1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA.com's Rick Kamla Ranks Francis As #1 Fantasy PG

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by Just B, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Just B

Just B Member

http://www.nba.com/fantasy_games/fantasy04_pointguards.html

10. Andre Miller, Nuggets: Miller won’t wow you, but he’ll help you in six of eight categories, with blocks and threes being the lost cats. I’d love to tell you Miller’s going to revert to 2001-02 form when he averaged 10.9 assists, but I can’t because of the pesky presence of Earl Boykins.

9. Mike Bibby, Kings: Bibby averaged a career-high 18.4 points last season, but Chris Webber and Bobby Jackson missed 91 games combined. Presuming C-Webb and Bobby J stay healthy, Bibby’s scoring average will slide to roughly 16 a game, but strong shooting percentages and nearly two threes per game keep him safely in the top 10.

8. Jason Terry, Mavericks: Over the last four seasons, Terry has averaged 18.3 points, 5.9 assists, 1.6 steals, and 151 threes. He’s also deadly from the line (85 percent) and ultra-durable (seven DNPs in five seasons). Now that JT’s ballin’ for a contender, I expect a very big year.

7. Dwyane Wade, Heat: With all the positive press Wade is receiving -- and deservedly so -- it’s easy to forget he missed 21 games as a rookie. But that’s a buzzkill, so let’s focus on his potential for 19-5-6-2 now that Shaquille O’Neal is the apple of the opposition’s eye.

6. Sam Cassell, Timberwolves: Cassell was one of the best all-around players in fantasy hoops last season, helping out in six of eight cats. He also established new career-highs in scoring (19.8 points) and shooting (49%) in making his first All-Star Game appearance. Don’t downgrade Cassell because of Troy Hudson’s return, as slightly fewer minutes will make him even more effective when he is running with the Wolves.

5. Allen Iverson, 76ers: I love the fact that Ivy is going to play the point in Philly this year, but I hate the fact he broke his thumb at the Olympics. While he’s on the court -- and I hope it’s for 82 games -- Iverson is going to style fantasy players with minimums of 25 points, 7 assists, and 2 steals.

4. Stephon Marbury, Knicks: Steph, who’s missed only two games over the past three years, has averaged 20.4 points and 8.3 assists over his eight-year career. And after tickling the Garden faithful with 19.8 points and 9.3 assists last year, Marbury could go 20-10 for the first time in his career.

3. Gilbert Arenas, Wizards: Arenas averaged 19.6 points and 5.0 assists last year, but the scoring will come down and the dimes will go up now that Antawn Jamison is a Wizard. No worries, freaks, as I still expect Arenas to drop 19-5-6 with 200 threes and 150 steals on the fantasy world.

2. Baron Davis, Hornets: After playing 82 games in each of his first three seasons, BD has missed 47 over the past two. But because he’s capable of 200 threes and 200 steals in an 82-game season, I’m giving BD one last chance to prove he isn’t injury-prone.

1. Steve Francis, Magic: Francis can forget about the 2005 postseason now that he’s in Orlando, but what he loses in playoff checks, he’ll make up in statistics. You can forget about that 16.6 scoring average from a year ago, as Francis gets back to being a 22-6-6 monster now that he’s a franchise player again.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congrats Steve!....discuss!
    :p

2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Francis has always been a great FANTASY ballplayer. It is when you get into real life games that he has some problems.

3. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

"Francis can forget about the 2005 postseason?"

Am I missing something? Orlando looks like a playoff team in the East to me. Maybe even one that could fight its way out of the first round. Given, three teams are clearly better: Detroit, Indiana, and Miami. But after those 3, who's so much better than them? Seriously! They could be the #4 seed if they live up to their potential. And if Grant Hill is actually playing too... man.

4. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I'de take Iverson as my point guard in a fantasy league. He's going to put up monster numbers and is a very good passer as demonstrated in his rookie season and All-Star games. His problem, like Francis, is on the court where he will most likely dominate the ball a little bit too much.

As far as Francis, there is no doubt that he will put up huge stats in Orlando. I sure as hell wouldn't want him running my team though.

5. Glish21

Glish21 Member

ya i dunno about that the east isn't exactly as hard as the west

6. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Francis is going to be a great fantasy pick this year because he is in the east and he will basically given the green light to run the team in a run an gun offense so he will score more and do a lot more overall, including turnovers.

Compared to when he was in Houston of course he is going to be a better fantasy threat. But that doesn't mean his team is going to be good or anything.

Like most times he will be a great assest individually but not on his team.

7. indaclubam2pm

indaclubam2pm Contributing Member

thats true but there comes a point in ur career wehn u dont care abt stats u just wnna win the gold

8. Stack24

Well he should be playing for us. Does he not know that his stats help our teams....they need to learn from the NFL and run those commercials.

"I'm Peyton Manning and this is what i play for (insert Fantasy Trophy here) "

:D

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I see Cato, SF, and Cat carrying the Magic to the playoffs next season....i mean overall the East sucks.

10. Stack24

Sucks so bad they won the championship last year. But of course they are not as deep as the West.:D

11. vunny1408

vunny1408 Contributing Member

payton & kidd?

12. Stack24

Kidd is always a triple double threat and i have had him on my fantasy teams a few times....Payton is a bust for fantasy owners now...he won't bring anything to the table.

13. mxhz

mxhz Member

how about nash?

14. vincejas

vincejas Member

Theres no doubt that steve is a great fantasy player. In any night he could give you 22-6-6-2. Hes that good. But the problem is the other things that he brings into the game. Too much turn overs for a pg, cant finish a fastbreak, too much dribbling, lacks the fundamental skills that makes a great pg. Its very disheartening becoz if only hes game could improveand mature ala payton, jkidd, kevin johnson, stockton, tim hardaway, the rockets dont need tmac. HOnestly, with cuttino, the team is better if, and thats a big IF steve's game has improved. But it did not and we have tmac now.

15. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I've never done fantasy sports, but I'd like to try basketball this year just for the fun of it. Does anyone know where I can go to sign up for free and read about how it works?

Thanx
    Pugs

16. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

I play in yahoo every year. It's free and there are many competitive leagues.

http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

#4 seed seems like wishful thinking. They were the worst team in the league last year, and though the East is more guard oriented, the Magic have no inside presence, unless you like Cato and Dwight Howard to carry you there.

Also, I'd put Milwaukee in there as a given. Also kind of weak in the middle, but you got to like what they did last year. So the Magic may be fighting with New York, Boston, Toronto for playoff spots.

18. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Nash on Phoenix probably wont' be scoring as much as was needed of him in Dallas. Also he gives you decent FG% and good 3PT% but he's one of few PG's that average less than 1 steal per game I believe. Low TO's but he doesn't give you much of anything else.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

When Andre Miller was in Cleveland, he was a fantasy beast.

20. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I signed up, thanx for your help.

Pugs