1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Monta Ellis: Stephen Curry and I Can't Play Together

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by A_3PO, Sep 28, 2009.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I agree with him.

BTW, can anyone tell me which Warriors player still likes playing for Nellie?

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/09/28/warriors-monta-ellis-says-he-cant-play-alongside-stephen-curry/

Warriors' Monta Ellis Says He Can't Play Alongside Stephen Curry

Posted Sep 28, 2009 5:10PM By Matt Steinmetz

Monta EllisOAKLAND, Calif. -- Most everyone came to the Warriors' start of training camp on Monday to hear what forward Stephen Jackson was going to say about that trade demand he made a few weeks back.

But it was Monta Ellis who might have had the most interesting -- and perhaps the most troubling -- thing to say on Day 1.

Ellis was asked a relatively innocuous question about playing alongside rookie Stephen Curry, and responded emphatically that the two smallish guards weren't going to be able to play together.

"Us together? No," Ellis said. "Can't. We just can't. ... Just can't."

Someone then jumped in and said to Ellis: "Do you understand, they (the Warriors and coach Don Nelson) say you can?"

"They say you can?" Ellis repeated. "They say you can ... but you can't. I just want to win and you're not going to win that way."

Nelson had said on Friday that he envisioned Ellis and Curry playing together despite their collective lack of size. Nelson said that the team planned to do a lot of scheming to help Ellis and Curry at the defensive end, but that the Ellis/Curry tandem was going to get a look.

In fact, Nelson had said that the idea to use Jackson more at shooting guard this season, which was his intent at the end of 2008-09, had basically been scrapped.

Follow NBA FanHouseEllis made it very clear why he thinks such a backcourt pairing would fail.

"It's different," Ellis said. "When you're trying to compare Stephen and you're trying to go back with me and Baron (Davis) playing. It's a different situation. You've got a nine-year veteran who has been in the game and understands the game and knows how to play the game and he's got a big body.

"You can't put two small guys out there and play the one and the two. You've got big two-guards in the league. You just can't do it. Yes, you're going to move up and down but eventually the game is going to slow down. You can't do it."

2. Egghead

Egghead Member

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

wow GS is going to implode such a shame after the recent success they had losing Davis was worse than anticipated.

Teams are going to lowball the warriors for their talent

4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

He sounds like an ass, but he's right.

Warriors need to get rid of Nellie...

5. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Rockets sneak in and acquire Monta through the backdoor - something involving Francis TE/Cook/picks would do nicely.

Get 'er done Morey.

6. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Great, we can totally get Monte Ellis for cheap, given that the warriors are not going to trade Curry....

Maybe we can even get Brandon Wright!! :D

-rocketblaze

7. Francis 4 ever

biendris jackson and elis for yao and tmac

gitrdone morey

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Hell, we have a big 2 guard, they can have him. Clear up their cap space. He won't play until December at the earliest, but I'd take Monta Ellis and Stephen Jackson to be sure, and trade Brooks right afterward (speaking of small guards that shouldn't play together).

Ellis, by the way, is absolutely right. Although I loved watching Golden State jackslap the Mavs two or three playoffs ago, in general, I will never understand why Don Nelson gets so much credit as a coach. The small-ball thing gets a little ridiculous after awhile. He drove off Chris Webber by insisting he play a full-time 5 (okay, Webber was also a bit childish), he nearly incited Patrick Ewing to kill him (why the Knicks hired Nelson when his track record of sitting centers is beyond me....)

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

When asked can you play alongside Aaron Brooks Monta Ellis replied "You can't"

1 person likes this.
  10. young truth

young truth Member

are you high. I would trade ellis and stephen jackson for t-mac

11. landryfan14

landryfan14 Member

Don't think that will happen. Yao is our cash cow... mcgrady is just a cow lol
    Would like Jackson and Elis here though.

12. dtrain0928

dtrain0928 Member

LOL...

13. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

Wow all this talk of getting Jackson.

Didn't we just get rid of one head case from the Detroit brawl. Do we need another.

Pass.

Ellis maybe. But I am vehemently against moving Tmac to get him.

14. landryfan14

landryfan14 Member

I have a feeling Rashad McCants is a headcase too.
    You are right.. don't need 2 headcases here lol

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

He's right, they can't play together if the Warriors want to win basketball games.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

They both go about 6' 3" and 180 lbs. That is a small, small backcourt. Just about any other team in the league could post them up. Maybe they could zone?

Press in the Bay Area about Monta and Nellie not getting along has been intense for quite a while, especially since his non-b-ball injury last year.

17. MingMingDynasty

Monta is a r****d who needs a personal nanny to prevent f%#$ ups in the media like this. Everyone knows that backcourt will fail, just like Francis and Marbury could not play together. You only need so many undersized combo guards on the floor at a time and that number is 1 or 0.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I've said it before, but basically their win over Dallas in the playoffs might have been the worst thing to ever happen to that franchise. Nelly just got a contract extension last year and is going to keep trying to field a 7-guard rotation till they kick him out of there.

19. Francis 4 ever

going price for tmac is dalembert :rolleyes:

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

The moment they drafted Curry I knew this was going to be a problem. It doesn't help that Ellis is coming off of a poor year and absolutely, positively NEEDS to play alongside an elite playmaker to be most effective.