1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nets: Kidd was robbed of MVP award

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DCkid, May 7, 2002.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Hey Byron, you want some cheese with that whine?
    Duncan deserved it!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news/ap/20020507/ap-nets-kidd.html

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- While Jason Kidd was gracious on Tuesday, his coach and New Jersey Nets teammates were disappointed at reports that Tim Duncan of the San Antonio Spurs will win the NBA's MVP award.

``I think it's ridiculous,'' Nets coach Byron Scott said.

Scott said the Spurs win 50 games every year with Duncan leading the way. Kidd, acquired in an offseason trade with Phoenix, turned one of the league's perennial doormats into the best team in the conference in one season. New Jersey posted a 52-30 record after going 26-56 a year ago, winning its first division title since joining the NBA in 1976.

``I'm not saying Tim doesn't deserve it,'' Scott said after the Nets finished a shootaround for Game 2 of their Eastern Conference semifinal series with Charlotte. ``He's a great player ... but what Jason has done for our team and where we have come from, I don't understand it.''

The official announcement is scheduled for Thursday. Kidd was told of the voters' decision Monday night by his agent and Nets general manager Rod Thorn. He said he was happy for Duncan and considers him a friend.

His only negative comment was that the vote by 126 members of the media might be an indication that the Nets still aren't getting any respect despite their best NBA season.

``The record still stands, they can't erase the record,'' Kidd said. ``They can't take away what we have accomplished up to this point. The big thing is, we are not done.

``The individual awards have never been one of my big suits,'' the four-time All-NBA point guard added. ``It has all been a team effort. If it were a team award and we got shortchanged, maybe we would be upset. I'm not upset.''

Everyone else associated with the Nets was.

``I feel he should have won and so does everyone on this team,'' forward Kenyon Martin said. ``But I guess we don't count.''

Center Todd MacCulloch said there was never a doubt in his mind that Kidd would win.

``When you are here and you see all the things he is doing, you don't expect anyone in this league can match what he has done,'' MacCulloch said. ``Maybe we're a little J-Kidd saturated, but I definitely thought he deserved it.''

MacCulloch even joked that the league might surprise everyone and give Kidd the award in Charlotte on Thursday.

``I don't know if I'm a big supporter of co-MVPs,'' said MacCulloch, a Canadian, alluding to the dual gold medals awarded to the figure skaters from his country in the Winter Olympics. ``But Jason at least deserved a share of it.''

Duncan led the Spurs to the Midwest Division title for the third time in four years. He was fifth in the NBA in scoring at 25.5 points per game and second in rebounding at 12.7. He also averaged nearly four assists and blocked 2.48 shots (3rd in NBA) while playing about 41 minutes.

Duncan led the league with 67 double-doubles, and was voted to the All-NBA first team for the fifth time in as many seasons. He was also selected for the All-Defensive first team for the fourth straight year.

Kidd, who was also an All-Defensive first team pick, averaged 14.7 points, 9.9 assists and a career-best 7.3 rebounds. The nine-year veteran also led the league in triple-doubles (eight), was second in assists and was third in steals (2.1).

``If there was going to be an MVP it should have been a co-MVP,'' Nets backup guard Lucious Harris said. ``It was a little disappointing.''

With all the talent in the league, Kidd said, it's hard to chose an MVP.

``Now there probably will be controversy, but the big thing is we have a bigger plan and a bigger picture, which is tonight's game versus Charlotte. The MVP is secondary,'' Kidd said.

Scott agreed, to an extent.

``Deep down inside, I think it matters,'' Scott said. ``I think he would have liked to have had it. I don't think it will be the end of his world. I think it matters to him a little bit.''

2. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

I think Kidd should have won it, but I wouldn't say he got "robbed." Duncan had an awesome season.

3. DCkid

but seriously, I can understand them being upset. I thought Hakeem should've won the MVP over Barkley back in '93, and what a surprise, it just so happens that Hakeem played for MY team.

4. DCkid

Also, the main reason they mention for Kidd getting the MVP is because the turnaround the team had. That's really kind of a crappy argument when you think about it. What would the Spurs record have been last season without Duncan? Just because a team sucked really bad the season before shouldn't have anything to do with the MVP voting of the current year. The MVP voting should be based on the current season, the importance the player has to the team, and what that player has led his team to accomplish. I think the Spurs record without Duncan would drop A LOT more than the Nets record without Kidd. And not only that, but the Spurs are a MUCH better team than the Nets, who are probably only good enough to get the 7th spot in the Western Conference. When you look at it that way I don't see how people could be so upset that Kidd didn't get it.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

It's called paying your dues. Kidd will win it next year.

6. junglerules

junglerules Member

I would've voted Kidd as well, but i don't have a huge problem with Duncan winning it. Other than JESUS on his team (and if that's not a second superstar, who is??) Tim has taken a bunch of crap and turned them into a playoff team.

I DO have a problem with those people who think Kidd shouldn't have even been in the running. To point at Kidd's shooting percentage exclusively, or at his talented but oft-underachieving teammates is silly. Obviously, a point guard contributes much other than points, otherwise a large contingent on the BBS wouldn't be whining about stevie as a PG every day. Likewise, there is much to consider as far as leadership goes for an MVP. And i think Kidd brought leadership and guidance to a team that has lacked it as long as I can remember.

In a nutshell, i'm saying this- if duncan is mvp, Kidd should be a close second....

7. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I think most of us can live with Duncan, MVP,...and Kidd close second. no big...

8. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Eastern Conference Players Need Not Apply.

1) Duncan
    2) O'Neal(only because Duncan's supporting cast is crap, O'Neal will end up with the more important MVP award)
    3) Dirk

9. Asian Sensation

It's nice to see Kidd is not a selfish player from the comments he had made and doesn't make to big a deal because basketball is a team game. The comments made by Kidd reflect his style of playon the court which is why he turns every team into a winner (playoff birth) whether it was in Phoenix or what he has done for the Nets.

10. mfclark

mfclark Member

Bryon Scott and the rest of the Nets need to quit their whining and focus on the task at hand. If he's really the MVP (and I'm not sure he's the MVP of the East, even), then he and the team need to prove it on the court instead of going to the media.

This Kidd for MVP hype, though, is nauseating. Look at all the Nets had: a healthy, 2nd year Kenyon Martin all season. A healthy Kerry Kittles for the first time in 2 years. Added Todd MacCulloch to man the middle. Keith Van Horn healthy all year. Added depth in the way of three rookies, two of whom made impacts. All of those are not moves Kidd made; all of them were personnel moves. I don't think Thorn is exec of the year - Dumars likely is - nor is Scott coach of the year (give me Carlisle or McMillan any day over him) - but their moves have had more to do with the success of that team than Kidd has.

Add just Kidd and the Nets are what most of his teams in Phoenix were - scratching to make the playoffs and if they make it, they're quickly out.

Take away Duncan from the Spurs, however, and they are absolutely horrible.

11. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Duncan is MVP.

Kidd is a good PG maybe the best TEAM pg.
    Kidd has a great suporting cast, Duncan doesn't

SA is a title contender
    NJ is a east conference contender
    east conference contender= A team that would be 7th in te west.

12. BTM

BTM Member

After seeing Duncan singlehandedly manhandle the Lakers and completly outplay Shaq and Kobe it's hard to make a case for Kidd. The Nets were terrible last year b/c Van Horn is a b****, K-Mart broke his leg and was a rookie, Kittles was injured, no Richard Jefferson, no Jason Collins, no Todd McCulluch. Now they have ALL those guys AND Jason Kidd. I believe Kidd has a lot to do with their resurgence but you gotta look at WHO ELSE helped them get to the top.

#12 BTM, May 8, 2002
    Last edited: May 8, 2002
  13. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Kidd WAS NOT robbed of the M.V.P.
    They gave it to Tim Duncan of the San Antonio Spurs, silly!:D

14. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Bring Kidd back to the wild, wild West and we'll see if he's an MVP.

He's good and did a real great job this year turning that ship around, but without Duncan, the Spurs would have been the Nets of last year. TD simply dominated all year long, something Kidd did not do.

TD wins this award hands down, not to mention he carried my fantasy team to the top!!

15. Strange Fruit

Strange Fruit Member

Oh really. So you consider the cast of Todd MacCoullah(sp), Kerry Kittles, and Van horn better than David Robinson, one of the best defensive players in Bruce Bowen, and one of the best three point shooters in Steve Smith?

16. mfclark

mfclark Member

Yes, I would. Smith is a stiff these days, DRob was limited all season, and Bowen is nothing more than a good defender. Kittles is, in my opinion, a better defender than Bowen; MacCullogh, while a stiff, was one of the better big men in the East this year, and Van Horn definately outplayed Smith this season.

Through in Kenyon Martin, Richard Jefferson, Lucious Harris - and the rest of the Nets bench and you have a crew that heavily outweighs that of the Spurs, even though you neglected Tony Parker. I really don't see how anyone could make a case that SA has more to work with than the Nets.

17. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

Um, no.

18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kidd has a HELL of a lot better support around him than Duncan. That shouldn't even be a debate. If you go by the definition of the acronym, Duncan was the "Most Valuable Player" for his team. You take Duncan away, you take Kidd away, the Nets win a hell of a lot more games than the Spurs.

19. Band Geek Mobster

I think Scott's just covering his player. It would have looked bad if he was like, "Well Jason had a good year, but Tim deserved to win."

Teammates are teammates, you gotta get their back even if you know deep down inside what you're saying isn't right...

20. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

I agree. Scott's not whining, he's just covering his player. Remember, he was the coach who witnessed the turnaround first-hand, so he has a reason to call Jason Kidd the MVP.