1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey: Rockets Will Replace Landry Through Draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by LongTimeFan, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Egghead

Egghead Member

nice list... I would stay away from Alabi..i don't think he's any good.

Whiteside is very very raw.. he has very high potential.. but also has high bust potential too...

Also ur missing Epke Udoh from Baylor
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ekpe-Udoh-1220/

2. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

If I was in charge of drafting for the Rockets, id go:

1. Wall
    2. Turner
    3. Favors
    4. Johnson
    5. Whiteside -- could be a huge bust
    6. Cousins

My sleeper picks (guys who will fall/go late and be pretty good in the NBA):

Henry
    Warren
    Bradley
    Pittman
    Latavious Williams

Btw, happy bday to Monroe! Turns 20 today.

3. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

When its all said and done however, I think the Rockets will draft Donatas Motiejunas if they have the chance to.

He's a 7foot PF who can run the floor, shoot from mid-range (from the European sites i've been reading he's working on his 3pt game right now).
    He's got some international experience, he's quick, he's a lefty, is competitive and is a workhorse. Talented offensively.

His favorite player is Luis Scola.

He's 19 years old so he will have time to add some body muscle and become a good rebounder. He isn't afraid to bang inside already.

He wouldn't be my top pick, but I could see why Morey and especially Adelman would want to pick him up.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E37MBYJ-w7k&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E37MBYJ-w7k&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

4. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Man I hope your wrong. he is exactly what we don't need from a big. I agree with the similarities to Bargnani. But not as good. Nowitzki is a bit of a stretch. The problem with those guys is they need physical bigs around them. Maybe he could work with Yao but could you imagine him and Yao going up against Denver. Too soft.

We need a rebounding shotblocking big that can't be pushed around very easily. We need Dorsey with a shot and brains. Unfortunatley the only potential for that in the draft is Favors and he is a project. Plus he is a top 5 pick.

IMO Favors, Cousins, Alrich, Aminu, will not be available. Donatas Ed Davis Whiteside will doubtfully be available. Add Wall, Turner and Wes Johnson and that leaves us with Monroe, Sanders, Udoh, Alabi, Brackins.

Out of those I take Sanders. He brings rebounding passing and shotblocking and he is developing a shot. If you want to watch he is playing on espn 360 right now.

UPDATE:Okay Larry Sanders finished today with 17pts on 7-10 shooting with a couple of outside shots an alley oop and some hooks add that with 12 rebs and 4 blocks. He intimidated a whole bunch of others and is surrounded by a bunch of unspecial shooters.

His length is special and will translate to the NBA.

#124 Old Man Rock, Mar 6, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  5. LifeisButaDream

Would taking sanders in the lottery be to high.I cant see being picked higher then 12 and no lower then 16.

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If the player Morey wants isn't there at 13-14, but there are a group of players he likes (a little less) who would be available lower in the draft order, don't be surprised to see the Rockets move back in exchange for additional/future picks.

Personally, if all the top prospects are gone when the Rockets pick, I'd love to see Morey trade back in exchange for another 2011 first rounder.

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

According to Morey, the 2011 draft will be watered down (with the rumors of impending NBA lockout, less players will come out early) and the 2012 will be a good one. I believe he made the comment in the Bill Simmons podcast.. it would make more sense of the Top 1 protection in 2011 but higher Top 5 protection in 2012.

8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I've never seen Motiejunas play so I have no opinion of him, but I think you're completely wrong about the PF we need next to Yao. Scola is the complete opposite of someone like Favors. He's short, plays below the rim, and can't block shots. Yet he's an amazing fit next to Yao because of his high skill level and experience. Scola's like a mini-Pau Gasol in that he just knows to play the game.

We've had several athletic freaks, defenders, and role players next to Yao. But if they don't have the skills to take pressure off of Yao offensively they're not going to cut it. We an Odom, not a Camby.

#128 MrButtocks, Mar 6, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  9. LifeisButaDream

I wouldn't mind trading our pick for 2 1 rounders and pick up Udoh and then a backup pg like Bradley

10. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

I haven't seen Motiejunas play either but you're right on we need a versatile big with length. Odom himself would be the ideal fit on the Rockets. :p He is not known as a interior intimidating presence but he proves he can play defense really well in the playoffs and his offensive game just can't be replaced by a Camby. Dude can post up, pass the ball, attack the rim from the perimeter. He takes lots of pressure off Kobe/Gasol. With that being said I'm not sure we should take this european guy. He could be the next Pau Gasol or he could be the next Milicic. I'll leave it to DM.

11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

This my exact point. We already have Scola. we don't need another Scola. I am not crazy about Favors but a more athletic shotblocking big we help in matchups against teams that already had some dominating bigs. I always hoped that Dorsey would bring the type of physical play that a Ben Wallace brought Detroit in heir championship years. But he just was not very bright. So I still hope for that for he Rockets. I know Bosh is not exactly that. What he is a better Scola. Scola upgrade that's all.

12. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

They already have Lowry, Brooks and Lull.

13. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Potential Sleeper: 19 yr old, Jan Vesely 7'0 (in shoes) SF/PF/C

I find the guy very interesting, his an agile 7'0 that can handle the ball, has deep range all the way to three and shows great athleticism, can finish inside with contact....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3zlB5w08_Es&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3zlB5w08_Es&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

--RB

14. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Vesely can be another Casspi in the making...but we already have Scola...the reason why Scolandry worked for us is that we can give different looks in the PF position...we now need someone who can be an athletic PF/C...block shots,rebounds well and play pick n roll...and most of all, someone who can be of insurance in case Yao goes down again..can't go with Hayes as starting C anymore next year.

15. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

GREG MONROE GREG MONROE GREG MONROE GREG MONROE

16. Egghead

Egghead Member

dont sleep on Baylor's junior PF Ekpe Udoh... draftexpress has the Rockets choosing him with the 15th pick

Best Case: Rasheed Wallace W/out The Attitude
    Worst Case: Solomon Jones

Offense

Strengths
    • Uses body well – seals off lane, pins defender
    • Creates separation when making post moves
    • Good decisions against double teams
    • Good speed

Weaknesses
    • Needs to improve shooting touch
    • Lacks aggression
    • Needs to work on post moves

Defense

Strengths
    • Active defender
    • Excellent shot blocker – avoids fouls
    • Moves feet well
    • Gets good rebounding position

Weaknesses
    • Needs to be stronger against post players
    • Needs to work on help defense
    http://nba.draftsite.com/index.php?player=3269

17. swattx

swattx Member

dude is impressive. i think he's more of a sf/pf type player cos of the way he can handle the ball n he can jump out the gym. hows his defense? if he gets bullied in the post, we really dont need him. but a very interesting prospect

18. towW

towW Member

Has anyone mentioned Ekpe Udoh.
    Saw him in an upset over Syracuse the other day.

He seems to play big at 6'10" can shoot the mid range (48% overall), take the ball to the hoop with pretty good ball handling skills for a big man(surprisingly isn't turnover prone), and has the intensity to become a legit shotblocker/rebounder in the NBA(avg 4.2blks, 9.9rebs).

If Morey is looking for a big with legit athleticism that fits into Adelman's offense I can't say anything that will hold him back.

This guy is under the radar and I wouldn't mind Morey snagging him and turning him into a Rasheed Wallace w/ less 3pt range and attitude.

19. towW

towW Member

20. Convictedstupid

Do you mean you saw the baylor game highlights during the syracuse game? Baylor didnt play Syracuse.