1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mutombo wants to buy rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 18, 2017.

1. SemisolidSnake

I can get behind this. It'll make everyone in Houston feel better.

2. verysimplejason

This...

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theundefeated.com/features/dikembe-mutombo-nba-africa-basketball-without-borders/

What is the latest news in your quest to buy your former Houston Rockets with an ownership group?

I’m working on it. I’m really close with three potential investors. I need three potential investors. I need three people. My thing will be having three good investors. I’m looking for people who can put a half a billion [dollars] … If you have three or four of them, that’s good. Or one person that can put more than everybody.

Do you like your chances?

It is a dream. It will be a dream, man. I still want to work for the league. But I just want to be like some of the guys Grant Hill, Shaq [O’Neal]. Some of those guys.

Charlotte Hornets owner Michael Jordan?

Michael is a big-timer … You can say I was part of something big [with Rockets ownership]. Maybe 10 years, 20 years from now when the team gets sold, your grandchildren can say, ‘Hey, look what grandpa left behind.’

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/08/dik...-denver-nuggets-greatness-success-commercials

So what’s next for a man who lives by his word? Mutombo offered an update of sorts on his previously reported interested in buying one of his other former teams.

“I’m putting together a group to buy the Houston Rockets, and we’re getting close,” he said. “Getting close in the next couple weeks, maybe I’ll have a chance. Lot of people, lot of people and good people with a lot of money.”

5. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Quick, someone post a pic of Les with sunglasses finger wags at Mutombo.

6. rockets13champs

4 investors at half a billion makes 2 billion. 4 equal ownership stakes 4 different opinions. I don't know if this is possible

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Dikembe: "We came close."

Hall of Fame center Dikembe Mutombo is proud he assembled a group that he said made a strong run at buying the Houston Rockets franchise.

The Rockets were purchased by Houstonian Tilman Fertitta for a record $2.2 billion.

"We did raise a lot of money. I raised close to $2 billion, but we just didn't get a call, and it happens," Mutombo said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports.

"I was very happy with myself. I'm not crying for the fact that we didn't win. I'm more happy that I was able to pull people together who did believe in my vision to put up that much money. I might be disappointed, but I'm not crying. Things happen, and sometimes they happen for a good reason.

"Even though we didn't win, we came close. I'm happy for Mr.Tilman (Fertitta) and his family."

Mutombo played the final five years of his 18-year career with the Rockets.

He believes Leslie Alexander, who owned the franchise for 24 years, made a great choice in selling to Ferttita.

"I've known Tilman for a long time," Mutombo said. I"'m happy he got the team. He's a great businessman.

"I think he's going to follow the spirit of Uncle Les and his vision. I look forward to going to the games and cheering for my Rockets."

Meanwhile, Mutombo is thrilled he is hosting a benefit concert on Sept. 17 in Atlanta, Ga., with proceeds going to Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner's hurricane relief fund.

"The event is going to be great," Mutombo said. "We're going to raise money and we are going to give it to the mayor.

"You know my heart is in Houston. You don't know what H-Town has done for my life. I have so much love for Houston."​

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I like that he calls him "Uncle Les". I do believe I'm going to miss that uncle. He wasn't perfect, but he was trustworthy and good.

... still a good call on my man Mike D'Antoni...

topfive likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

As a Cookie Monster function.

10. OTMax

OTMax Member

So they never even sat down with Leslie? That's disrespectful to Deke..better for him to keep his mind on other things.