1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.com] Criticized for not winning enough, Tracy McGrady vindicated by Hall of Fame selection

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

vindicated or . . . tindicated?

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/04/01/tracy-mcgrady-vindicated-hall-fame

Criticized for not winning enough, Tracy McGrady vindicated by Hall of Fame selection
    Voters give two-time scoring champion the ultimate revenge
    [​IMG]
    Scott Howard-Cooper NBA.com

@SHowardCooper

Apr 1, 2017 5:36 PM ET

GLENDALE, Ariz. – This was a man who was laughing and glaring at the same time, celebrating the moment and shooting verbal daggers of what he is certain is vindication in the end, doing nothing to hide all the emotions uncorked as Tracy McGrady made his first appearance as a Hall of Famer.

He was asked at a press conference as part of the Class of 2017 being unveiled about this as a moment of liberation from criticism, maybe an absolution, and McGrady instantly chuckled in a way that answered the question without actually answering.

“Absolutely,” he said, just in case clarification was needed.

He was asked in conversation a little later Saturday afternoon about where induction ranks among his basketball achievements. Same thing. The quick laughter that was more like a release.

“It doesn’t get any better than this,” McGrady said. “You’re talking about going into a class of greatness. Legendary. This is forever. It doesn’t matter how many playoff games you lost. What you didn’t accomplish. None of that matters. It’s what I did do. What I did accomplish over my career. To be honored with this prestigious award is phenomenal.”
    more at the link

2. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

I think it's a crime that he made it in over Webber, but that's just like my opinion and stuff.

tinman and Patience like this.
  3. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Was never the biggest Mcgrady fan. I used to call him me-mac. I remember him pointing at Shane battier getting pissed when Tmac would leave his man open.

That being said, he deserves his moment. Nobody should take that away from him. Let him feel proud of himself. He's probably (rightfully so) felt like a failure and disappointment his whole NBA career.

I think he should enjoy this moment.

Happy for him.

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

We needed another thread on this? :p

Os Trigonum likes this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Absolutely no reason TMac needs to make it as a 1st Ballot. Gervin didn't get than honor and he won 4 scoring titles and 9 All-stars....and out of 1st round, 3 times. Not to mention being one of the best ABA players prior to all those NBA achievements ... those count, too, in this bball HOF.

If the Basketball HOF voters treated 1st Ballot selection as an extra honor bestowed upon only the very best, like MLB, then more votes go to Webber, and TMac gets in next year....or waits 5 years like George Gervin had to do.

Patience and tinman like this.
  6. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

T-Mac owns. Well deserved HOF selection. It was obvious he was going to be a first ballot hall of famer and with good reason.

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Another Houston Rocket in the Hall of Fame

Meanwhile your stinky Dallas Mavericks keep churning out Hall of Shame player one after the other. LMAO

8. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Broski you were literally like 10 when T-Mac was in Houston.

McGrady shared the ball plenty and actually played defense. Odd criticism. There are some valid criticism of him but "Me-Mac" never existed in Houston.

HoustonTexas, Yung-T, cheke64 and 5 others like this.
  9. Daddy Long Legs

I wasn't 10 lol. I'm 25 in april. he got traded here when I was a 7th grader and i watched him pretty frequently.

You don't remember him blowing defensive assignments and pointing yelling at battier about it?

10. Daddy Long Legs

maybe I'm piling on and admittedly I wasn't very aware of basketball back then. I just have a visual memory stuck in my head of him pointing at battier where to go while walking up the court haha.

I really started paying attention and became of big fan the same year that he got the microfracture surgery without telling the rockets organization and we went on to beat the blazers in the first round. My judgment is pretty lopsided because I was only paying attention by the time things were already going bad.

I'll give you this one. I'll accept being called out on that. It is true that I wasn't that into the Rockets as a middle schooler

DudeWah likes this.
  11. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Just curious about this comment - what do you think about James Harden when he does this near every game to near every player on the court when it's his own fault?

Generally curious if this frustrates people as much as me, or if he gets a pass because of how great he is.

HoustonTexas likes this.
  12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

A Healthy prime Mcgrady was as good of an offensive player as you'll ever see on the wing. Stat Stuffer

13. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

wow w/e yeah dude thats just like, you know, your opinion and stuff

14. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

we dont get to see what his vidicaters said? all i read was tmac talking

15. Daddy Long Legs

Lol ite ill give you and @DudeWah a W here. The double standard is real. Im biased because my 1st year of truly loving the rockets (watching every game and being emotionally attached) was 2009 when tmac was a crappy teammate and picked against the rockets in that lakers series.

Im not a hater of tmac like tinman. My only memories of him are bad so im biased.

My dad has always been a diehard rockets fan. My first memories in life were having a baby olajuwon jersey on in the championship years.

I followed francis, mobley, kelvin cato and thise years slightly. I was also excited about drafting yao but i wasnt a watch every game die hard until 2009.

My dad said as mcgrady got in the latter part of his career he was beautiful to watch. Said he posessed a passing ability like magic and lebron.

DudeWah likes this.
  16. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

No no I wasn't intending to shine a light on a supposed double standard or what not.

I was just generally curious as to what people think in regards to Harden doing this each game. Mainly just asked you because it came right after you saying McGrady did it.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't hate tmac, I have a higher standard for our stars because I watched Olajuwon.
    Even if you are young, you do realize his playoff record is terrible with the Rockets, he only played 20 games. We even lost a game 7 at home against Utah.

Do I think he's a hall of fame player vs do I think his failures as a Rocket were everyone else's fault are two different things.

I fault him for a fair portion because the best player is suppose to be the leader and make the other players better.
    The high point of the McGrady Rockets was when we were up 2-0 against Dallas and he dunked on Bradley.

After that, playoff exits, DNPs, coaches getting fired, telling ESPN he had surgery before the Rockets tried to trade him, the coming back demanded too many minutes from Rick Adelman.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Get over it.

Olajuwon is a guy who maybe or maybe not come in every 50 years. 10 plus years later we got Yao and Mac. Then we got Harden and Howard.

Somewhere down the road Cuttino, Stevie, Scola, Lowry and those guys.

The One that got away was Bosh.

We are not the Lakers but we got very good players. We are not Sacramento or Philly.

Some were greater than others. Olajuwon was better than all those names above. That is just natural. Once in a lifetime player!

#18 daywalker02, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    Pen15clubber and DudeWah like this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

I don't justify and celebrate failure by pretending that it didn't happen or feel better by a what if situations .

He was an all-star that we traded to get in hopes of winning a title.

Maybe new fans found losing in the first round and only playing 20 games was acceptable .

Scottie Pippen was a hall of fame player who won championships, his tenure was a total failure, the worst in our history.

I could argue that McGrady was 2nd. Steve Francis was a draft pick and we had to build him up. McGrady came to the Rockets as an allstar player already.

Those Rockets teams didn't suck. Remember we kept McGrady and fired JVG. Pairing him with Rick Adelman didn't work either.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

Hmm,

I don't know what Tmac will say in his speech, but I seriously doubt he can top this one

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/yao-ming-basketball-hall-of-fame-speech-full-text/

I consider Houston my second home, so I want to say something to the people of Houston. You stood by me in good and bad times. You gave me strength to move forward. I will always consider you my family. I am a Texan and a Houston Rocket for life.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.