1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Blue Jays

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 30, 2019.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't think it ever got the attention it deserved, but Springer refined the hell out of his approach as a hitter.

He struck out a ton as a prospect, and when he first came to the majors. Now over the last 3 seasons, he actually strikes out less than the league average while still working counts and driving the ball.

It still feels highly unlikely he's an Astro beyond next season, but at this point I feel far better about him surviving an athletic decline than I did a few years ago. Still injury prone though.

H-Town Info and Nook like this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If the Astros come at Springer with the same sort of aggressiveness and value they came at with Altuve and Verlander, I think they have a shot at retaining him.

You do have to be careful on the years though.

3. Buck Turgidson

Crazy fun game. After ****ing up a line drive into a 2B that led to a run in the top of the 7th, Josh Rojas tied it the bottom with a 2 out 2 run HR, following a bunt single that Dyson baaaarely beat out at 1B. Bottom of the 8th, leadoff guy K's but gets to first on a passed ball. Single gets him to 3rd, next guy K's, then he's balked home when the reliever completely forgets how to do a proper pickoff move to 1B. Archie Bradley made the 9th very interesting, Dodgers were about to load the bases with 2 outs and Bellinger due up, but AZ 3B recovered from bobbling a bad hop and threw Turner out at 1B by about an eyelash.

Rock Block, No Worries and mikol13 like this.
  4. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

4 years, 80 mil should do the trick

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

For Springer? I highly doubt that does it.

mikol13 likes this.
  6. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Maybe 4 years/90 mil. That's the most I'll pay for him.

banzai likes this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think Correa and Cole are gone. Pretty sure Springer will re-sign for something like you suggest. I would like us also to work out an extension for Brantley. A core of Altuve, Springer, Alvarez, Brantley, and Bregman will keep us in contention the next five years, and that's if Tucker doesn't work out. Hopefully we will trade Correa in the off-season for pitching and prospects. Verlander, Greinke, McCullers, Whitley?, re-signed MIley?, is pretty shaky, but hopefully some of our young arms will work out. Surely (don't call me Shirley) a few of our minor league position players will be solid contributors.

H-Town Info likes this.
  8. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

I would like to keep the professional hitter for another year after his current contract is over. Extend him for year for 18 mil.

Would be great to have Brantley, Springer, Tucker and have Straw/prospect for the bench for the next couple of years if they keep Springer/Brantley. I think they'll trade Marsnick this offseason to save some money for some prospects. Hopefully, we can develop a CF in the minors to come to take over Springer in CF and move him to LF/RF when Brantley leaves.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They’re not trading Correa for prospects. Not when his value is at his lowest and he still has 2 more years under control.

10. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

If I could get a # 2 or 3 starter and a high level prospect for Correa, I would do it in a heartbeat. We basically play without him anyway

banzai likes this.
  11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

After he is World Series MVP this year and next they'll have to keep him. :)

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Say he gets healthy and provides a .900 OPS in the playoffs?

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We need the Framberlator to show up today.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Then he’s worth more to the Astros over the next 2 years.

He is one heck of a playoff performer. They need to win as many championships with champion level players.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They acquired Cole without having to give up anybody of note.

There is a time and place for the Correa trade... but it’s not this offseason.

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

That 2 years of control is valuable to our hypothetical trade partner as well.

Whether he stays or not, and no mater what he does in this years playoffs, whoever he ends up with has to ask how valuable that 2 years of control is if he keeps landing on the IL. It might come down to who most wants to gamble.

17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Altuve literally loves him some basepath outs.

everyday eddie and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

There's that Altuve baserunning we all know and love

arkoe and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

:(

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.