1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference 2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GBRocket, Feb 28, 2013.

1. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

Now in it's 7th year, the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference (founded by our own Daryl Morey) will take place this Friday and Saturday here in Boston.

I wanted to create a thread to capture anything interesting (and Rockets-related) that comes out of the conference. So if you're going to the conference or following it closely online, please post here! There will likely be a ton of twitter activity on the hastag #SSAC13 so do follow along there for the up-to-the-minute latest.

Some of you might remember that I managed to attend the conference last year and wrote up a post about some of the tidbits that came out of it: here. One rather interesting insight that came out of the conference last year was around Coach McHale's use of analytics, a story that Clutch followed-up on and which was picked up by Ball Don't Lie: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/video-kevin-mchale-isn-t-too-interested-sports-210615682.html.

If you want to watch at home, there is a live stream for some of the panels (it isn't free unfortunately) - check out the Sloan Conference website for more details: http://www.sloansportsconference.com/?page_id=477. If anything, I highly recommend you tune in (if you can) to the first panel at 9am ET tomorrow, "Revenge of the Nerds," featuring Daryl, Nate Silver, Mark Cuban and Michael Lewis.

This year I'll be one of the organizers of the conference, so I'm not sure how much time I'll be able to spend hunting for Rockets insights but I will do my best. If any of you are here, do let me know - it would be great to meet!

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/?page_id=477

#1 GBRocket, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    2 people like this.
  2. GBRocket

Apologies, here is the live agenda that you can stream:

[​IMG]

And the full agenda:

[​IMG]

#2 GBRocket, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  3. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Great. Just rated, repped and subscribed.:)

1 person likes this.
  4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

pretty weak they aren't live streaming everything for free

5. GBRocket

Yeah, that is too bad. They usually do a pretty good job of posting full videos of the panels after the event if that's any consolation.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I won't be able to watch it live. So if I sign up and pay will I be able to watch these sessions for, say, 24 hours? Or is it only possible to watch it live?

7. GBRocket

It's a good question - I would tweet it to @sloansportsconference and ask.

8. kastuul

kastuul Member

I remember.
    The Knicks management gave Lin's #17 jersey to Morey last year.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Lazy Morey hang out with his nerd friends while the team battles for its life after Morey gives away both of its PFs in rotation.

10. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

wow. It's already 2013. You are old.

11. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I'll just hangout at the barbershop and buy the bootlegged version

12. GBRocket

There is some coverage of Rockets-related content from the conference from the Houston Rockets twitter feed, FYI.

13. GBRocket

Nothing too much of note has happened so far, although Mark Cuban did take the opportunity to razz Daryl about Royce White in the cornerstone "Revenge of the Nerds" panel, saying he would have handled it differently.

Public humiliation of Daryl is becoming quite the annual tradition - last year of course, the topic du jour was him releasing Jeremy Lin.

14. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

GBRocket, will transcripts be available from the panel discussions? It's not possible for me to get the live streaming but I would be interested in reading what some of the panels said, especially the football related ones.

#14 Jet Blast, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  15. basketballholic

Did Cuban offer up what he would have done differently?

16. instar

instar Member

He would've amnestied White.
    #AmnestyThat

17. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UL14ewR-10k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Has Daryl lose weight?

19. ejarts

ejarts Member

they don't stream conferences for free. special . special knowledge comes with a price. if you're gonna be working and using analytics for work, its worth going there and paying. that's just how conference work people, its not like comiccon.

20. ejarts

ejarts Member

OMFG. nobody else watched this??

"I TALKED TO A COUPLE OF FREE AGENTS YESTERDAY".

Guys, who do you think DM talked to? So proud I'm a Rockets fan. How many GMs start a Nerdvana titled freaking "MIT"analytics... lol