1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama is a Sensitive Man!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Joshaaronb, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Joshaaronb

Joshaaronb Member

Anyone else hear Obama make fun of the special Olympics on Leno tonight. I don't have the exact wording but Obama was talking about how he bowled a 129 in the White House bowling alley, Leno snickered and laughinly mocked him after the crowd cheered, then Obama jokingly said "I know, like the special olympics of something".

2. Pimphand24

Pimphand24 Member

Yea I saw it too. I think he's going to take some heat for that one.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

The Teleprompter wouldn't allow him to say that.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That was definitely a mistake on Obama's part.

The teleprompter jokes don't really hit the mark. He's just spent two days straight doing town hall meetings without a teleprompter and does just fine.

Making of fun of the idea that someone would use a tool that every other politician and speaker uses, also doesn't make sense.

I'm in no way saying not to continue to use the joke, but I'm saying why it isn't funny or in any way applicable.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Never go full r****d, man.

6. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vE0yAEvVsUo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vE0yAEvVsUo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Fortunately for him most of the audience didn't seem to hear the "joke" under the laughter. He should stick to what he does best: picking NCAA brackets.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

That's pathetic.

I also expect to hear a Palin comment come out chastizing him for it.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Obama pulled a Drexler.

[​IMG]

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

10. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I'm shocked NBC didn't cut it out before it aired.

11. Artesticle

Artesticle Member

I just heard that Russia is now withdrawing from this year's Special Olympics. This is an international fiasco.

12. Rocket1

Rocket1 Member

Is this really that big of a deal?

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

liberal media for you

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

"I think it's important to see that words hurt and words do matter. And these words that in some respect can be seem as humiliating or a put-down to people with special needs do cause pain and they do result in stereotypes."

15. Rocket1

Rocket1 Member

Yep still not seeing it. I can understand that if you take what he said out of context then maybe it might hurt your feelings. He wasn't directly insulting anyone in a malicious manner.

If he said "yes Jay my bowling skills are on par with a r****ded person" I could totally see your angst.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Comments like these are the risk of going on shows like that, and really anytime you are in the public spotlight and you are not reading or reciting prepared statements. It was a big mistake from a PR standpoint, and I'm really embarrassed that he said it. We all say stupid stuff though, and I don't think this should follow him beyond this weekend.

17. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Definately F'd up on that one.

18. Rocket1

Rocket1 Member

BINGO

Sadly we will drag it on and on and on pretending that no one else makes silly errors from time to time.

19. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Because it was done in front of a live audience they had no choice. I'm sure someone in the audience had already Twittered it to the world by then anyway.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It happens all the time to politicians. W, Clinton, Gore, Bush 1 all had to deal with it.