1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nick Martin out for season

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 25, 2016.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Jeff Allen wasn't cheap, he is the 7th highest paid. Nick Martin cost a 2nd rounder and a 6th. Only criticism is not going after a tackle, but that's not being cheap.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well Brooks and Jones both got bigger contracts. But yes we did invest a draft pick

I don't mean they are being cheap overall just that they spent their money more on QB and RB

3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Brisiel flamed out with the raiders, who doesn't? Winston I think still plays for cincy, so I disagree with your tank readings. They were system guys like the rest of that offense was. They let both of them walk at the same time no less. And leach right? That running game was beast and they let it slide because....why? It cost money to keep going? OL is about timing and cohesiveness, having the right guys in place, building something...you pay for it when you get it, otherwise you're left to depend on free agents coming from other systems and rookies. And health. Their specialty...

Ben Jones is no world beater, I have no delusions but you paid tony BErgstrom and a 2nd round price tag instead. Now a division rival has the G/C you developed and we've got mancz, the guy who definitely didn't beat out Ben jones.

I must have missed yours. Glad I could be around for your nit pickery.

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

WHAT? The brought in Jeff Allen and drafted a center in the 2nd round. People get hurt. They didn't go cheap on anything. Why dont you go root for the Cowboys...or something.

5. Mr. Clutch

We let Brooks and Jones go and replaced them with cheaper Allen and Bergstrom is what I'm saying.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Jones was replaced with Martin, who is an upgrade, he just got hurt. Jeff Allen for Brooks is the only replacement that happened via FA, Bergstrom was intended as depth, not as anyone's replacement. Mancz was a guy the team developed to be depth and he's set to be Martin's replacement at center.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Brooks got just 1 more million a year and one extra year. Not that much. The jury is still out on if Jeff Allen will be able to match his play. Like I said before, this injury could have happened to Ben Jones and people will be saying the team messed up by paying for him. Those could end up being upgrades.

8. Mr. Clutch

The average salary is close, but Brooks got a lot more guaranteed.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/brandon-brooks-9886/
    Brandon Brooks signed a 5 year, $40,000,000 contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, including a $11,000,000 signing bonus, $21,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $8,000,000

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/jeff-allen-9854/
    Jeff Allen signed a 4 year, $28,000,000 contract with the Houston Texans, including a $5,000,000 signing bonus, $12,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $7,000,000. In 2016, Allen will earn a base salary of $2,000,000, a signing bonus of $5,000,000 and a roster bonus of $3,000,000. Allen has a cap hit of $6,250,000 while his dead money value is $14,750,000.

Same thing with Ben Jones vs. Bergstrom, a lot more guaranteed (7.5mil vs 1.5mil).

I like the Nick Martin pick, just bad luck.

I'm not saying what they did is wrong or right. Heck Ben Jones seems overpaid (though I think Brooks is worth it). Just that they've allocated more money to QB and RB and draft picks to WR rather than OL.

#68 Mr. Clutch, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

One day, we'll reminisce these injuries and laugh.

10. Progs

Progs Member

Texans are going to be OK. He was a rookie, so we didn't know how good he was going to be NFL since we never saw him in game action. This is the NFL, everyone has injuries. Look at the Patriots.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

It's not a science for who you pay and who you retain. They paid Derek Newton.

It just sucks. That the only starter from last year that is practicing now was the worst.

12. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Come on now, this is homer goggles...a guy who hasn't played a single down is better than a guy who waited and learned behind a veteran, proved himself at 2 positions AND knew your system AND had chemistry building within that line?

Incorrect.

I got this wild and crazy idea about how brooks got paid more than Allen. He's a better blocker.

1 person likes this.
  13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Jeff Allen's problem was an injury-plagued season at KC. PFF rated him the best on KC's offensive line.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-offensive-lines-this-season/
    22. Kansas City Chiefs (27th)
    Pass-blocking rank: 30th

Run-blocking rank: 14th

Penalties rank: 18th

Stud: A good year from Jeff Allen, which made it a shame that he was limited to just 441 snaps.

Dud: Regardless of whether Jah Reid was at guard or tackle, it rarely went well. In fairness, he did get better at tackle after a really tough start.

CHIEFSJeff Allen is anchoring the Chiefs’ OL and deserves an extension

14. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

That's the 2nd dismissive comment of durability...attendance counts folks. Texans fans oughta have that ingrained by now.

15. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

How's Romo doing these days?

16. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

****in boys with some **** boys #Super Bowl #dicksout #harambe #clowney #mvp #realdeal #****withme#brocksweiler #fuller #fillem #full #jjwatt #wegotdis #htowm

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Steph Curry ankles?

18. vince

vince Member

Oh no... Talk about it pouring when it rains...

19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Im all for benching Clowney and Hopkins. Literally the only 2 players on the field that matter past this season.

ROXonROXonROX likes this.
  20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

There is absolutely no reason to risk them over these last 2 games.

RasaqBoi and vince like this.