1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Netflix is spinning off its DVD business into a new company

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tehG l i d e, Sep 19, 2011.

1. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/19/netflix-spins-dvd-by-mail-service-off-into-qwikster-says-its/

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c8Tn8n5CIPk&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c8Tn8n5CIPk&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

[​IMG]

2. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

I didn't see this one coming, and I believe it is a big mistake. Video streaming by itself is an extremely tough market. Hulu, Amazon, Google and Apple are all vying for market shares, and with deeper pockets. Netflix with streaming alone will lose it competitive advantage, which is a great distribution system for its DVD rentals. With cost of content rising (see Netflix' failed negotiation with Starz), margins will be severely cut for all players. It will be interesting to see how investors react to this news today when market opens.

1 person likes this.
  3. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Hope this blows up in their face. Their streaming service isn't good enough to warrant the split. I'm not really sure it would stand alone so well.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Hell . . . Hulu Plus kills them on more recent stuff.
    The DVD and Streaming was their hook.
    IMO they setting themselves for failure.
    If Hulu Plus had more updated movies. . . .Netflix streaming is dead

Rocket River

5. dmc89

dmc89 Member

1) Other players with lots of capital will muscle out Netflix for licening deals. Eventually, the average Joe will need to subscribe to different services to get the content he wants. In the long-term, it'll cost him more than the $8/month it currently is.

2) ISPs in the US think throttling and capping are the future. Netflix thinks unlimited streaming is the future. ISPs will win this battle.

3) The content providers/Hollywood are laughing all the way to the bank.

4) All the above confirms what an expensive place America has become for consumers in general. TV, internet, cell phone service, airline tickets, books/ebooks, etc. Dwindling choices and rising prices. All thanks to a Congress whoring policy away in exchange for every lobbyist's dollar.

I'm off to bed. Those shares are about to take a beating within the next 4 hours.

6. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Been a Netflix customer since 03. I think it's time to cancel Netflix.... wanted to cancel earlier when the prices increased, but now with this.. I think it really is time to cancel. I was waiting for them to add gaming as an option, but that was 2 or 3 years ago. Their streaming selection is horrible, I haven't used it very much since it came out... it's really only good for TV shows (and they don't have all of those either).

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

They seem to be taking the notable name brand and affixing it to the newer, less popular and profitable service (that is also more subject to the whims of licensing fees).

8. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

This seems silly.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Smart move....because eventually the disk business will die like the old Blockbuster business.

This protects the streaming business from that inevitable future fail.

DD

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

So they deemed their online service more important- it retains their brand.

I'm fine with it. I use their streaming-only service as it is.

They've been a great company, you haters need to get over it.

11. VanityHalfBlack

For you Netflix/streaming subscribers, do you guys buy dvd/bluray movies on the side??? Or do you guys wait until it hits Netflix and get it from there??? I would spend more than 50 bucks on bluray/dvd movies especially when it's in a boxset limited edition for older movies... I'd probably save more money if I just have a subscription service but having the artwork and case isn't the same as having it in an envelope sleeve...

12. Xerobull

You're a different demographic- you're a collector. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Personally, I do buy physical media of movies that either I really loved or I can find at clearance prices.

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I sign up for Netflix every Summer when the networks are in repeats and there is no football or basketball ...... and I still run out of movies I want from them. They don't get enough new movies for 3 months, I don't know what you would watch year round. And the streaming movies are usually B movies I wouldn't watch for free.

I think with the price increase and now this confusion, Netflix will die off.
    If I were a trader, I would short their stock.

Qwikster is even a stupid name.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Netflix sux.

15. Raven

Raven Member

I keep hearing this, but is it now possible to stream HQ video on a big screen (70+ inch) television?

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Haven't bought a DVD in years and don't own a single bluray. Streaming is all I ever wanted. Hopefully the selection gets improves.

17. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I only stream, so I am happy about this change. Now when I search for a movie, I assume I will not get the DVDs listed as well.

18. lue03

lue03 Contributing Member

So now they are also going to try and compete with gamefly? I wonder if they are going to have a lot of games to choose from.

19. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Why are you screaming at us?? It's not like your question was that freaking important!!

20. Xerobull

GLADYS WAS ON THE BOAT AND THAT TROUT DARNED NEAR PULLED HER OFF THE BOAT l OUT L AS YOU KIDS SAY brack hussen obama HAS SOME SHENANIGANS UP HIS SLEEVES BET YOU ME GOT TO GO TV DINNERS DONE IN MICROWAV LOVE KISSES TO LITTLE ONES GRANDPA