F about his being head of players union. Resign if you have to, that's a convenient excuse. But I understand this is not common. It's just something the team we're trying to beat happens to do, on top of sitting on a mountain of talent.

dlite316, napalm06 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  18. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

I can't speak for the NFL, but when players like Tim Duncan, the rest of the Spurs, Kevin Durant, and other NBA stars take paycuts for the sake of "winning" they screw up the salary cap structure that is inherently made to give the league the opportunity to be more well balanced. Our flexible cap rules don't guarantee parity, but they do help make sure that we don't have a stagnant, overaccumulation of talent at the top.

As a result, we have fans advocating on behalf of billionaires to save them a few extra nickels. From my point of view, it's disgusting. And team owners are probably laughing their a*** off that they can not only convince players to take less, but also turn around and proclaim a culture of "winning" instead of being held accountable for their greed.

And yes, I realize that my argument is basically advocating for millionaires. But when given a choice, I'll go with the people that actually breathe life into the game so many of us love.

CP3 did what was correct for him and what ultimately helps the system work properly, but at the same time it hurts us as a team in the short term. There is certainly a tradeoff for us as fans here but I'm not about to start crucifying him so that TF can save a few bucks.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Rings are nice. You know whats better 40 million dollars.

20. Game7

Game7 Member

Can Duncan and Brady teach Paul how to have heart?