1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Paycheck Bounced- need advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeremiah, Aug 24, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

So my last paycheck bounced. My boss gave me some song and dance about bounced checks to him, blah blah. I don't buy it 100% because I'm not the first person it's happened to in the company.

He gave me a check to cover it, and I took it to HIS bank to CASH, and the teller told me that she was sorry, but at this time she couldn't cash the check. I asked her why and she said that she couldn't give out confidential info, but gave me an eyebrow indicating that yes, the account had insufficient funds.

So I'm sitting here with two checks, one to cover the one that bounced and one for my last check. I'm also owed money this upcoming Friday. I actually started a new job today, but due to the money issue, I told my old boss that I had to leave town for a week, so I could at least get paid. I'm afraid that if I tell him I'm quitting, he will stop payment on all of the checks and I won't get my last one.

Should I take the checks to one of those check-cashing joints and just let my old boss deal with the ramifications? Am I liable if I do that?

2. Southern Select

What kind of company is this?

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Ew, don't know what to tell you as I have never really heard of a situation like that (well I know that has probably happened to people in the past but you are the first one that I actually have heard have that happen to). Can't you call an attorney? Most lawyers/attorneys will let you call them for the first time for free so you can call and get their advice on what you should do.

Just be thankful that you are working somewhere else. Having a paycheck bounce is a sure sign to you to get the hell out of there.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Just tryin to be a crack dealer in America?

5. Chopped

Chopped Member

great job. if you do that you are doing the same thing to them that your boss did to you. and yes you are liable. i know of a few of these "joints" that use bounty hunters to make people who give bad checks pay.

6. Jeremiah

It's an IT company. I was a Network admin/engineer. We dealt with small and medium sized companies and contracted their IT needs. My boss bought the company two years ago, and while my first several months were super busy, it's really dropped off the past two months. My boss is a coward- can't handle confrontation, which is probably why he isn't answering my calls or texts.

7. updawg

updawg Member

I would keep acting like you are working there without working for as long as you can until you get paid. No sense in burning a bridge if you don't have to. you never know, you may need him as a reference sometime.

8. droxford

droxford Member

As part of your business agreement, you are obligated to work for the pay that that provide.

Conversely, they are obligated to provide you with pay for the work that you provide.

That's business.

I would recommend one of two things:

(1) If you continue working, inform them of the statement I mentioned above and tell them that it is unreasonable for them to expect you to work for no pay and that your continued work while they owe you money is a FAVOR to the company and should not be forgotten.

or

(2) Tell them that, although you can empathize with the company's situation, it is unreasonable for them to expect you to work for no pay. With that, tell them that you'll be happy to return to work after you get a check that clears.

(3) Insist that future checks are DIRECT DEPOSITED into your bank account.

Most of all, BE NICE. Don't be mean. Be empathetic, be sweet, be understanding, be friendly... but also be firm.

...and look for another job.

9. Southern Select

I sent you an email. Can you tell me his initials?

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Take one check and cash it at Wal-Mart. Take the other and cash it at Kroger. Any future payments require in cash. That is what we did with my wife when that started happening, and of course she got a new job.

11. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Same thing happened to me two weeks ago. Luckily it worked itself out. I feel bad for you. Its not a good feeling when you have bills due. You earned the money so I wouldnt take no for an answer.

12. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Borrow 2 bucks from a friend and buy a large can of whoop ass and open it on your boss. He's not calling you because he doesn't have the money to pay you and he's hoping you will go away.

13. Jeremiah

I'm being VERY very nice about this with my old boss. You catch more flies with honey.

So you're saying that the person the check is written TO is liable, not the person who issued the check?

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Given your inside knowledge of the company, do you know when they might expect another cashflow? If so, go to his bank to try cashing again when you expect he might have money. If you don't know, you could go to the bank periodically.

If it comes to it, I believe you complain to the Texas Workforce Commission? Maybe the sheriff?

15. Jeremiah

Not a bad idea - a bit time consuming to go to his bank daily but better than not having the money. It all started when he supposedly got $11k yanked out of his account by the company that put it in, something that I didn't think could happen. But it's supposed to come back in at some point.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You can go complain to whoever, but if the company is out of cash you are sol.

17. Jeremiah

Yeah, having spent an entire year dealing with government agencies due to Hurricane Ike, I'd rather not take that route. Takes way too much time and effort and dealing with apathetic folks.

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I think any combination of these 3 is definitely the answer. There's no need to get emotional, and burn any bridges, but there's also no reason to sit down and take this kind of treatment. Personally, I would do 1 & 3, because I think, in the long term, these will benefit you the most. I understand that you are taking a very serious risk of not being compensated again, but at the same time, you could also be opening yourself up to being in a very powerful position once the time arises that you'll be up for a promotion, or a raise.

19. jonjon

jonjon Contributing Member

If you live in Texas, contact the nearest Workforce Solutions. They have a form called a "Wage Complaint."

Fill it out and fax it to the number provided. This will get TWC (Texas Workforce Commission) involved. Thus, creating trouble for the employer who owes you unpaid wages; and most likely get you your $$$!!!

20. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

This happened to a friend of mine years ago when she was working at a candy store. Every pay day there was a race to the bank because the last ones there didn't get paid. As for the job - I'd quit as soon as possible if they are bouncing checks on you.

As for the checks, you can try to resolve it diplomaticly but you need to get paid. If you are unable to get paid there is an office downtown that handles bounced checks. What will happen is that they will have you fill out paperwork and put your boss on a list of people who have bounced checks. Next time he gets pulled over he will be arrested and stay in jail until he pays up. It took me two years to collect that way but somehow I did end up getting my money. I hated the thought of the woman doing jail time but I spent a lot of time being blown off by her and she knew her check had bounced.