1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NY Times: Lin Does a Lot by Not Doing Too Much

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Feb 24, 2013.

1. CarolNYC

CarolNYC Contributing Member

Actually, two 7 turnover games, three 0 turnover games and six 1 turnover games. I think that 0 and 1 are less than '2 or more', but maybe you use different math. :p

2. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

In the end you need role players, weather that means avg 17 or 14 it depends on the situation and the interaction with other player. Lin can be a high quality role player, actually more. Lakers had Derek Fisher, Heat had Chalmers, Rockets had Kenny. Harden is the #1 option on offense. As I write this, I realize that offense isn't the problem. It's defense. I think this back court is weak on defense....will that improve? If the guys upfront can make up for this weakness we'll be O.K. Asik is a monster on D but we also need a strong power forward to make up for weak D on the back court. I think a front court should avg 2.5 block minimum. Asik accounts for 1 so I would like to see 1.5 out of the power forward. All previous championship teams have this, maybe the Heat are the only exception (the second one championship) but they have 4 or 5 monster defenders.

3. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Lin had 7 turnovers in a game only twice this season vs MIN and LAL, both of which we won, but he had 0 turnover in the four games vs ORL (preseason), DET, BOS and GSW.

He probably never has more than 7 turnovers in any game in his entire NBA career.

Your eyes fool you a lot.

4. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

The truth hurts and you can't handle it.

5. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

:grin::grin::grin:

6. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

You beat me in the six 1 turnover games. I got the other two stats. Great evidence.

7. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Just so we can have your version of the truth why don't you post it for us? Yesterday you balked when I called you out for suggesting that coach would "almost" rather lose that allow Jeremy to have a good game. So, sport, since the wool is obviously obscuring my ability to see the truth what exactly is it?

8. Stash Musial

Stash Musial Member

there was this little experiment called the dream team that assembled the most talented basketball players in the world and they were only allowed to use 1 basketball. And *gasp* it still worked! Despite limited practice and game time. Despite 4 guys playing off the ball that are used to playing with the ball in their hands. Dwyane Wade regrets playing off the ball in Miami. How in the world to the Thunder manage to stay above .500?

Kyries usage/assist rate is the same as Lins was last year.

Lin plays defense?

Playing basketball doesnt equip people to assemble a basketball team. See Jordan. Furthermore, playing basketball doesnt equip people to make cogent arguments about Jeremy Lin or Kyrie Irving. See your responses in this thread.

Derek freaking Fisher?

9. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

First of all I don't insult people I don't agree with like you do. You guys are a little scary.

The "truth" is McHale is not objective about Lin and neither are a lot of people on this Forum so there's really no point in arguing with certain people like you.

10. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Lin has a good offensive game about 1 in 3 (or 1 in 2 in recent days as he has been improving). Lin has a good defensive game almost every game (ranked 19th in the NBA in RAPM) and a top rebounding, stealing, and blocking PG, but he doesn't always "look good" doing it (based on what people are used to seeing on defense). He helps when teammates get beat, and is willing to let his guy score and put up big stats if it means a lower FG% for the opposing team for a given possession.

He would have more frequent good offensive games if he were allowed to handle the ball more, but that is not how this offense is structured, so it is what it is until he improves his skillset in this particular offense. We have already seen him improve, so I have no doubt that his good offensive games will increase. I don't even worry about the last 2 games because he was playing with the flu, which affected his shot.

For those who value offense far more than defense (including all-star voters), Lin looks mediocre (and worse earlier in the season). For those who value the way defense "looks," Lin might still look mediocre, even defensively. For those who value media opinion, well the media has trashed Lin defensively over the years (for whatever reason), so they might think Lin is weak defensively.

In terms of winning this season, I think the keys have been Harden's offense, Asik's defense/rebounding, and Lin's defense. So we have a key wing scorer (and passer), along with defense at the key center and PG positions. Other players have chipped in of course in many areas, but I am referring to the key differentiators above what other teams have.

I can fully understand many of the LOH or even those who undervalue Lin, just like those who have undervalued him throughout his career (scouts, coaches, broadcasters, etc.).

That said, no matter how highly Morey rates Lin, Morey would trade Lin for Lillard in a heartbeat, as Lillard is rated far more highly around the league, and the perception of value is often more important than true value (hence assets and trade chips). Far easier to get your true star when you have what everyone else wants. As for Wall, I think that there is some dissension. Lin outplayed wall in their previous meetings, but Wall did well in their most recent game (though Lin was down with the flu), and I was impressed with Wall's willingness to pass rather than score.

1 person likes this.
  11. Roxnostalgia

But you're the paragon of objectivity when Lin is concerned?

12. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

Maybe not but at least I don't insult people because of their opinion.

13. liunatic

liunatic Member

1) Commonly understood that Kyrie can't guard anything. Also, Jeremy Lin does play good man 2 man defense, Kyrie is like the Amare stoudamire of defense
    2) I don't see Kyrie being the spot up shooter and off the ball player that Wade can be with lebron
    3) Yes Derek Fisher, Kobe's point guard during champ years. Played defense and could hit threes. Don't need to overpay some 20 year old that you dont even know if he can play off the ball, who plays even more porous defense than Jeremy Lin. Our backcourt defense is already bad, why make it worse?
    4) Much easier and cost effective to find someone that has Derek Fishers skill set. Also much more impactful to get a star front court player.
    5) Dont understand your usage argument. Kyrie's usage was close to 30% last year, and still close to 30% this year. Kyrie doesn't make the players around him better. He has a flashy game and can shoot but the team around him really isn't bad. He should be averaging more assists for a player with such high usage...
    6) In response to your last point, it does matter. You won't ever find a guy that has never played or touched basketball coaching and scouting basketball. It is extremely relevant to have experience in the area where you are coaching/scouting etc. Can you realistically say a person who has never played basketball can understand team dynamics and the intricacies of basketball?

Regardless, you do make good points :) and Kyrie may prove everything that I say is wrong...but pragmatically I would rather find a cheap shooter/defender at PG than Kyrie, and spend the money on a star forward

14. Roxnostalgia

You're trying to save face because you've been exposed for your sensational, baseless accusations against coach Mchale.

That said, I'm sorry if my calling you "sport" hurt your feelings.

15. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

Yes he plays good individual and team defense? Hell even McHale who never praises Lin in post-game interviews complimented Lin one time on his defense.
    Who would defer if Harden and Kyrie were in the same backcourt? One of them would ask for a trade before the season was over.

16. Stash Musial

Stash Musial Member

1. I think saying anyone on this current roster beside Asik playing 'good' defense would be disingenuous.

2. Kyrie just won the 3 point contest. All they do is spot up shoot.

3. Kyrie is not some 20 year old. Hes a top 5 player today. Arguably better than Harden.

4. If you get a top 5 player at PG and SG, then why cant you get a cost effective 4 instead of a cost effective PG?

5. My point is that Kyries usage and assist rates were/are equal to Lins. Yet you said you wanted more assists from Kyrie and that he wouldnt work in this offense. Yet Lin is fine in this offense with the same usage/assist rate?

6. Daryl Morey sucks at basketball.

17. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

You also said this:
    "In other words, you're the Kyrie Irving of dips!&#+s. "

Don't try to minimize your insults.

As for coach McHale there is TONS of evidence that backs up my opinion that he has a problem with Lin. I'm not the only one that feels that way on this forum. You just can't see it for some reason.

18. Roxnostalgia

Ah yes, I did. I had forgotten about that.

I stand by that evaluation of your posts though.

19. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

Well at least I'm great at something. :grin:

20. rocketblood713

I keep tellin LOF that the Rockets dont nee like to have 30 pts for the team to win it helps but thats not why they brought him they brought to run the offense and be a PG but for some reason they get all upset cause he had 13 pt 8 ast and 4 reb wen it still helps the team