1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Natl Security Advisor Flynn may have violated law speaking w/ Russians

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes, it is actually a blow to spreading sanity in this administration that the person I believe was hand picked by Defense Secretary Mattis to be head of the NSA decided not to accept the job, given the conditions reportedly attached to accepting it. The biggest reason Harward didn't accept the position, in my opinion, is really easy to figure out. There was no way he was going to put up with Bannon making an ass of himself during meetings of the NSC. Had Trump changed his mind about having that extremist, Bannon, on the main deliberative body making crucial nation security decisions, the National Security Council, in my judgement, Harward would be moving into his office.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

most likely one or a combination of John Brennan, James Clapper, Sally Yates, and Ben Rhodes

either way, it was holdovers from the Obama admin that leaked it, as they were the ones who collected and had access to the info

hopefully there will be a congressional/DoJ inquiry into the leak, and someone will be made an example of

otherwise, intelligence chiefs will continue using their surveillance powers for political ends

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...i-investigation-phone-call-russian-ambassador

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Wouldn't be surprised that it was Sally Yates after she warned the admin, saw nothing came of it and was fired.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Security apparatus and government official swear to defend the Constitution, not the WH, Congress, or whatever other institution. Leaks and whistle blower in that capacity is a good deed.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Looking like H.R. McMaster is the new name, out of the Army.

Wrote a well-respected book about the policy mistakes of Vietnam, by the way. So there's that:

Very critical of the military for not standing up to LBJ with facts, so maybe that bodes well? You know... facts?

All that said, would maybe have preferred the HR from the Bad Brains. Probably not a Trump loyalist though.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, just reading up on the guy, he seems to be honest, rational, has a PHD, and unfortunately for him will probably not get along with anyone else in Trump's cabinet. But he appears to be a very qualified and capable choice.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He will get fired soon.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Looks like an excellent pick for NSA.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Looks like Trump is tanking the NSC.

12. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Pretty happy with the choice of McMaster, although as has been mentioned it's ironic they're going with an outspoken intellectual for Trump's NSC.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

McMaster is an excellent choice. Deeply experienced, highly intelligent, and not afraid to "speak to power." I think that's why he accepted the position, when Harward did not. In my opinion, Harward couldn't see himself "working" with Bannon, and presumably, Trump said, "he's staying where I put him," so Harward declined. McMaster, again, my opinion, will attempt to work with Bannon (and for Trump), and if Bannon is disruptive and determined to exert undue influence in what will now be McMaster's bailiwick, the NSC and the NSA, McMaster won't hesitate to go to Trump to tell him that Bannon simply isn't working as a member of the National Security Council (the nation's top deliberative body on national security). What happens then, and I'm assuming that at some point it will, should be interesting.

I think what we are seeing is Mattis's influence here, and probably Pence's. Thank goodness.

#253 Deckard, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  14. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Good pick.

wouldabeen23 likes this.
  15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

From the McMaster profiles, it seems that his working relationship with Trump+Bannon might end up as functional as Mike D'Antoni's working relationship with Dolan+Melo.

16. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Bannon against McMaster, I put my money on Bannon.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yep. It probably worked to our benefit that Trump had to make a quick decision and had to rely on others to put names in front of him. Almost all were respectable guys.

What concerns me is the fact that we've heard nothing about a labor sec replacement yet, and that is Donald's wheelhouse so you know he'll have more knowledge of the cronies billionaires he can supplant to screw over hourly workers. Can't believe I'm saying this but hopefully Pence has say so in that nominee and not Bannon and the Goldman Saches cronies on his staff.

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Well, Bolton would have been a bad choice, but noting you did say "almost all".

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Also Petraeus... while has solid experience.... presents a bad political move since well... the Republican party ran on Hillary Clinton's poor choice of sharing classified information. You want to talk about hypocrisy if they really did give the job offer to Petraeus.

20. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

He nominated Alexander Acosta. The purpose of his ranting press conference last week was to announce that.