1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OHMSS] Euro vs NBA : Who's Better?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by OHMSS, Sep 23, 2011.

1. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Just confirms what Mike Fratello and Chris Kaman already said. That European basketball is more physical than the NBA is:

http://www.heinnews.com/basketball/i...er-atmosphere/

Chris Kaman is playing for the German national team for the second summer in his career at the 2011 EuroBasket, but the Los Angeles Clippers center is still getting used to the more physical and team-orientated European game and fans being closer and more involved in the action.

“It’s a little more physical and the game is played a little more slower. And the court is a little bit smaller. So you don’t have as much room,” said Kaman at the EuroBasket warm-up tournament Supercup in Bamberg, Germany.

Kaman said the European game is more fundamental and has less one-on-one isolation than the NBA.

“Here everybody is ready to give the ball up for their teammates to make shots. Everybody is playing together on a string. I think it’s a bit slower but it’s a bit more fundamental. It’s a bit more solid at the core of basketball. It’s more basketball,” explained Kaman.

The camaraderie of Euro ball reminds 29-year-old Grand Rapids, Michigan native, who played for Germany at the 2008 pre-Olympic tournament and the Beijing Games, of his times back in college at Central Michigan University.

“It’s more of a team thing and I like the concept a lot,” he said.

“Together as a team you do stuff, you eat all our meals together, we room together. To come here it’s refreshing. It’s a lot different than what I’m used to for the last eight years in the NBA. So I enjoy it.”

German national team coach Dirk Bauermann recalled Kaman’s first summer three years ago and how he struggled to cope with the physicality of the game in Europe.

“I remember when we played Croatia in the pre-Olympics (Kaman) told me “Next year I am going to bring my American football gear. It’s a skills game. But they let you get away with murder in the lane. What is that?’”

Bauermann said Kaman complained back then that the advantage he has skills wise was being taken away with the physicality.

“That’s just not right,” Kaman told Bauermann.

Now combine that with what Mike Fratello said:

Just like I have been saying in this forum all along.

http://twitter.com/#!/ismailsenol/st...28661882372098
    http://twitter.com/#!/ismailsenol/st...28801833705472

Mike Fratello: "It's a more physical game over here. NBA rules helped change the game that brought scoring up. This is a man's game over here."

Mike Fratello: "I'm very anxious to see the reaction from the NBA players that come over here. They'll be awakened to the style of bball."

But of course, some random fans on clutchfans.net know better than Noah, Fratello, and Kaman........

2. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

The nba has evolved to suit the talents of it's players. The play makers in the nba are so good at getting in the lane, + the defense is quicker and more athletic, making passing to cutters much harder. In Europe, the players are considerably less athletic, making for a more NCAA style of play.

3. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

That's just an untrue American myth.

4. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

OHMSS threadjacking posts from the DMo thread, needs to b merged into International

I know this is a bit off topic, but for those who might be interested...

Deron Williams played his first official European basketball game. It was a EuroChallenge game, which is the third level of European continetal basketball, after the Euroleague, and the Eurocup.

They play a 2 game aggregate series. The winner advances into the higher second level league the Eurocup.

These are the stats and box score of Deron Williams in his first official game in Europe. (Keep in mind this is a third tier league competition by European standards:

35 Minutes

3-15 (20%) Field Goals
    1-7 (14.3%) 3 Point Field Goals
    8-8 (100%) Free Throws

15 Points
    9 Assists
    2 Rebounds

3 Steals
    0 Blocks

4 Fouls
    2 Turnovers

Box Score:

http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_KNce8...MZ6JB01.season_2012.roundID_8594.teamID_.html

5. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

keep in mind the NBA is a tier one league by WORLD standards.

6. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Euroleague is also considered a top tier league by world standards. So I am not sure what your point is. Nonetheless, EuroChallenge, the game in question, is not.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, the Euroleague is considered a minor league, just like the MLS compared to the premier league.

DD

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

How is euroleague a minor league?

Its the top tier basketball in europe.

Is it as good as NBA? Debatable. But to call euroleague a minor league is plain baseless and fact less.

9. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

The NBA is another level than the Euroleague. It's not debatable, and I would look at it more like a minor league system. Probably better then the NBA's development league yes, that is debatable.

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Would you consider the Euroleague the next best league after NBA?

I would. I think the top few Euroleague teams would hang around a little lower than average teams in NBA, so yes the best teams in euroleague will be better than the worse teams in NBA.

D-League is a minor league, but to say Euroleague is a minor league is to say it is on the same level as D-league, which is just not true at all.

11. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

Completely agree. Calling the Euroleague a minor league is very demeaning. There is a lot of talent and a different style of play. Yet, the NBA is still the cream of the crop.

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If you took the 12 best Euroleague players (or at least the 12 players whose talents best meshed with one another's) and made them an NBA team, I have no doubt that they could compete admirably in the NBA.

I would perhaps even be willing to extend this remark to a second team made up of the best players 13-24.

But I do not believe that any actual current Euroleague team (even the top teams) could consistently compete with NBA teams over an 82-game schedule, where not only athleticism but also DEPTH is just so key.

I sincerely do not mean to "knock" the Euroleague, which produces some great players and very good teams. I'm just being a realist.

13. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

To make a soccer analogy.

NBA = La Liga and Premier League.

EuroLeague = Maybe the German and France Leagues.

D-League = MLS and the Russian Leagues i.e Minor League

14. killakim

killakim Member

i thot analogies were to make things simpler.. :confused:

15. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

No problems with any of what you said. There is a reason the NBA is the best league in the world.

16. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Yeah, because every "minor league" in the world pays millions of dollars to their players and coaches and have teams with budgets over $40 million. Yep, that's absolutely typical of all "minor leagues"..............

17. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

That's funny considering the Euroleague is considered at least equal, or maybe even better in world terms than the Premiere League is. Since the Premiere League is just considered the #2 to #3 best league, while Euroleague is universally considered at LEAST the #2 league.

Euroleague is in an equal or even higher tier worldwide in its sport than the Premiere League is.

18. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

It would just be awesome if some sort of agreement could be had where the NBA champ could play the top team coming out of the top foreign league in a game or even better a series. Have the home court dictate which set of rules is used so neither team has an advantage (other than whomever would have home court).

19. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

You would need at least $40 million dollars to fund a "budget" for a minor league baseball team here.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

this has no bearing on anything. rashard lewis was the (one of the) highest paid players in the NBA for a while. by your logic, that means he should be the best player. which was never close to true.

don't confuse compensation with quality.

moreover, stop acting like a vagina with regards to european basketball.