1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now Looking at Butler, Melo & P.G deals (do you think we gave up too much for CP3 ?)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClearLakeTX, Sep 23, 2017.

?

did we give up too much for CP3 on a expiring looking at butler, P.G, melo deals now ?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2017.
  1. Yes - we could've kept some assets to try to get a third star or looked at Butler or P.G

114 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. No - I'm ok with giving up what we gave even tho we couldn't get melo that wanted to be here

88 vote(s)
    43.6%
  1. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Besides beverly none of those guys were going to be used anyways on a D'antoni team. The Draft pick hurt though.

rockpileindisma likes this.
  2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

GARM has become embarassing since the Melo news broke, we have two of the best players in the NBA, great role players and still can sign a big piece later, yet everyone is crapping their pants and acting like we're a lottery team without any future.

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

but could dekker have been part of a pkg to get melo? either directly or thru a 3rd team?

or we had still dekker could have that made morey willing to let go of ego or ariza or capela (either directly or thru a 3rd team) to get melo?

4. Play07

Play07 Member

Oh Lou will who was almost 6th man of year who we have a first up for wasn't going to see playing time ?

Dekker who Mike D. Always had mins for when he was healthy wasn't going to see the floor ?

5. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Beverley is easily the worst player out of Lavine, Oladipo, and Kanter. So it's a no to me.

6. PatBev

PatBev Member

As our great GM said, "it's an arms race, you're either in the race or on the sideline"

Seems like a lot of people enjoy the sideline on here

7. vlaurelio

you don't think we got better by trading your sorry ass?

8. PatBev

PatBev Member

I think we got better but we still aren't close to GS and don't know if we are than OKC now or possibly even Minny depending on the players

I just don't see the point of all this talk of arms races, not wasting hardens prime, uping the risk, and closing the gap between GS if you not gonna go all in

It honestly baffles me how some think we are a serious contender to GS with just CP3. Seems like blind homerism and not knowing reality

I'll be happy to eat crow but don't be surprised if we have a second round and CP3 leaves

9. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Morey said at the beginning, when the trade was announced, that we gave the Clippers more than they might otherwise have gotten, and than we might otherwise have given, in order to do the deal early so we could then focus on using free agency to put together a roster around Harden and Paul, and to replace what we had lost.

So the question is, did that bet pay off? Yes, if the answer was Tucker, Black, and Mbah a Moute. No, if the answer was Melo or Paul George.

My view: In retrospect, by giving up too many of our most attractive or most easily moved assets in the Paul deal, we cost ourselves the ability to deal for any other major players. But if we had driven a tougher bargain with the Clips, that would have opened the bidding for Paul to other teams, and impaired our ability to move fast on filling out the roster.

Under the circumstances, I would have done what Morey did. You make the first move and hope it allows you to make another. It just didn't work out that way.

Plus: The story ain't over yet. The reason I'm not weepy about not getting Melo is that, like Morey, I think we can land a better player, or at least one who fits better on our team, within the next year.

10. dmoneybangbang

I don't think the TWolves are better than us as their offense and defense will still be an issue. I think we are a coin flip with OKC as they have depleted their depth to get PG and Melo.

I think our wing depth, length, and versatility is very underrated on here. Obviously we have great overall depth too.

11. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

We gave up half of team for CP3 playing one year!

12. vlaurelio

1. we just didn't get cp3. we got 2 more solid 3 & D guys
    so we've added cp3 + pjt + lmm

2. by playoffs time, anthony will be 34 years old, a year older, fatter, & slower. morey, mda, jh, cp3 all agreed that Melo at this point of his career isn't worth more than RA . i trust their judgement than some ramblings of an low bball iq fan.

3. who said this will be the final roster we go into the playoffs with?

13. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

No. The trade we made was fair. It only looks bad because of what George and Anthony were traded for. They were traded for pretty much nothing, so when comparing those two trades with the CP3 trade then it looks bad. Let's just be honest here. The Thunder got lucky as hell. They caught a huge break that Indiana refused to make a deal with the Cavaliers out of spite.

Indiana also refused a deal with Portland in which they would have gotten three first round picks or something like that. Indiana also refused to deal with the Lakers because they did not want the Lakers to win Paul George out of spite. In the end, Indiana did themselves no favors and went for a worse deal than they possibly could have gotten out of spite. Victor Oladipo and Domantas Sabonis is not a good deal for a player who is a top 15 player in the league regardless of what his 2018 free agency intentions are. The Oklahoma City Thunder got EXTREMELY lucky with this deal, but I tip my hat off to them.

Second, the Knicks had zero leverage in any trade that had to deal with Carmelo Anthony. They had none, and while you would think this is good for us you can also see that it is also bad for us. This is purely fan speculation, but other teams realized that the Knicks would not take Ryan Anderson at all. This mean that teams could wait for Carmelo Anthony to change his mind and be open to new teams. The problem is that there are only a very few teams that could realistically compete for a championship if the Warriors suffer injury. These teams are: The Rockets, Thunder, Spurs, and Cavaliers. Melo opened up to three of those teams, and guess what? The Thunder happened to have a player who doesn't have a Ryan Anderson deal. The Rockets and Cavs had no expiring that the Knicks would want thus leaving the Knicks with no choice other than trading for garbage and getting Anthony off the team.

So, no we didn't make a bad trade. The Thunder just took advantage of two teams going through incompetence. If we're being rational this entire thing can be traced back to the Pacers who completely flubbed the Paul George deal. If PG gets traded to the Thunder like the Pacers AGREED upon to before backing out like completely morons then the Thunder never become a destination for Carmelo Anthony. Remember, every team front office was stunned that Paul George was traded for what he was traded for.

I want to remind ClutchFans and make them realize that this is what we gave up for Chris Paul:

Lou Williams
    Patrick Beverley
    Sam Dekker
    Montrezl Harrell
    2018 first round pick

This is what the Rockets gained this off-season:

PJ Tucker
    Chris Paul
    Luc Mbah a Moute
    Tarik Black

We made an upgrade for every single player we traded away. The only valuable loss was and is the 1st round pick which will likely fall between 25-30 if the Rockets play up to standard. Think about it. A 55 win team that was one OT away from reaching the WCF for the second time in three seasons just improved at every position possible, and we now have two top 10 players. Don't try to diminish what the Rockets did because other teams improved, too. We didn't lose this off-season. Let's be some god damn underdogs this entire season. That's when we're at our best. Yall want to say we're the 5th best team in the West then sure. You guys go ahead and be a bunch of sadboys because OKC also wants to compete.

And Chris Paul isn't leaving.

14. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

You really think trading Ariza and Gordon for Melo makes us better? Because that's what the Knicks were asking us to do.

15. Tha_Dude

Very good post!

I would add that while OKC did get Melo and George on the cheap, neither one is likely to stay after this season. So, they essentially have a one year window to win it all and I still don't see that team getting past us, certainly not Golden State either.

IvanLCPM likes this.
  16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't follow the notion that melo will not stay in okc -- i don't see him giving up that $27M next summer

17. Tha_Dude

I think that depends on how well he plays this year. Obviously, if he has a poor season then you're likely right. But if he has a poor season then that also means Morey made the right decision and OKC won't be a threat, both are good news for us.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

even if he has a decent comeback season though nobody's paying him anything close to $27M, i think he grabs that $ in front of him like he always has

19. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

How to sign a big piece later with Anderson still in Rockets?

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ya there's really no way to add a decent player now without giving up some combo of gordon, ariza, or capela. nobody is taking anderson.

i'd love if morey could still work a S&T with MEM somehow for jamychal green, but of course that's a real longshot