1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My run in with "Typical Houston Fan"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gummi Clutch, May 2, 2005.

1. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Playoffs Right!?!?
    Time to get Rowdy Right!?!?
    WRONG!!!

Saturday I had great seats. 18 rows up behind the basket. I decided to buy one of the little drums that they sold at the Rockets store so I could bang on it while the Mavs shot their usual abundance of freethrows. Id also bang along to the chants of "DEFENSE", and use it to clap when the Rockets a did something outstanding on offense and/or defense.

In the 3rd quarter a lasy leaned over from 3 seats away. "Mur mur mur mur THAT" (I was having trouble understanding her with all the noise. "What? How much did I pay for this?" I replied. She nodded. "Ten Dollars" I replied while thinking to myself "and Im going to beat every penny out of it". She said "I have a little boy at home that would love that, would you sell it to me?". "Ummm... maybe after the game" I said. "That would kind of defeat the purpose, it's getting kind of annoying" she replied. Keep in mind that I said my seats were behind the basket and EVERYONE around me has bangers constantly going. Trying to be polite I said, "I'm sorry, you should have stayed home."

Anyways she left for a while, I guess she couldnt take the noise. I questioned myself whether or not I should feel bad? Her husband was still there, but he dared not to say a word about the situation. Maybe he understood she had a bug up her :eek:. The girl sitting next to me also switched seats with her boyfriend after a restroom break. They werent big fans, but at least they were both at least wearing RED preppy clothes while Im there with my Rockets jersey and drum. I caught the boyfriend getting caught up into the action jumping out of his seat, and getting frustrated at the Mutumbo blocking call.
    In the fourth the Rockets had the lead, everyone was on their feet. I looked over, the complaining woman was back firmly planted in her seat. Maybe she was a Mavs fan. I guess not, they left early with the Rockets down 4.

But guess what? I got tickets for Thursdays game too. Just 10 rows behind the Mavericks bench and I'll be bringing my little drum from the Rockets shop.

2. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

I had a guy behind me that was shouting the whole game - and he seemed very into it

... but he wouldn't stand up. So when everyone else was up, he just sat there and made me feel guilty for standing

- at least he didn't call security

3. Gummi Clutch

^^HAHA!
    Some guy near me had a few Mav fans behind him. He stood up nearly every possesion to cheer.
    Was that you?

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Was the crowd even into the games?

I know ESPN and TNT kind of tone the crowd down, but it seemed like the typical Houston crowd w/ our lovely corporate people in the lower bowl. I don't know what is up w/ those guys. It seems like they would rather play w/ their BlackBerry, play pool, or hit on their secretary.

What do the Rockets have to do beside win to get fans hyped up?

5. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

It sounds to me like that guy dragged his significant other to the game when she really didn't want to come along.

6. Gummi Clutch

Well Thursday I was upstairs. I was excited to be up there with the "real fans" but quickly noticed it wasnt all that it was cracked up to be. I think the distance takes them out fo the games as well. I went with my youth Bball team and actuall had a kid cry because he was so scared of the steepness of the seats.

Saturday I sat behind the basket and the crowd was rowdy!!! Maybe its because everyone had bangers that they were encouraged to cheer, but it was a really fun game.

This Thursday I will be on the sidelines. The dreaded club section. Sure it's where I have my season tickets, but I frequently get the weirdest looks for cheering. Will see how this section does in Playoff time. Seats were $160 a pop :eek: Cheer now, pay later. Thanks Amex!

7. Bad"r"

Bad"r" Member

That was prob me!!! What section?

8. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

I still think they should follow the Texans and have a couple of sections behind each basket for only rowdy fans !

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think that was me! Were you in section 113 or 114?

10. Man

Man Contributing Member

I had to read your main paragraph like 3 times but now I get it! Wow lol I a gree with you you paid 10 bucks for those beat the heck out of them lol GO ROCKETS

11. mj10501

mj10501 Contributing Member

Gummi Clutch, you need to tear it up down there behind the bench, especially for all of us in the upper bowl who can't afford to get that close to the action. Give em an ear full, and make sure to remind Cuban that he's in CLUTCH CITY.

12. Gummi Clutch

I was in Section 101.

13. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

i was in the second row in the upper section and NOBODY in row 1 stood and only half of row 2 stood. when we were down by 4 with like 20 seconds to go, i tried getting those ppl to stand. the guys next to me said "They just scored 12 and we've only scored 2" like he's trying to justify not getting into the action. so i replied to him "well then what are you doing here? go home!!!"

jerk! we don't need people like them there.

:mad:

14. Toast

Toast Member

I hope you make sure Dampier hears his chant.

15. Man

Man Contributing Member

yeah jerk but I wouldn't stand I'm scared of falling down man. I hope it doesn't happen

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I have a source that TMac told him that he doesn't like playing in the TC and I don't blame him one bit.

17. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

Hey Gummi, what row were you in?

I was in sec 101 row 14.....i think I saw you pounding that thing

18. Gummi Clutch

I belive that I was in row 18 in the middle.

19. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Come on man, unless I missed something your not DOC ROCKET, dont start posting crap like that if you cant back it up:mad:

20. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Contributing Member

When T-Mac was interviewed at halftime he was asked about the crowd not being energetic. I was praying he'd say something like "How can they be expected to have energy and show emotion if security might kick them out.

Obviously, 1) Tracey probably doesn't even know about the situation and 2) he's got just a few more things on his mind right now.

However, how cool would that have been. Probably solved immediately with a remark like that from the team's star :)