1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paging Codman?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROXTXIA, Aug 3, 2016.

1. basketballholic

True.

If he doesn't break out considerably early this season then it's time to move on. Wished I knew his summer activities but don't know anyone in his sphere. He's gotta become a great shooter or defender because he's not a good defensive rebounder and will never be dominant in that skill.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Why could he become a great shooter or defender but not a great rebounder? Does that skill not relate to MH's intellect, BBIQ, physicality or ... just what?

It's always been my experience becoming a great shooter after one has moved into the NBA is just unlikely. But, wait, DJ and Kidd became good, solid shooters after years of ineffectual shooting. 'Yes, but' they could only nail open J's or more likely set-shots.

Guys learn to defend or to rebound in greater likelihood than shoot.

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lol, good points :)

4. basketballholic

Defend? Perhaps so.

Rebound? No.

Cite one example of a guy that became a great rebounder after being average to below average defensive rebounder in college.

5. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

He only played like what? 280 minutes the entire year? And he did something that nobody else did and that's box out. :eek: new idea right?

6. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Carlos Boozer improved significantly as a rebounder, but overall, I agree that it's rare to see a bad rebounder become good.

7. basketballholic

Boozer was already a great rebounder st Duke.

8. Pete the Cheat

Carlos Boozer final two years at Duke: 6.5 & 8.7 Rebounds per game
    Montrezl Harrel final two years at Louisviell 8.4 & 9.2 Rebounds per game

but keep on making up your own facts to fit your argument

BMoney, D-rock and topfive like this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

In college, several scouts said he lacked discipline on the defensive glass, as he went for too many help-blocks that he had not chance to get. He also played a wing-position in 2-3 zones.

That said, they all agree he was very active and effective on the offensive glass, thus his total rebound numbers match up with most PFs in that draft.

A discipline problem (leaving your boxing assignments) on the defensive glass is definitely fixable, especially with his wingspan and athleticism, and proven high-motor and desire to go get the ball. But he's still undersized...sooo...

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Cite someone who became a great shooter after being average to below average defensive rebounder early in career.

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

shooting can imrpove, but rebounds, blocks, and steals tend to stay the same. whatever your side of the argument is, the fact remains that MDA will only play 1 player at a time that can't shoot 3's). meaning if he can't shoot 3's, MDA will only play him at center. so the forecast for harrell getting real minutes is bleak (barring injury). i would say he's solid trade bate. might be used as a sweetener to get a deal done at the deadline since he probably wont be used much here under MDA.

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

balcoholic is almost always wrong, but I think he's right about people not becoming great rebounders? It seems to pass the test of history.

The stats you quoted aren't quite fair - minutes played certainly impacts the number of rebounds a player is able to get. In his final season at Duke Boozer played 28. MontrezL played 29 and 35 his last 2 seasons at Louisville.

Boozer's rebound 'rate' was better than Harrell's at college (12.2 per 40 compared to Harell's best of 11.5 per 40 --> but just under or over 10 each other year).

Having said that, I don't think Boozer was ever a bad rebounder? First year out he was grabbing 7.5 per game in limited minutes (12 per 40), and continued at about that rate his career.
    Further, Harrell's rookie season rebounding rate appears to be the anomaly in his career to date. It was 7 per 40, but in every other situation hovered around the 10 mark per 40 (Louisville, RGV). I'd expect his rebounding to improve this season to his 'normal' level (10 per 40) - which is not a hopeless number, not an elite rebounder, just average.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Watching Harrel not clean the glass in Summer League is what has scared me the most. He should have grabbed every single rebound out there. He is a man among boys.

14. basketballholic

Yup...

15. abaker28

abaker28 Member

So no news then?

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

He didn't have the new big time shoe deal.

He wasn't dating Khloe at that time either. Lol

OR the big head.

That team had great chemistry.

17. dmoneybangbang

Doesn't need to be great, just good or merely average. Harrell actually is very effective within 9 feet offensively, has a pretty looking baby hook when he doesn't dunk. If he can get it together between the ears then he could be very disruptive defensively with his elite length.

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I apologize for bumping up an old thread BUT i didn't want to start another paging Codman thread.

Looking at the boxscore, Detroit is basically committing on court murder of the Hawks right now. Codman hinted to us about birds being in play and I can only assume it's the Hawks roster and not the Pelicans' as they've predictably imploded over the past 10 games.

Millsap anyone?

19. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

If this would happen id be fappin

20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I wonder what % of dick that would be. #pagingDDforverification

Pen15clubber likes this.