1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My neighbor got burglarized by guys dressed up as city of houston workers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Sep 21, 2013.

1. da1

da1 Member

My parents' next door neighbor just told me a harrowing story.

He said two guys knocked his door dressed up as city of houston workers. They said they needed to go to the backyard and look because some utilities needed to be rerouted for some upcoming cable work that needed to be done. So he let them in the backyard. Then when they went to the backyard, the workers said hold on we need to get something from the van real quick. But instead they ran in through the front door and stole passports, checkbooks, and gold.

This happened in Clear Lake. So just please be aware. If you see someone that you don't know at the door, just don't answer. And don't leave any doors unlocked.

2. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Sorry, but your neighbor needs to come out of the rock he's been hiding under. Most people know by now to ask for a badge and call it in to verify. This con has been going on for years. Plus, it's the weekend, so even more reason to be suspicious.

4. da1

da1 Member

He's a very old man. These people are the most susceptible to such crimes.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Oh, i see. Then, you should forward the info the news, if they're specifically targeting the elderly.

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

How much gold we talkin bout?

7. faraza84

faraza84 Member

What neighborhood? Damn, that's creepy because i know there was a string of robberies last summer with people reporting door to door salesman as suspects. Apparently they would just camp on the street and learn people's schedules.

8. Asian Sensation

Was it physical gold? If so.. I think eddiewinslow might be a party of interest.

9. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

”Now sir, if there's anything that can interfere with our cable work, it's passports, checkbooks, and gold. Please tell me you do not have any of those things on the premises.”
    ”Well, actually, I keep all of those things in the top left dresser drawer in my bedroom. Is that bad?”
    ”Oh yes, sir, very bad. Thank you for telling me, you could have ruined everything we were about to do here.”
    ”Oh, thank goodness.”
    ”Now you just wait right here, sir, I need to get the proper tools to remove this very serious, very not made-up threat from my van.”
    ”God bless your heart.”

*several hours later*

”This sure is taking a while. They must have parked far away.”

Haha.

Old people.

10. da1

da1 Member

Jewelry

11. da1

da1 Member

Bay Glen. A friend of mine that I grew up with's house got broken into recently too, but everyone was at work.

12. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

I hear people are evacuating in Katy.

13. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

I don't open the door unless it's a family member or I have a scheduled appointment made through the phone or online. Otherwise, everyone else can GTFO.

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

Another reason I love having 100lb dogs. This doesn't happen to you.

15. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

They're called "Distraction Burglaries", someone posing as a city worker comes to the door to distract you, while their accomplice breaks into your house to steal things. Some variations to the crime, sometimes they ask to use your restroom or check your water heater.

Don't let anyone into your house. Ask for identification. Call the City to verify who they are.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

Is it illegal to open your door holding a rifle? Unless people can report you as a threat, that would be a good way to keep thems away.

17. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

They also target immigrants who don't speak fluent English, or single women who don't know much about home repairs, appliances, utility lines, etc.

18. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Crime, in Houston. Shocking. Big, big fan of my many security cameras surrounding my casa. It gets addicting, I watch them on my phone all day at work due to **** like this happening everywhere. I'm ready to tap one of these fools.

19. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

I've actually CAUGHT my neighbor stealing my package (had an Acer S3 in it) on camera. Evidently, the cops didn't do much since the camera didn't catch her actually taking it from my door. Here's the video of it:

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZjJ0ngMpRu8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member