1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[official] Rams @ Texans 10/13/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

I would rather lose this game than let Schaub think he can lead this team to a super bowl. We need to start rebuilding around TJ/Case and ultimately let Case be the starter.

I know it won't happen soon, but Schaub needs to lose more games and I THINK it'll happen tomorrow again.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

This is getting sad. Fans already giving up on the season. Wants the team to lose :rolleyes:

3. Mr. Dominant

I'm not giving up man. I'm a die hard fan.

But it's just sickening to the stomach watching Schaub be our main QB.

A true Houstonian knows it's time for quits for our Schaub, he gave us some good years and a lot of hope last year. But he doesn't have the sling in the arm that we need in our QB to resurrect us from last years downfall to a Super Bowl appearance for the first time ever this year. As much as a great person he is, Schaub will never in his entire career reach the Super Bowl. It's better we all admit it than waste our brain cells and time/devotion to our team that needs a def change at QB... and until that happens, we'll be up and running again.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Best case scenario is that Schaub gets over his funk, we win the division and go to the SB. Then we draft a QB and REALLY have an open competition in next year's training camp.

WAY too early to start talking about tanking....

5. Indaface

Indaface Member

I understand this point of view but as long as Schaub can get his head out of his as slong enough to get this year's team to the playoffs then that's all I want. Then next year they can get rid of Schaub and bring in some new blood. TJ/Case should only come in if the playoffs are out of reach.

6. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

schaub cannot take us to the superbowl. i don't want to tank, i want to put the young ones in and let them try to steer the ship. let's see what they got.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You're not going to have your cake and eat it too with Kubiak. If Schaub gets this team to the playoffs he will be here for another year...starting...being less than mediocre and dragging the careers of Watt, Cushing and Andre with him.

Might as well be purgatory.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Why do you assume Schaub supporters are a collection of delusional morons, guy who repeatedly spells lose "loose"? No one is going to think a decent performance against an inferior team is going to erase the past 5 (+) weeks.

Benching Schaub is *not* a good thing; their only hope is that Schaub gets right. They're not reeling off 8-10 wins over the final 10 with Yates or Keenum starting. The "look he's good" game is week 9 against the Colts - if he plays well these next two weeks. If they rip off three in a row and he returns to '11-era Schaub form, the team will be fine and *that’s* the best-case scenario.

If Schaub is officially Skittles… hunker down for a long, cold winter. The chances of finding a replacement as good as the best Schaub with the snap of your fingers won’t be easy. We could be witnessing the end of this opportunity.

9. Mr. Dominant

If anything to help the point, Case was undrafted by us and I guarantee he'll play every quarter like it's his last to try to make the starting line up.

Just imagine.... their is SO much potential on Case vs our aging Schaub.

Again, I know it won't happen but Case has a better chance at us making the Super Bowl this year than we do with Schaub. And yes, sadly it has come to this. But it is our only hope. We have to do this. We have a few all stars that won't last for a perennial amount of time and we can't let Schaub hinder their goals and endeavors for a Super Bowl victory.

10. Hey Now!

So Schaub digging himself out of this hole and playing well enough to take us to the playoffs is a bad thing? Wow... Again, the degree of entitlement among a lot of you is staggering.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You are probably right, but I'm willing to give him one more shot this year. If he can just get back to his normal slightly better than average self and not screw things up, I think we can ride our defense and running game to the SB. But time is running out because the colts are not going to hand us the division like the last couple of years.

No matter what happens, we should cut Schaub this offseason and either 1) draft a QB to groom or B) start seriously grooming Keenum.

Schaub should not be our QB next year. I'm pretty much done defending him.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

Are you satisfied with another one and done playoff appearance as a wild card tie am again? If so, pathetic. I bet you wouldn't walk up to Andre and tell him he's entitled.

13. Hey Now!

I get it - you went to UH, you appreciate Keenum for all the wonderful things he did while he was there... but this is so monumentally preposterous, this notion that Keenum gives us a better shot at making the Super Bowl...

He's a scrub, from a long line of fan favorite scrubs: Bucky Richardson, Major Applewhite, Vince Young, Tim Tebow........... Case Keenum doesn't move the needle beyond what bad Matt Schaub moves it. If Schaub is Skittles, the team's chances are dead.

14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Because we don't know that, and the Schaub crowd keeps going out of their way to assume the worst about alternatives in order to justify the status quo.

Football is an incredibly conservative, risk-averse culture. The idea that if Yates/Keenum were good enough, the Texans would've seen it in camp... sorry, it's hogwash. The 2001 Patriots saw Tom Brady in training camp and preseason. They sat him behind Drew Bledsoe (comparable in value to Schaub in recent years) until injury forced their hand. The 1999 Rams saw Kurt Warner in training camp and preseason. They were going to sit him behind journeyman Trent Green until their hand was forced.

Am I saying that Yates is Brady or Warner? Of course not. But there are numerous other examples on smaller scales. The bottom line is that the popular logic of "we know he can't be the guy" is silly. You don't know that until you actually see him play in meaningful games.

We've heard for years about what a great offensive coach Gary Kubiak is, and obviously he has two great backs and a reliable offensive line (at least in run blocking). Why do we just assume that Schaub is so impossible to replace in this offense? The only comparison we've had is to Yates in 2011 -- a rookie that spent the first 10 weeks with the third stringers and practice squad guys and had basically zero meaningful reps.

I don't know why some folks simply assume the worst and basically stick with Schaub out of fear of the unknown. It's classic fear-driven NFL thinking. I tend to look at it more progressively -- if Matt isn't the guy, and I think it's clear now that he isn't, the team needs to start the evaluation process ASAP and begin finding out who can be the guy.

1 person likes this.
  15. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Schaub has been getting a lot of run in the national press the past couple of weeks.

Here's Peter King saying he's the player to watch going into Week 6 (link), and then another article on his MMQB (written by Sage Rosenfels) on the anguish that Schaub is probably feeling based on his recent poor play (link).

I thought that maybe the Texans should have brought back Greg Knapp after he was released by the Raiders, but he ended up going back to Denver to work with Manning. He's been around Schaub a lot and may have been a steadying voice for him while he's going through his recent struggles.

Human instinct might dictate Kubiak to call this game against the Rams like the Texans used to play at the end of the Carr era, but I think he needs to give Matt more opportunities to make plays to see if he can "shoot himself out of the slump." Otherwise, you're going to further erode his confidence and it might not be there if you need him to bring you back in the games against KC or Indy the next couple of weeks.

16. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

not that i'm saying Schaub will do it, but the same exact things were said about
    Eli and Flacco and numerous other QBs before they reached the Super Bowl. i mean, you don't reach it until you do. and if you do you may never reach it again. but if you haven't done it people will always say you never will. ugh, my brain hurts.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

Eli and Flacco were young. Schaub is 32 and the trend has been going down since last season. He's slower, his arm is weaker and his decision making is not as sharp. Its natural. He's not going to get better.

18. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

our d is #1 in yardage against.
    schaub is literally killing us.

edit: he's never been good enough. i'd rather just run the ball, punt if needed, d up, play field position and grind out wins.
    kubes is an idiot, schaub sucks.

19. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

age is irrelevant when fans said the QB was never going to take their teams to the super bowl.

20. Hey Now!

LOL, what??? Let's add delusional if you think fans and Andre Johnson have made the same commitment/investment in this team......

They've never been a one-and-done wildcard team but... Satisfied? No, why would that satisfy me? But the realistic goal is to make the playoffs and take your chances - you never know. I don't have wild aspirations beyond that.