1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Min Republican State Rep. Tweet about NBA and Street Crime

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by apollo33, Mar 9, 2014.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Let's be honest, 70% of teams in NBA could fold tomorrow + nobody would notice a difference w/ possible exception of increase in streetcrime</p>&mdash; Rep. Pat Garofalo (@PatGarofalo) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatGarofalo/statuses/442805513697628160">March 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm not quite sure what his implications are

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Non-fed legislator in another state? Little too far off the radar to care.

3. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Ok, he's had his 15 minutes of fame...now he can go back to being a nobody.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

On Deadspin a commenter linked to several of his posts about the NBA. He hates the NBA a lot. A whole lot.

5. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Timberwolves fan

6. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Looked at his tweets...he's disparaging of basketball, but likes hockey and NASCAR. Yikes.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Didn't Ray Lewis say something like this during the lockout? That players need the game to keep them from breaking the law?

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The implication is that he is a terrible person.

9. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

The Star Tribune reports (http://strib.mn/1cNB6Ys ) that when asked about the tweet, the Farmington Republican said he was "talking about NBA's high arrest rate and that they are the only major pro league that testing positive for mar1juana is not a substance abuse violation."

Wow...I haven't seen a pic yet but this has to be a clueless, old, white man.

I wonder if Love wants to stay with that train wreck of a team and people like that running his state.

10. SamFisher

Also - some of his best friends are black.

11. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Democrats run the whole state here. (every statewide office, a majority of congressional seats and both houses of the state legislature) This loony toon is a minority in the legislature.

Kevin Love might love for a variety of reasons but this loser is probably not one of them

12. justtxyank

I actually did a research project on crime in the NBA like 6 or 7 years ago and the numbers are pretty staggering. I think people would genuinely be shocked at how violent the NBA is.

There's a really good book about it. If I remember the name I'll edit this post to put it in there.

Violent sexual assault by NBA players is like a pandemic in the league.

Edit: Out of Bounds: Inside the NBA's Culture of Rape, Violence, and Crime

Name of the book above. When did I my research the NBA was higher than the NFL or MLB by a significant margin.

13. SamFisher

You should do it again. The NFL is off to a brilliant start to 2014 with 2 ex-players exposed as serial rapists, Ray Rice scoring a TKO on his fiancee on camera, and whoever got arrested this weekend for the fight in the strip club.

14. bongman

bongman Member

What were your conclusions as to the reason why this was the case?

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's surprising; it always looked to me like football had more criminals. But, maybe that's only because they have more players. Or the NBA has a better PR department.

16. justtxyank

Yeah the NFL has some doozies to be sure. But no thanks on doing it again. No incentive now!

Causality wasn't the scope of the project. It was a mere statistical compilation and comparison project. It's for people of a different pay grade to come up with causes and solutions!

At the time the NBA got considerably less media coverage. The NBA also has more power over its coverage. But, it's a per capita issue. There are more NFL players so while you may hear more NFL crimes, they are a lower total % of the population.

My project was violent crimes and had to feature an arrest at a minimum.

I'm not going to defend the NFL though. (baseball also has more than people realize) Athletes in general are a worse subset of society and their behavior towards women is truly horrifying.

17. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/w8b81UM74Ow" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was listening to a discussion on this on KFAN MN sports talk radio and the host brought this point up. Since Rep. Garafalo is a hockey guy consider which sport condones fighting and what sport levels heavy fines including year long suspensions for fighting.

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The NBA doesn't have an arrest problem. Stern cleaned that up in the last few years. He has been tougher than Goodell. As for drugs, NBA's testing policy is the toughest in the major sports. That stems from the cocaine problem in the 80s.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The NFL has a higher percentage of it's players arrested as well. It isn't just higher totals.

The NBA gets a bad rap, but it is a misconception everyone has. Not a racist tweet.

Then consider which sports allows you to fight your own mom and play in every game the following year. NFL's Dez Bryant.