1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey: Rockets Will Replace Landry Through Draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by LongTimeFan, Feb 24, 2010.

1. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

We need to find a Brook Lopez clone.

2. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

The guy who is the most similar to Lopez IMO, is Cole Aldrich....6'11 with a 7'6 wingspan, he may not have the same impact offensively like Lopez, but his defense should be way better than Lopez...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZOy-j5eoJ20&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZOy-j5eoJ20&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Their also a bunch of other big men with high ceilings in this draft (Favors, Cousins, Whiteside, Monroe, Montiejunas, Vesely, Sanders, etc.)

--RB

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Aren't comparisons usually made to point out similarities? That said, as far as I'm concerned Aldrich vs. Lopez is about as apples/oranges as you can possibly get. I mean, you're comparing a dominant post scorer to a guy that had what....one basket in that highlight video that wasn't assisted or was a garbage/hustle point?

4. MONON

MONON Member

Hayesfan, I realize the DM has probably already asked you this, but how does Cousins compare to Hayes as far as heart & bb IQ goes at the college level?

5. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

DeMarcus Cousins is a beast. His headband kinda reminds me of Dampier though. :grin:

6. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

I know Morey is looking for a C/PF type of player in this draft and DeMarcus is probably too slow for the PF position but if we're ever lucky enough to lay our hands on him you don't miss a talent like that because he can't play 4.

7. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Cousins is a nice player, but they say he is lazy. He can't stay in a game for 30 minutes, because of poor conditioning. He sounds like the T-Mac version of a center, very skilled and talented but lazy. Poor conditioning may work in college, but it will lead to frequent injuries in an 82-game schedule.

1 person likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

I understand the point you're trying to make but dominant post scorer? Please step away from the Lopez kool-aid. Teams with dominant post scorers don't end being the worst team in league history :rolleyes:

9. baller4life315

I'm not going to take the bait here with your latest obsession. We both know the kid can play. Second year players don't average nearly 20 PPG with a PER in the 20's unless they're doing something right. The point is he's a talented scorer that do it in a variety of ways versus a player like Aldrich that only scores off of hustle/garbage points. I was merely pointing out how poor of comparison I thought that was. Regardless of whatever your opinion of Lopez is you should know and respect his game enough to recognize this disparity since it's rather quite obvious.

10. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of physical comparisons, given that their both 6'11 with 7'5+ wingspans, and avg. mobility & explosiveness, but yeah its obvious that Brook is the superior scorer.....and looking at it, you can put Cousins in those physical categories as well... ;)

However with that said I think your underselling Aldrich, no the guy doesn't have(or will have) the offensive game that Brook has, but I do think his Interior defense will be far more superior given how active he is and the length he provides to the front court....(currently avg. 3.6 blk pg)

In addition, Aldrich is developing accuracy with his shot, evident from his 73.2% avg. from the free throw line for his college career, indicating he has the potential to develop a mid-range shot and hence a mid-range game......

But yes your right it was a poor comparison... my bad :grin:

--RB

11. baller4life315

I respect Aldrich as a player, but that fact that he plays for one of the biggest programs in college basketball has unquestionably helped his draft stock, IMO. If he's taken as highly as he's projected (possibly top five in some mock drafts), I have a feeling he could turn into another Shelden Williams type who's lack of skills and upside really negates any potential he has to succeed on the glass/boards. As seen with Shelden, he was a much better player than Aldrich in college yet he's struggled to secure himself a spot in an NBA rotation due to his inability to put the ball in the basket (and motor issues). I foresee Aldrich having some of the same issues going into the pro's where standing underneath the basket and collecting garbage points is very difficult to do. He'll need to develop a serious face/post-up game if he plans on ever being anything more than just a fringe starter or role player. In any event, that's a tough sell to me if I'm armed with a top five pick.

12. okrockets

okrockets Member

I've scoured the internet for the best videos and I've broken down the prospects. Let's take some time out and figure out the Rockets 2010 lottery pick. It's a good draft, so lets look at the bright side of this season:

Demarcus Cousins - He plays strong as hell, hes a beast on the glass, he can impose his will down low. But he has character issues, looks too much like Jermaine O'Neal, hes not a shot blocker and he doesnt get up very high. I'd prefer a leaper next to Yao.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GznSUHnZYFY

Al-Farouq Aminu - Freakish athlete with the long arms of Kevin Durant. But all he seems to do is dunk and block shots. Wish he had any other offensive game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwHm81oXlY8

Patrick Patterson - Good guy, good teammate. Polished, versatile inside/outside offensive game. He's been compared to Carl Landry but I think he might become more of a tweener in the NBA. And we probably don't dont need another undersized power forward who lacks elite athleticism.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsvTA9mDzRQ

Hassan Whiteside - Reminds me of a young Marcus Camby. Ridiculous upside. I think he'll be drafted real high based on potential and 7 footers always go earlier than they should. He's a little risky but I could see him become an all star center every year. Twin tower with Yao? I'll bet he has a Hasheem Thabeet-type rookie year though and our window is closing after Yao's next few seasons.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl6q49ruwS4

Derrick Favors - These videos reminded me why I've thought Favors is by far the best big man in the draft. He's a great character guy, moves as fluid as a young KG, and has all the potential in the world. The elite big man of this year's class. The entire package. The perfect fit for our team. My first choice.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tjziJV5oak

Ed Davis and John Henson - Please dont draft either of these UNC overrated scrubs. They both get the "Marvin Williams Award" for "token UNC guy who didn't do much in college but for some reason we think he'll translate to superstar in the NBA"

Cole Aldrich - Please dont draft the next Tyler Hansbrough either

Xavier Henry - I love his game. Smooth lefty stroke, Battier-type guy/intelligence, has all-around skills. Will be a good starting 2-3 in the league for a long time. If we could get a 4 some other way, I'd love for us to get Henry to be our 3 instead of Ariza.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BApMJPNCfPk

Willie Warren - Overrated three point gunner. Eddie House at best.

Evan Turner - The next Brandon Roy. Will be a top 3 pick. Probably #2 after John Wall. I dont see us going after him now that we got Kmart.

Wesley Johnson - 6'9" SF who is a skinnier Andre Iguodala. Top ten pick for sure though. I wouldn't argue with adding him.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxl8--py1Z8

Greg Monroe - Reminds me of a bigger, left handed Carl Landry. Inside/outside game and hes a true 6'10". That would be perfect as long as he had Landry's motor. Maybe he does but I'm not sure. Could possibly be a great Landry replacement.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnMEmDeteMc

Stanley Robinson - Amazing athlete, exciting to watch, hard worker, good length, but might be too much of a tweener than a true PF. Might be Tyrus Thomas with a better attitude.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fk5DqNS5mo

John Wall - We dont even need to go here. You have to draft him if you win the lottery regardless of what your roster is. It's that simple.

OR we could go ahead and play last years 6'10" lottery pick once in awhile, a guy by the name of Jordan Hill, AT LEAST let him replace Jared Jeffries minutes!

3 people like this.
  13. swattx

swattx Member

nice first post... would rep u if i could

14. swattx

swattx Member

Hassan Whiteside is impressive. Shot blocking is really needed on the rockets and he brings that as well being able to stretch the defense as well as finishing inside. He'd be the perfect fit wit Yao. He would be my top big man pick in this years draft. If not him then Greg Monroe since both should be able to play both power fowfard and center.

15. LifeisButaDream

16. LifeisButaDream

We better not take Cole Aldrich in the lottery :mad:

17. MaMakota

MaMakota Member

Why did we trade for Hill if we're not gonna use the young fella? I rather see the Rocket-organization work on Hill.. If we get a high pick I'd love to see some big fella in place of Yao, we have no guarantees with Yao no longer, I'd love to see the rockets starting line-up not being undersized.

18. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

My top 10 list of bigmen prospects In terms of potential, and the comparisons listed about them from a multitude of draft-boards...

1. Whiteside (7'0)--David Robinson | Marcus Camby
    2. Favors (6'10)-- Amare Stoudamire | Emeka Okafor
    3. Montiejunas (7'0)--Andrea Bargnani | Dirk Nowitzki
    4. Cousins (6'11)--a 6'11 Al Jefferson | Zach Randolph
    5. Monroe (6'11)-- less athletic Chris Webber | Brad Miller
    6. Aldridge (6'11)-- more offensive Joel Pryzbilla
    7. Sanders (6'10)--Theo Ratliff(7'7 wingspan)
    8. Vesely (6'11)-- Yi Jianlian
    9. Brackins (6'10)-- Shareef Abdur Rahim
    10. Alabi (7'1)--Samuel Dalembert

--RB

19. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

He's trading piece, just like Donte Greene or Spanoulis. The true target is Bosh or a better prospect.

20. towW

towW Member

David Robinson please.