1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY TIMES] A Truckload of Nike Shoes, Left as ‘Bait,’ Stings Chicago

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Aug 25, 2018.

1. conquistador#11

brings back memories! the get money boyz!
    Some people collect guns, some shoes others locks of hair. Who am I to judge. My favorite jordans are the retro 7 bugs, the marvin the martians and jordan 5 belairs after the fresh prince, oh and the Neymars, though I don't get the color way. it has nothing to do with Brasil, so I repainted them.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

If you are going to bring psychometrics in like IQ then you should know that low agreeableness (or high disagreeableness) in the big 5 personality model correlates very highly with criminality. This is a large part of the reason why there is a massive difference in criminality between males and females. Females tend to score much higher in agreeableness versus males in big 5 personality testing. IQ (and conscientiousness which is made up of orderliness and industriousness in the big 5 personality model) correlates more with success in life not criminality.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

for what it's worth I was able to use this topic in an ethics discussion at work this week, and this thread definitely helped. I appreciate seeing and learning from the different viewpoints that folks here took the time to express.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You should have read the PowerPoint you posted instead of just cherry picking the page that backed up your fallacy.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't get that far down as honestly it's hard to find time to dive into anything outside of work too much these days.

But I would think that family structure and poverty together have the highest correlation with homicide. It makes little sense that race would be a factor given the lack of any evidence in genetic differences in personality across all races, and if it were cultural you would then expect to see poor urban whites from broken homes have lower homicide rates that black, and you'd expect to see rich blacks from nuclear families have a higher homicide rate than rich whites.

6. Nook

Nook Member

For what point in Englewood? So the tax payers can pay to keep them in jail? The area has serious problems, not a handful of guys busting the lock on a loaded truck and stealing a handful of shoes.

7. jcf

jcf Member

Would you be ok if the policy was for the police not to respond to any theft calls in the neighborhood? Businesses could be looted. Homes could be stolen from?

I agree that violent crimes should be a higher priority, but I don't think you can simply give up on protecting people's property rights in a neighborhood just because there is a lot of violence there as well. (Now, whether the police have given up in some ways, I don't know and that would be a different discussion.) But simply saying theft can be ignored because there is a high murder rate wouldn't make me a happy if I was a business or resident there.

8. Nook

Nook Member

It is very hard to explain, unless you live in Chicago .... Englewood is famously bad ... I was looking at it from the view of residents in Englewood... they don’t trust the police, and honestly most of them were not happy residents were going on to be arrested for stealing shoes from the back of a truck.

I understand what you are saying and 99% of the time agree with you... but in Englewood, no.... there is a reason the city and cops immediately dropped all of it.

9. jcf

jcf Member

Ok. To state the obvious, that is one of tough problem to solve. Doesn't sound like police help is wanted (maybe trusted is more accurate). But abandoning the neighborhood is a poor result. Thanks for the heads up.

Nook likes this.
  10. Exiled

Exiled Member

this's how they caught the Dalton brothers

11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Make bail as time served already, which I'm sure is at least one night before the PC outrage. Tell them to return for sentencing. Give them probation. It's permanently on their record, and if they are caught again, they are given harsher sentencing.

That requires minimal resources yet still punishes them for breaking the law.