1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Cardinals

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Texans win ten out of their last twelve..... Texans 34 Arizona 31
    By the end of the year our defense will actually dominate.....esp. in takeaway margin.

1 person likes this.
  2. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Puff, puff, pass, fool. Puff, puff, pass.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

He's the same guy he has always been...if he hasnt had a dominant year, it isnt because of decreased ability to play the game. There are far too many factors in football that can change things from week to week.

The fact remains that we have nobody that can match up with him. I would say Dunta of a couple years ago may have been able to try and cover him...but the Dunta of today is a #2 CB on a top 15 defense.

This game is going to be trouble if we arent scoring TDs in the redzone. FGs wont be cutting it this week.

4. right1

right1 Member

Have the Texans played a team with a QB and a wide receiver corps like the Cardinals this year? No. Even Sanchez torched our secondary. What the Colts did against Warner was successful. Gonna have to blitz like mad with LB's, DE's and even some Safety blitzes at times. I would definitely like to see more blitzing from Cushing and Demeco Ryans. Blitz, blitz, blitz all day long. We can definitely score points against their defense.

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

No, I completely understand that he's still the awesome player that he's always been. Teams might be doubling him more or something..

For whatever reasons, he just hasn't been as effective as expected. Dunta can't do it by himself. Hopefully, the schemes will work on Sunday.

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Again, this is a game where I could see us scoring willy-nilly on Arizona and winning the game 38-17. Or, I could just as easily see Zona's offense go off on us with Boldin and Fitzgerald each getting a score or two, and winning the game by 2 TDs or more. Meh, I'm liking the ninja penguins myself.

7. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Career highs for both Warner and Schaub, and probably Warner goes down from wearing his arm/shoulder out. Potential 100 point game

Texans 45 Cards 42

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I can see That
    Cardinals are a pass happy team
    and
    The Texans Secondary is no great shakes

The keys is Pressure up front

Rocket River

9. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

I may be confused, but...

it seems like a team might need a SAFETY to beat a team like the Cardinals.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

2 points is not enough to beat the Cardinals.

Not even close.

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

The big play potential with our defensive backs facing Fitzgerald is off the charts. I'm expecting 2 if not 3 40+ yd TDs for him.

The upside is that we should be able to contain their running game (weak) about as well as we did the Raiders.

Plus, always a chance that a good sack on Warner takes him out of the game and puts in Leinart. That would all but seal the outcome. Of course, they could say the exact same thing about Schaub and Sexy Rexy.

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

The key comes down to us not giving up big plays/blowing assignments like we did in the first three weeks. We can get away with it against Tennessee because their offense wasn't as potent, but you spot the Cardinals a couple of easy TD's on big plays and we're in trouble. Otherwise it is a very winnable game, especially if we have the ground game going.

Hopefully our defense is past that now after building some confidence last week. Hopefully the foursome of Quin, Barber, Pollard, and Dunta can give us some stability in the secondary. Reeves could be back too so we don't have to see any of Bennett. We'll take our lumps in the passing game but hopefully nothing big, and hopefully we'll find a way to force a turnover.

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

really? Now, he may have a big day, but i don't know if i see him doing 3 40+ yard TD receptions...he hasnt even had 1 40yard reception all year.

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

it always amazes me how ill-informed too many fans are about the blitz and how potentially catastrophic it can be if done with a lot of frequency by... well a defense as untalented as houston's.

blitzing a LB (the texans can't afford to blitz anyone from their secondary) while your rather pedestrian front 4 gets little push and your secondary struggles to properly cover their assignments creates a huge, Huge, HUGE advantage for the offense, especially one as good as arizona's. warner would absolutely pick apart a defense as bad as houston's blitzing all day long.

i personally think the texans' best (term used loosely) chance involves a conservative, bend-don't-break approach. stay in your lanes, cover your assignments, and don't let anyone get behind you; hope your front 4 can get pressure, your secondary doesn't continually get caught out of position and you can continue to create third-and-longs. oh, and your offense has long, sustained drives that end in TDs.

that, to me, is houston's only chance defensively.

15. rezdawg

I'd take that to mean that he is due for a big one...not the other way around, specially against our secondary.

Regarding the blitzing stuff...is it me or do the Texans create no pressure on blitzes? We seriously have to be one of the worst teams at creating penetration when we attempt to blitz. I cant tell you how many times Ive seen us send one or two people, only to have the QB sit in the pocket as if nothing had happened. I do think that we need to get Cushing into the backfield...but our blitzing needs to be done cautiously. There would be nothing worse than sending 2 blitzers while allowing Arizona to maintain a pocket around Warner. Thats a death sentence, even if we had Troy P and Ed Reed as our safeties.

16. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I actually get the feeling we will have a close game but the score won't break 30. It will literally all be riding on the defenses of both teams and who can get their running game working.

17. rezdawg

Nick Scurfield reported on Twitter that Brian Cushing is not currently with the team because of illness. They expect him to be fine by Sunday...but still, wtf.

18. right1

right1 Member

Well, Ric...I'm well-informed about the blitz and its advantages and disadvantages. I tend to think that without constant pressure on Warner, he will comfortably pick apart the Texans secondary when given a lot of time to throw. You might not want to call someone with a different perspective "ill-informed" just because they have a different strategy and defensive philosophy than you. We'll see what works. Personally, I'd like to see Cushing and Ryans blitz more this season and I love the "old school" Safety blitz a la Bubba Mcdowell. We'll see what works on Sunday.

19. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12326636

This is worrisome.

20. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

This should be an entertaining game...I hope the Texans kick their arse, but IMHO, it depends on which Texans show up...I can see the D putting no pressure and Warner having a career day...Hope I'm wrong..