1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Pirates

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Please keep this to talk about the series. As usual no Play-by-Play, or general Astros talk. If you need play by play see one of the many other sites that have game casts.

9-24 Brett Myers, RHP vs. James McDonald, RHP 6:05 on FSH

9-25 Bud Norris, RHP vs. Zach Duke, LHP 6:05 on My20

9-26 J.A. Happ, LHP vs. Paul Maholm, LHP 12:35 on FSH

2. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

I'll be the Debbie Downer and say WWL, so much for .500 :(

3. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

4. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

That was a real nice defensive play, followed up with a hit.

Sanchez' error was pretty awful. Ball hit right at him with not much on it. Myers and Wallace helped avoid more damage.

5. BrooksBall

82 SO and only 14 BB for CJ in 85+ games.

He'll need to keep hitting for average and power even after pitchers fully adjust to him and his BABIP regresses 'cause it's unlikely that he'll develop his eye much at this stage.

#5 BrooksBall, Sep 24, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  6. BrooksBall

We are still dead last in BB, 32 behind the Pirates coming into this game, and that's with Berkman still leading the team with 60.

We're also dead last in HR and SLG. We probably improved marginally in these areas since the AS break while we likely got even worse or stayed the same in BB.

Basically, most optimism for next season should lie in our starting pitching and bullpen. As you see with the Padres, or saw with the '05 Astros, strong pitching can take you pretty far even with a subpar offense.

#6 BrooksBall, Sep 24, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  7. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Agreed, and I think we need to especially look at our bullpen. I think we have a starting rotation that compete as long as they don't come out so flat like this year. The bullpen still has some holes in it.

8. BrooksBall

Even though our starting pitching has been largely responsible for this 2nd half surge, I think our bullpen may end up being an area of strength next season.

Not saying that you were just looking at the last few games but if you were, the pitchers mostly responsible for those meltdowns were Fulchino, Chacin, Paulino and Lindstrom.

Paulino is rusty and hans't pitched out of the pen in a while. He actually looked really good until he left that hanger up for Pudge. Plus, he'll probably be starting again next season.

Fulchino may still be having physical problems and may not even be back next season. Not sure what their plan is with him given the glut of bullpen arms.

Not sure if Chacin will be back either. Don't know his contract situation but I don't think he'll be used much in key situations either way.

Lindstrom has been battling back issues all season but it'll be interesting to see what they do with him. I think he's arb-eligible.

Overall, we have added some arms since the trade deadline, either through trade or from the minors. We also have some other arms that may be added back into the mix next season: Gervacio, Arias, etc... It's hard to predict but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns into an area of strength, possibly even our greatest strength, depending on how much our starters are able to sustain what they've done in the 2nd half this season.

9. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

yeah I was referring to Fulchino, Lindstrom, and Chacin. I guess the first 2 could be suffering ailments, but if it's anything thats effecting their pitching, they shouldn't be pitching. Leads me to believe it's nothing serious and they just suck. :p

10. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

that's a pretty clutch stat for Johnson, .342 BA with 2 outs and RISP.

11. BrooksBall

Yes, it is. Hopefully it continues if there is such thing as a player hitting better in clutch situations than in any other situation. Not everybody believes there is such thing. They'll argue that it's just random and you'll see wide variations from year to year for most players.

Having said that, CJ has hit well in those situations this season.

Coming into this game, he had 42 PA with 2 outs and RISP. His OPS was 1.063 before that last hit.

12. BrooksBall

It very well could be but 2 if not all 3 of those guys may not even be back next season so it may not be relevant to the original discussion (projecting next year's bullpen performance).

Even if 1 or more of them are back, they may not be used in key situations. I think that is already a given with Chacin.

13. BrooksBall

Myers should get his 6 IP to keep the streak alive but he hasn't been particularly sharp tonight.

14. BrooksBall

Another late game lead.

Another chance for our bullpen to get back on track.

15. BrooksBall

Lee looks hurt after running into the wall.

I hate to say it but a better LFer makes that play.

16. BrooksBall

Well, Myers keeps the streak going despite not having his best stuff.

One of the runs was unearned and another was a Carlos Lee is fat earned run.

17. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fat, what gives you the right to call him fat.I'm sick of guys like yourself sitting on a message board calling someone fat.

1 person likes this.
  18. liljojo

liljojo Member

You can always count on the Pirates to get you out of a slump.

19. Landlord Landry

lol. awesome.

20. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

LMAO!