1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[Much Improved] Sportsradio 610's Rocket Coverage

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ima_drummer2k, Feb 23, 2007.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You know, for as much as we Houstonians b**** and moan about the lack of Rockets talk/coverage on Sportsradio 610, I have to give props where props are due. I think this has improved dramatically this year.

They have the Mario Elie hour, regular interviews with JVG, CD, Lindsey, and other Rockets staffers, John and Lance actually talk about them in the morning, Rich and Mark actually talk about them in the afternoon, and of course Matt Jackson has always talked about them.

Am I the only one to notice this? Hopefully this trend will continue, even after baseball season starts.

2. carolbmt

carolbmt Contributing Member

I have also noticed an increase in coverage and now find myself tuning in throughout the day hoping for more stories!

3. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

The Astros and the Texans aren't playing right now, that's probably the biggest reason.

4. marciagong

marciagong Member

We are doing great this year, of cause they like to talk about us now. ;)

5. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Well when I listened to them online they talked about all football all the time, so I stopped. But if they have been talking Rockets a lot I will have to start listening again. :)

Even when the teams they were talking about (Texans) were playing poorly they still talked about them. So I don't think its about success, probably more about what their callers call in to talk about...

since the bandwagon is filling up, there are more people calling in to ask them about the Rockets ... but that's just an opinion :)

6. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

The afternoon guys are still far behind when it comes to Rockets talk, but at least with Elie on during their shift they have to discuss them at least for an hour.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah, it only took 4 months. but better late than never i guess.

i just dont understand how people can continually want to talk about the texans when the draft, alone, is so far away. Im a texan fan but come on, talking about that crap gets old fast.

8. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Chronicle is already wasting loads of space talking about Astros training camp.

9. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I think it's only gotten better since the Rockets got really good. Considering how good they are, and that they play just about every other night, they are stick lacking quite a bit.

Another thing is that in the morning and afternoon I get the sense that they would hardly be able to get through a conversation about the Rockets without having a computer in front of them to "cheat" of off. Now I'm not saying they shouldn't, because it's useful at times, but in constrast it seems like Matt and Adam could do a full NBA discussion (not just Rockets) without any aid at all. I think a lot of us here could do that as well, so why should we expect less from guys whose job it is to talk sports every day?

Yes, this is a football town first and foremost, but the Rockets are the better team by far right now. The city needs to become a basketball city for the next few months, and that could start with the radio shows. Instead they talk about David Carr, Jake Plummer, Tatum Bell, the 8th pick, and Vince Young for about 6 hours of the day...everyday...same discussions.

Then they talk about their city's own elite NBA basketball team for an hour, who is actually in season unlike the other sports, and that's supposed to pacify us? I don't think so, personally.

10. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

They claim they don't talk about the Rockets much because the interest level is low. Yet they never seem excited about bigs wins either. This goes for all of them except for Charlie Palilio. He gets it.

11. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Charlie Palilio, although he can seem smug at times, is one hell of a sports radio host. I recently started listening to him because 610 hasn't been giving the Rockets their deserved attention.

12. Shohoku79

Shohoku79 Contributing Member

I like the Nightshift best, as a whole, their sections talk about Rockets the most.

For a while, the morning crew just gave me the impression that....
    John/Lance: Breaking News, Mario William's Toe is broken, (about 30 minutes or so about that subject)
    John/Lance: Oh yeah, and the Rockets won last night. Now let's get back to Mario's Toe....

So in the mornings as I drive to work I usually just listen to the Sportsflash and tune to something else.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

ClutchCityReturns, that's pretty rough but I admire your spirit! :D

I'm not saying it's where it should be (I personally think it should be wall to wall), I'm just saying it's better than it was a year ago IMO. Like someone else said, it's not just because they're winning and they're getting more calls.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I'd like to think that perhaps WE had something to do with it. Chance (PD) and Matt Jackson are both members here and I'm sure they both read all the flame threads about the lack of Rocket coverage last year. Maybe they actually listened to us.

But yeah, spring training is about to start, so let's hope they don't switch to wall to wall coverage and drop the Rocket coverage all together. I guess we'll just have to wait and see....

14. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

I got Sirius for Christmas, and I listen to NBA Radio all day. It is AWESOME.

They talked extensively about the Rockets several times this week. I'd bet they talked more about the Rox than local shows do in a usual week.

Though I am encouraged by ima_drummer2K's post.

15. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

As bad as 610 is 790 is far worse imo. I've tried to listen to the Monsters of the Midday but all they talking about is David Carr. When there is no Carr discussion they usually venture to national topics which (shocked) are hardly NBA related.

Ted Deluka(sp?) knows nothing about the Rockets. Lopez acts like he's a basketball fan but rarely invites the topic to be a heavy discussion piece. Maybe they're trying to get on a national broadcast. I don't know but they are TERRIBLE. Deluka just said today that the Rockets "don't drive the phones".

Charlie is quite good about the subject but apparently not enough people call into his show to speak about them. He's said that a few times. But he has also urged people to get excited about the team which is more than most attempt.

610 is better but outside of Matt and Adam the other guys visit the subject once under a blue moon. I was surprised to find the morning guys talking so much about them this morning but I don't expect that to last. Lance seems to be a fan but more often than not they'll go to the phones and some guy will get them off track and get it back to Football talk.

The afternoon is mediocre. I like listening to Rich talk about them when they do but Vandermeer still brings nothing and sways the convo back to Football in one way or another. I wish they would switch Matt with him for the afternoon but oh well.

I hope they do something with The Ticket. Locally, the only thing happening is the Rockets but it still feels like we're still in the offseason with the Astros conversation returning and the Texans' draft upcoming.

16. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

It'd gonna be 12 months of Texans talk no matter what. Some days more than others.

The Astros have had a nice run since 2004 so they will get into the mix but if they start to decline again the talk will shift to the Rockets as they are about to start a nice run here IMO.

Look Texans (just like the Oilers were) will be number 1 no matter what when it comes to most intrest/fans because it's a football town. Now Houston has got pockets of very loyal Astro and Rocket fans but it takes wining for many to jump on board.

I gaurantee after a nice playoff run by the Rockets that they will jump back to number 2 behind the Texans in level of intrest.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I've noticed an improvement but let's see how long it lasts with MLB spring training just getting started. I've never had a problem with the Night Shift. Mattj has forevered earned my respect when he said (over the air) that the Rockets were his favorite local team. You can tell he and Adam are passionate about them.

I don't want to put a damper on the thread, but watch what happens when the Astros exhibition games start.

On Mario Elie, I listened to the first or second show and it was so bad I haven't tuned back. Has it improved and does Mario say anything worth listening to? All I heard was people reminiscing about the 90s and Mario was ultra-cautious when commenting about current players/teams. His comments on the Rockets were very bland.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

On 790, Charlie is awesome. He really does a great job all around. I prefer two man teams to get banter going on the show, but he is by far the best one man gig I've heard and he's much better than his afternoon counterparts or anyone else on his station.

In the mornings, Brad and Carl are pretty decent. They've really started to grow on me.

As for 610, Rich and Mark just shouldn't talk about basketball. I want to hear about the Rockets as much as you guys do, but they don't know anything about the team or the sport. Mark gets a pass because he is a football play by play guy doing a general sports show so for that he's fine. Rich is just awful. He doesn't know much about the workings of either baseball or basketball. I've heard him go on and on about trades in both sports that are impossible for this or that simply because he doesn't understand the sports business side. They are best when they stick to football. Sadly, that show is more of a E! on the radio anyway.

Night Shift with matt and adam is the best show though on either station. They really know a lot about each sport they discuss and they can actively debate a topic with both contributing.

As for Monsters of the Midday...well let's just say that 790 got "chronicled" and leave it at that with all the implications that term might imply.

19. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I don't like 790 in the morning and while Charlie is good (much better than Lord and Mark V) I am pretty busy in the afternoon and don't listen much.

As far as 610 goes from what I gather, Rich and Matt (not from Houston) are not Astro or Texan fans the only team they even like are the Rockets (Rich is a Giants and Yankee fan Matt is 49ers fan not sure who he likes in baseball)

John G and Mark V are also not from here but like all the teams. I am pretty sure Granato's favorite team is the Astros and Vandermire is the Texans.

Lance and Adam are Native Houstonians like all of them and I think hearing Lance talk he is pretty hardcore homer.

20. agentkirb

agentkirb Member

BTW... how do you listen to 610 online? Whats the website?