1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey to blame?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NL Rocket, Jan 22, 2013.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

How short memories are...

[​IMG]

2. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

But that falls on the players not the coach. San Antonio runs a great system that relies on the ball moving faster than the players. But it takes a few seasons for players to develop that kind of confindence with each other. This all takes time. At least we're not the Lakers.

3. CertifiedTroll

How can you blame Morey for young players not producing? In 4 years from now the majority of our players will just be hitting their "prime" years of play. Go hit your head on something hard

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Ummm, he acquired a team riddled with horrible contracts getting over-paid based on very little production. He also acquired two superstars who were literally one step away from an injury every time they stepped onto the court. How is it possible for people to be THIS short-sighted?? Morey isn't exactly working with the Lakers here, who sell themselves to free agents. He has to build a contender through savvy draft picks, and creative trades, and he's done a MASTERFUL job at it. His understanding of the game is fundamentally wrong?? How do you know that?? What do you know about his understanding of the game?? Nothing. What I do know is that he has acquired a MAJOR piece in James Harden, and that to me was the hardest domino to make fall. Now that he's done that, you want to call him out for taking too long? That makes absolutely no sense to me. The Rockets are in one of the best positions in the entire NBA: a young team with a promising future, a solid superstar to build around, and all of the cap flexibility in the world to attract a second All-Star. Even the Spurs started somewhere.......

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL the 2 star rating on this thread says everything. I keep saying I'm not a DM's biggest fan but posters like you keep making me look like a Morey apologist because you just keep saying stuff that's just wrong.

Morey has run this team for approximately 6 years. You might say "oh that's more than half a decade", but then again remember he inherited a team that had Tmac, Yao Ming, and a bunch of trash like Rafer Alston and Juwon Howard. ANd he turned that crappy team with an injured Tmac and Yao Ming about to retire into the youngest team in the league with a legitimate superstar. In just 6 years. To put that into perspective, 6 years ago OKC started with full capspace, Kevin Durant, one other top 10 lottery pick, and they still haven't won a ring.

Other teams like the Pistons, Bucks, Kings etc. have GMs who aren't seen as bad but they've been rebuilding more than 6 years ago and our current roster is still better than them.

So before you go on your bash Morey rant just ask yourself what a better GM might have done better, then take a look at how Morey changed the roster from Luther Head all the way to James Harden and realize what a good job he and his staff has done putting talent on the table.

P.S. To the OP, layups and 3 pts are good, mid-range shots are bad. Just ask Starbury, AI, Francis and Melo how many rings they got shooting those mid-range Js. Hell, almost all of MJ's buzzer beaters are 3s as well.

6. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Is Morey to blame for the AWESOME future that the Rockets have? I mean, we have a player who will be a top 5 player in the league soon enough with plenty of room to add another TOP 5 player, or at worst top 15 w/ other intricate pieces.

I blame Morey for that and I hope the consequences of these actions get him an extension with the Rockets.

7. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

lol @ awesome.
    Morey overpaid for Harden.
    Only other offer on the table was the wizards #3 pick

i hope he gets fired if he doesn't get his act together, but cheap les might not cos morey has been making him profits year after year without causing him to pay any luxury tax.
    Plus, Les is in no hurry to put together a championship contender.
    Hakeem got him two and he has been content ever since

8. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

80mil for the best young SG in the league is overpaying?

9. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Seriously, why do people do not get the point I'm making? It's simple: I'm saying maybe we should blame Morey about hiring a coach and making him play a certain way / system and McHale cannot be blamed since he is what he is and the Rockets knew what they were getting when they hired him. This has nothing to do with Morey's trades or any other aspect about his job, other than what I've mentioned.

10. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

OVERPAID TO GET HIM
    HE IS DEFINITELY WORTH THE MAX

11. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I think almost everything in this post is the complete opposite of reality. I won't even spend any energy trying to debate with you on any of these as they do not seem like points as much as they do bitter and blind emotions.

12. tzou88

tzou88 Member

Live by the 3, and the die by the 3. Can lead to some exciting basketball, or the ****tiest basketball ever.

13. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

U mean you do not want to debate cos you know its right.
    Go on, point anything that you think is a lie in it?

14. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I don't know... The Spurs have been pretty impressive as their big three have declined. They're able to make it work because they have a system and they adapt it to fit their personel. The Lakers, on the other hand, have a stubborn coach who is trying to implement a system that doesn't adapt for his players, and, despite having more talent than anybody in the league, they're losing. Of course, Phil Jackson had a system that worked, and if he was still there, maybe the Lakers would be another example of this.

15. duteman

duteman Member

morey is to blame when we are better than the lakers at a much cheaper pricetag.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Ok, thanks for explaining this a little better.

Here are my thoughts-

When Morey made the McHale hire more than a few people scratched their heads. In my eyes, I tried to look at the move and think about the basketball reasons. I saw McHale as a potentially great big man coach who could really setup a nice half court system that catered to an inside-out type of game. But the only inside out post player the Rockets had at that time was Scola.

Then the Pau/Nene situation happened/didn't happen, and it made their master plan make more sense. I thought about McHale's inside out philosophy along with a touch of what Finch brought with the motion offense he had been running in RGV and could then only dream about what could have been.

Now here we are a year later, and we have a coach whose basketball philosophies are the exact opposite of what is currently being run, and HE'S RUNNING IT WELL... sort of speaks to A. his lack of stubburness to force a system down the players throats that isn't the right fit for his roster (cough cough... MIKE D'ANTONI), and B. It shows his versatility and overall basketball knowledge to create a system seemlessly overnight that for weeks supported the leagues best offense.

To me, that shows alot. I want a coach that is open to creating a system that is best for his players. McHale seems to at least be open to doing that, and has proven that he can create a system on the fly with success.

For a young team that was destined to change on a dime in a massive overhaul of the roster, I think Morey picked the right guy for now, and if he was picking him before knowing that the Pau/Nene move was likely to happen, it definitely would have been a great hire IMO if that deal worked out, and Nene's health would have held up.

All things considering McHale would have been a good fit then, and now he seems to be proving himself as a good coach to deal with a team in flux. In a year or two once they stabilize on a roster there might be a better coaching system to fit the players, but right now since we dont know who will be on this roster in 2 years other than James Harden, I think McHale is a good fit to deal with that flux.

#56 dobro1229, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  17. New

Well said. it's not about blame. It's not about our standings. it s about how we play in the game.

18. conquistador#11

op,
    we're young. turnover to turnover we stand! no promises, no demands.

19. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Have you seen San Antonio's roaster...??? They have guys on their bench who could be starters and the Rockets have (some) guys who are starting who should be coming off the bench... Bad example....

20. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

Thats a lame excuse
    Its not one's fault that our team is young except for the man who assembled them.
    That's like NY or SA or LA saying "we are old" every time they lose a game