1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey's (Christmas) Wish-List

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by valorita, Nov 27, 2011.

1. valorita

valorita Member

Goal: upgrade talent without overpaying

Who are likely candidates for Morey's wish list?

Please list the "buy low" type of player and why you think they are a good piece for our team.

2. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

3. valorita

valorita Member

Nene has been getting a lot of love lately but he will be highly coveted by multiple teams and will be getting a big payday.

A more easily attainable candidate might be Al Jefferson

6'10" CENTER, 26 years old. Due $14 mil this year and $15 next.

Had injury a couple seasons ago, since then played all 82 games last year for the Jazz. Bad rep because he played for the Timberpups. Probably the most polished low post player other than Pau Gasol in terms of offensive arsenal (even Chuck has a terrible time guarding him). He also rebounds well and has even developed into a respectable shot blocker (1.9 last year). Utah has Favors, Kanter, Milsap and they are probably willing to part with one of them to open some court time for the young-ins and also save some money in the process.

I am not sure how the contract and salaries will play out but if we can afford Nene (and we don't get him), I am certain we could look into Jefferson.

1 person likes this.
  4. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Very good post. I'd prefer a defender though. AJ still has a large contract and maybe some health issues right?

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Moray is likely targeting at least one player of African descent.

6. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

If the Suns truly rebuild and trade away Nash, I think we should re-open talks with them with a deal centered around Gortat.

He would be attainable if Nene doesn't sign here.

Jefferson is okay but only if he comes cheap.

Haven't heard this one yet but what about Josh Smith from Atlanta? They may trade him at the right price. He's the perfect shotblocker which we desperately need.

7. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

So no Spaniards or Brazilians? :(

8. valorita

valorita Member

Another previously mentioned candidate is Andre Iguodala

6'6" Forward/Guard, 27 years old, due 13.5mil and 14.7next year with player option after that.

It's been pretty well known that the brass of Philly has been trying to move Iggy for a while now. He is over payed (slightly imo) and plays the same position as Evan Turner. Here's why I think he is someone worth getting.

Iggy is the perfect complement to Kevin Martin. Everything Martin is bad at, Iggy is superb in. Defense? AI is probably the best wing defender in the NBA. He is always among the league leaders in steals but gets them playing legit shut down defense and rarely takes any plays off. Play making? Scoring is not his forte but he is very comfortable with the rock in his hands. Could act as second facilitator to help Lowry. Offensive skill? Is a slasher type and finisher.

As a go-to guy type, AI is not the best fit. However, in a team oriented place like Houston where the whole is greater than the individual parts, I think that there is not another better piece to complement Kevin Martin than Iggy (that is reasonably attainable).

If we pursue Iggy, it definitely makes the case for trading Scola since our goal would be to land a premier 2-way post player and have PatPat hopefully be that cheap but good prospect to fill in the starting 5.

1 person likes this.
  9. valorita

valorita Member

I don't think the Suns are going to give up Gortat. Centers are a premium and if you have one on relatively cheap, they are not willing to let go. One thing we know about their owner is that he is cheap and does not like to let go...

Josh Smith is a fantastic piece. The problem is that he is a bit of a tweener. I think he would be best as a SF if you have a Okur type C who likes to float in the perimeter and shoot long jump shots. Otherwise the spacing would be terrible. He is undersized for a PF but as a SF, he would create a huge front-line. The problem is that I'm not sure if we have anybody in our roster that Atlanta covets. They are most likely looking for a center to put next to Horford. If we had a legit center, we wouldn't be looking for creative maneuvers in the first place.

10. cod

cod Member

The Suns aren't trading away Nash. Sarver isn't letting go of his cash cow.

The Rockets are using the amnesty on Scola. Les isn't going to pay Scola $47 million to play for another team.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I don't think trading for any pre-existing contracts constitutes bargain bin shopping. With the new CBA, all salaries except those of superstars and vet mins should go down. By that token, Iguodala and Granger and any other "star" making over 10M a year is overpaid. I'd imagine that Morey will take that into consideration when thinking about both acquiring new players as well as retaining old ones (Martin and Scola anyone?).

12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I got a gut feeling morey will pull off a trade before the season starts might not b a big trade but we have alot of depth I think morey trims da roster b4 da season 4 sumtin legit that way everybody noes there role wen the season starts we play at r best wen the players no there roles I believe so on dec.9 morey will b blowing up the fone lines

13. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

I felt like I was reading Mark Twain.

14. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Car,I thought we all are of African descent? Yetti:p

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I still think Fesenko could be a good pickup and seems like a Morey type of player.

He has size and working with McHale and Chuck might help his progress.

16. jc9495

jc9495 Member

How about an amnesty casualty such as Beidrins?? No, he's not as impactful as Nene or Gasol, but he's defintiely formidable. If anyone can get him playing at the level he did a couiple years ago, it's McHale. If you spend 10+ a year on Nene, Dalembert or whoever... What's the point of all the shuffling the last two seasons? The goal is and always has been to be a big player in the summer/draft of 2012. I'm sorry, Thabeet was acquired for his contract. He's not an answer to anything, and the most he will contribute to this team is when he's either amnestied, or his contract runs out and Houston doesn't pick up the option.
    Also, Iggy or Granger would help on the perimeter, and both could be attainable.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Agreed, and maybe Biedrens if he gets Amnestied..

DD

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I believe Biedrins will be the backup trade option, if other high target free agent Centers go elsewhere. Also, I believe Biedrins could still be Amnestied even after a trade since he is an existing contract after this season if he doesn't work out.

Feigan reported that the trade would have been Thabeet & Hill for Biedrins +something else that Morey wanted but could not get( I assume draft pick). Im not 100% on the Amnesty rules post trade, I could be wrong, but I believe he could still be amnestied by the Rockets if he didnt work out. I think this trade, like many others, will be on the backburner if other deals do not work out.

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

draws a lot of fouls, undersized and not a position we need to upgrade is what we typically go after.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Omer Asik in a trade.
    Chuck Hates re-signs to be his backup.
    Llull brought over.
    Don't exercise options on Thabeet, Flynn, Hill, and Williams.
    Nene would be nice.
    Howard would be the pie in the sky.