1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[movie] The Golden Compass

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JuanValdez, Dec 17, 2007.

Tags:
  1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Couldn't find a thread on this movie already, except where it made cameos in threads about other movies.

I was excited to see it and take my daughter to it after the previews. I got worried with the disappointing reviews. But, I watched it anyway.

I liked the movie, generally. It had a bit of that sensory lushness (feeling of realness from the mundane elements: metal clinking, stones scraping and the like) but not as much as I'd expected from the preview. Some reviews said it was confusing and muddled -- those reviewers must not have been very smart.

It did have problems that were disappointing though. They rushed through too quickly. There was some stuff that was just sloppy (unless they explained it away while I was in the can), like how the bear seems to transport his armor without so much as a pocket to put it in. And, the resolution was a bit formulaic.

I also thought the religious controversy was overblown. They model the villains on the church. How many countless stories have already used that device? The only qualitative difference is that this is a children's story -- though I bet I could even find other children's stories that do the same thing. If it hadn't been brought to my attention, I wouldn't have thought twice whether I should be offended.

2. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

In the books the church is spectacularly villified. The movie toned it down.

3. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I was pretty let down by the film. I wasnt a HUGE fan of the books, but was intrigued to see the Bear warriors and how everything would translate to screen. I think if they wound up making all three, it would make the first movie better. Unfortunately, the movie costs upward of $200 million and it has pulled in only $40 million...

Dont think New Line will be too ready to finance two more of these... :(

4. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I dont know much about it except some reviews. I was under the impression, it was all religion got slammed, not just the catholic church.

5. hotballa

well I think it's pulled in almost $90M overseas so they have maybe a shot at breakinng even on this though I doubt it with the marketing dollars factored in

6. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

You didn't read the books, did you? There are three books - and they're quite a bit more "controversial" than the movies are. Philip Pullman - the "His Dark Materials" trilogy - The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass.

As usual, the movies don't do the books justice.

7. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Well, yes. The author (phillip pullman) is quite anti-religious as a whole, but the parallels to the catholic church in the books are undeniable.

Regardless, the movie really tones all this down to a moot point. The supposed "furor" from christian groups was laughable.

8. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

I think the other 2 books in the series are more "controversial".

I've read that the author hated C.S. Lewis, and wrote this series to rival the Narnia series. Then I see the trailer for the movie, and the reviews compare it to Narnia.

9. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Definitely. I'm sure most of the religious criticism were from people who didn't even bother to watch the actual MOVIE. I understand the background, the controversial source material, etc. But you should at least view first-hand what you're making a fuss over.

Call me naive (or stupid), but if it weren't for the media hype I wouldn't have drawn any parallels between the villains and religion. The plot is typical like other children's stories, ie kids rebelling against their strict orphanage.

As for the movie, I also think it felt very rushed in certain parts. Overall it was an ok movie, good to see once. The overall atmosphere was very cool. I dig those kind of movies w/ a very convincing, fleshed-out environment. (Which is why Blade Runner is still one of my favorite movies of all time.)

10. Tracy McIverson

it is freakin terrible

half the people in the movie theater were laughing the whole time at it

i went to the restroom, came back, and it was over. you cant even tell it is ending, it was a horrible, horrible waste of my time and money

do not see it

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. :cool:

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

My five year son thought the movie was cool. I thought it was ok. The polar bear fight was a bit too graphic for my son. Other than that ...

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think I read somewhere that in one of the last two novels, the children actually kill God. Hard to get much more anti-religous than that.

I almost wish the movie would do well so they would green-light the last two films. I would be very interested to see how they deal with the backlash they would receive for making THOSE two movies.

14. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

To counteract all that, you gotta count DVD sales. It is a major source of income for movies.
    Hell even pearl harbor broke even with dvd sales added in the mix.

15. hotballa

didn't know this movie would be that controversial. did some reserahc on this Pullman guy. not sure if he really said stuff like "my books are about killing God" or that he's "trying to undermine the basis of Christian belief", but if he did, I really don't know what New Line was expecting greenlighting this film and sinking so much money into it. Controversey might sell some tickets and publicity in the short run but I doubt it's going to be the stuff that blockbuster franchises are made out of.

16. hotballa

ugh that movie broke even? lol

yeah I guess you're right, DVD sales will probably pump more cash into it. But judging by the nosedive of its second week take, I'm not seeing where the legs are gonna be for this movie to pull in more money on the DVD side

17. hotballa

well I gues it's their way to answer the critics of Return of the King who thought it was too Christianized.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

my understanding is they kill a character named God who you wouldn't begin to confuse with God, but with religion, generally.

19. BigTex

BigTex Member

yeah i was holding back laughter the entire movie until i started cracking up right near the end, it was cheezy and bad, but little kids would probably enjoy it.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Now I am absolutely going to see it. The novels were wonderful. I want to see what the children were laughing at.