1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Non star targets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 28, 2017.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

This town is big enough for two JJs

13 in 33 likes this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Jim Jackson gitrdun murry

3. dmoneybangbang

Be great to grab Tucker and Patterson if we strike out.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  4. finsraider

finsraider Member

Too much unknowns at this point. We aren't locking down role players until we get the centerpieces in place. It looks to me like we are going after TWO more stars...not just 1.

As for role players, the first and only consideration needs to be can I play this guy against Golden State? There's really not many players you can comfortably say "yeah, that guy won't get exposed".

If Anderson is out, I like 2Pat. Two way smart player that can guard along the perimeter. Probably takes the full MLE.

Vivi likes this.
  5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

2 more stars is impossible unless one is a buyout who signs with us for the minimum.

6. finsraider

finsraider Member

Not true. Ariza + Gordon + Anderson + non-guaranteeds is $45+ million in salary. We can TRADE for two more stars....just depends on who and when.

7. Asian Sensation

Mo Speights for cheap.

Good size, can play stretch 4 and fill in spot mins at the 5. Bangs inside, tough guy, Championship experience, veteran, played with CP3. Produces when given minutes... 9 ppg/4.5 rpg in just over 15mpg. Still relatively young.. hasn't turned 30 yet. Probably wants to beat GSW more than the norm.

WANT!

craguin, KDavis, Remlap and 2 others like this.
  8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

We buildng a super team.

We don't target non-stars.

We wait for them to target us.

Does NOT seem like anything is really cooking here....YET....

Nook likes this.
  9. Asian Sensation

We've always loved our blue collar role players though. From Mario Elie to Bev and the in betweens like Sura, Delfino, Camby etc. so I for one am just as excited about the bench as the starters.

A mastermind like Morey doesn't wait for them to target us. I'm sure he has a short list of guys in mind to fill out the roster regardless of who else we land.

10. Remlap

Remlap Member

ZaZa could come in handy.
    He knows how to take out Kawhi when needed ;)

11. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

How much is Mo Speights' worth on the market? I thought he played pretty well in GS, but he had to take the minimum to play with the Clippers last year. He's improved his 3 point shot to a very respectable level, knows how to play off the ball, and rebounds well. He's not very quick nor a plus defender, but for a bench big he seems fine. Yet, everyone always seems to forget him. He's got more guts than Ryan Anderson, but Anderson is making $20M/yr. I don't get it.

daywalker02 likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

A Bogut type....enforcer

13. BigTex

BigTex Member

I wanted to get Speights last season. Was shocked when he went to Clips for vet min.
    About 37% on threes. 58%True shooting. 20 & 10 per 36.
    Also was #1 in entire league in charges drawn

14. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

We need every and any three point shooter. Also some rim protectors. probably just one though. mostly just three point shooters

15. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Now I want my damn Korver warming the bench somewhere until his services are required.

Korver is destined for an Horry or Allen moment where he pulls a magic 3 out of his hat in a series winning shot.

An all time great shooter deserves to be on the team that preaches the gospel of threes.

Please just sign him and lock him somewhere until destiny calls.

16. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Incoming wall of text:

I'm not seeing CF's infatuation with Snell. He shot 40% from 3 last year, but I don't think he's the deadeye shooter his stats portrayed. He can't create his own offense, so if he's not making shots, he's useless, and IMO, you can get better "deadeye" shooters for the price he will command. He's long, but he's physically weak. Not to mention, he's also mentally weak; I could not see the guy lasting in a crucial playoff series against the Sperms or the Larriors. He will get overpaid so that's a CP3 pass from me. I'm gonna need @malakas opinion as well, as I'm not too sure how many of CFers have actually watched Bucks games to have such a strong opinion about him.

Ingles is the perfect fit of all the FA role player wings, but he's unfortunately a RFA I believe, so the Jazzholes will match offers.

Always been a fan of Korver but his game is very shaky in the playoffs when teams are willing to play tight defense and fight through screens. Would have expectations for him only in the regular season and if so, he'd be a great get. Maybe it changes with two elite playmakers but him and the Redick types who can't really get their own shot off besides the use of a screen always struggle in the playoffs.

2PAT is soft. I wouldn't mind him since he fits our system, but I would rather have other PFs over him, especially ones who can play the 5 as well. He seems like a realistic target for us though.

I prefer Taj even more especially when you consider who we might put at the 4 (seems like our options are Ryno or potentially Melo). Huge upgrade on defense/rebounding/toughness, and his pick and pop game is good enough where you have to respect it. Plus I'm not too worried about our offense (him being able to shoot 3's) with two elite playmakers on the court at all times. I would have him high on our priority list but he will probably command too much.

Tucker would be a good pick up too. i've never been impressed with his shooting and his defense has declined but he's versatile. He ain't no punk either and that's the type of player we need on our team. We need someone to play that Pat Bev DAWG role.

Livingston would be great for obvious reasons.

Others I skimmed off nba.com's FA list:
    Affalo - He just got waived. Could be a versatile 3/D player off the bench. Always liked his game and he's still relatively young at 31.
    Bogut - Hate the guy and he's coming off an injury but...
    KCP - He's an RFA, young 3/D player who honestly is a better shooter than his numbers portray IMO. Detroit will 99.9% match though I'm sure.
    Darren Collison - Already backed up CP3 in the past lol. Really improved shooting and can play the 1/2 with any guard unit we put on the floor. Might command too much though.
    Dedmon - He was being a lame when we blew out the Sperms in G1 but he's also a rim protecting big that teams might not pay too much for?
    Gallo - Another #SLEEVES type pick up if he doesn't cost too much.
    Gasol - I don't know how he got all those calls in the playoffs, but I want the same calls for our team too.
    Ibaka - Great fit obviously but would command too much.
    Ilyasova - Solid pick up. Stretch 4 that can rebound but not too much defense.
    James Johnson - Would be one of the better fits I've seen on the FA list so far, but after his last season, he will probably command a pretty penny. Still pretty athletic and versatile (can play 2/3/4. He won't back down and is a plus defender. Improved his ball handling in Miami, but still a mediocre 3 point shooter.
    CJ Miles - Can play the 2/3, would get tremendous looks in our offense off the bench and probably wouldn't command too much. Championship team type role player if had for the right price.
    Patty Mills - Another perfect bench role player who can play the 1/2 with any guard unit. Makes clutch shots and won't back down. I wonder if the Spurs will let him go if the Rockets offer the full MLE. Parker is on his way out, but Murray is on the come up and they drafted Derrick White, who has some potential to be a rotational player in the league IMO. That's a gluttony of point guards if they re-sign Mills.
    Mirotic - His value decreased a lot in Chicago due to Hoibergball primarily, which made him try to do too much. He's a RFA but might not be matched. Still think he would be a great shooter if he's just shooting off open looks and not trying to pull up from 30 feet...
    Muscala - Ehhh but he's a stretch 4/5. Probably wouldn't be a playoff player though.
    Z-Bo - Would love Z-Bo here. Probably a worse version of Taj at this point in his career. Would get exposed in pick and roll though, but that frontcourt toughness with Z-Bo/Nene would be fun to watch. No one would mess with us. Death stares all game.
    Speights - If you get him with the expectation he only plays in the regular season, sure. But he would get exposed in the playoffs for his defense easily, even in limited minutes.
    Splitter - Been so injured. Can this guy even play still? If so, maybe not too bad a pick up for vet's min.
    Udrih - On the older side, but vet. min pickup if you strike out on other PGs. Coming off a couple injuries, including a knee sprain last yr though.
    Nick Young - As a vet. min pickup, I wouldn't mind him. He became a more mature player under Walton last year and it seems like we're targeting him as well. Plus its Swaggy P.

17. malakas

malakas Member

Agreed. Snell can't dribble or create and he's afraid of contact. He gonna get overpaid so Rockets can't get him anyway. It would be a miracle if he gets 11 per. (our tpe).

tmactoyao likes this.
  18. StrawberryJamm

Actually like Nick Young as the 4th guard and Taj Gibson as the small ball 5 and Nene rest alternate. Troy Williams could have a role.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why Nick Young of all peeps? He aint a Winner.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Channing Frye, Marvin Williams, Marreese Speights, Shaun Livingston, Mirza Teletovic.

Tyson Chandler, Gentile, Bellinelli, Carlos Delfino ...... Carl Landry, AB0, Marcus Thornton

malakas likes this.