1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Miami Herald] Some sensible trades can be worked out;Swift for Watson???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowaming, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiheral...htm?source=rss&channel=miamiherald_basketball

on Sun, Feb. 05, 2006

ON THE NBASome sensible trades can be worked outBy ISRAEL GUTIERREZigutierrez@MiamiHerald.com

When the Feb. 23 trade deadline passes, there will be a handful of trades made that seem to make no sense.
    Already, not many are sure what the Celtics were thinking in acquiring Wally Szczerbiak (unless, of course, there's a bigger trade on the way that includes Paul Pierce), and the Knicks might have locked up the biggest puzzler when they acquired Jalen Rose and his $17 million salary next season.
    If those trades can actually be made, then maybe some of these more sensible moves could happen in the next 18 days.
    • Hawks' Al Harrington to Bulls for Ben Gordon and Eric Piatkowski.
    The Bulls have been all over the place with their usage of Gordon, who is clearly good enough to be a starter and should be developed as one.
    Atlanta has already learned that Joe Johnson, while talented enough to be built around, isn't a point guard.
    Even though Gordon is not the prototypical point either, he has the size and ball-handling skill of a point guard and can create the big shot when necessary.
    The Bulls, meanwhile, get a consistent, physical forward in Harrington, who is in the final year of his contract. If he stabilizes an ever-changing Bulls frontcourt, Chicago can look to re-sign Harrington.
    If he just becomes one of the interchangeable parts, then the Bulls can allow him to sign elsewhere and be even further under the salary cap next offseason and have their pick of the prime free agents.
    • Knicks' Jamal Crawford and David Lee to Bobcats for Brevin Knight and Melvin Ely.
    With Rose now in the fold in New York, there is even less need for a gunning shooting guard like Crawford. And Knight is just the type of point guard Larry Brown can work with, which would also allow Stephon Marbury to move to shooting guard. Ely is also a big, steady power forward who can score in the post when needed.
    The Bobcats, meanwhile, get a player in Crawford who wants to shoot, which won't really get in the way of any current Bobcats, who don't mind playing off the ball. Plus, the Bobcats can afford to take on a big salary because they are so comfortably under the cap. And Lee gives them another young, versatile player.
    • Cavaliers' Damon Jones to Heat for Michael Doleac and Jason Kapono.
    Call this the They Can Come Home Again trade. Both Doleac and Kapono have played for the Cavs, and Jones was a huge part of the Heat's success last season.
    The Heat obviously needs another point guard because of Jason Williams' injury concerns, and Jones wouldn't necessarily be relegated to third point guard status, either.
    Gary Payton can and has played the shooting guard position a lot, which would free up minutes at point for Jones.
    Pat Riley didn't want to pay a reserve point guard $3.6 million, but he might reconsider if it means having a security blanket like Jones.
    The Cavs need a big man (wasn't that Drew Gooden guarding Shaquille O'Neal on Thursday?), and they have already been floating Jones' name around in trades since Larry Hughes went down.
    If that doesn't work, the Heat could try to pry Kevin Ollie from Philadelphia for point guard help.
    [B]• Nuggets' Earl Watson to Rockets for Stromile Swift.
    The free agent busts swap places. Watson hasn't found a place in Denver because there never was any place for him to begin with. And the Nuggets need some assistance in the frontcourt with Nene out for the season, Marcus Camby always fragile and Kenyon Martin playing through a handful of injuries.
    The Rockets could use support at both guard positions, but more importantly they need to get someone of value in return for Swift, who has been a huge disappointment.[/B]
    • Suns' Jim Jackson to Clippers for Chris Wilcox.
    It might not be wise of the Clippers to trade an athletic big man to a Suns team who is missing only an athletic big man (who knows if Amare Stoudemire will return healthy this season), but the team has been considering trading Wilcox for some time.
    And although players like Quinton Ross and James Singleton have filled in nicely this season, the Clippers can use a proven veteran like Jim Jackson come the postseason.
    The Suns haven't utilized Jackson much this season, and they could use some insurance in case Stoudemire doesn't return in proper playing condition.
    email thisprint this

2. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

3. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

I thought he said he was going to list some "reasonable" trades. Alot of that was flat out stupid. Some made less sense than the ones he bashed. :D

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Bulls laugh at the Hawks
    Bobcats laugh at the Knicks
    Rockets laugh slightly at the Nuggets
    Clippers laugh at the Suns

We laugh at this author. "Sensible trades"? I have seen better trades on RealGM.

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Denver needs Swift more then we need Watson. No thank you.

6. stro4swift

stro4swift Contributing Member

what about moochie and swift for watson and nene??

7. xishi

xishi Member

we have rafer!!!!

:mad:

8. aexchange

aexchange Member

watson is a much better fit for houston than alston is. a superior defender, passer, and all around player. alston may be flashier at the end of the day, but isnt 1/2 the player that watson is. watson would personify would JVG wants out of the PG spot at the end of the day.

9. dafatha00

dafatha00 Contributing Member

Watson is a mediocre point guard. I can't see him being an improvement over Alston. Personally, I would wait to trade Swift as his value can't get much lower than it already is.

10. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I would agree but not go as far as you. Watson, in the last few weeks, has proven to be a damn good PG and he fits perfectly into what JVG wants from the position. I think Rafer is the starter but Watson would be a great guy off the bench to spell him at the point or even playing SG as well. I used to think about Watson like some in this thread do But, I watched a couple of Denver's games recently, and the man can ball. He pushes the ball any time he can, plays good individual defense, gets others involved on offense, and hits at nearly 40% from 3.

That all being said, I don't think Denver would do that and (if the Rockets would do that deal) they better have another small deal to get another big body that can play center.

11. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Har. Why the hell would Chicago trade Ben Gordon for Al Harrington. I can't take the rest of the article seriously after that one.

12. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

now i'd trade swift for harrington, as long as we could resign him.

13. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Word.

14. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

there is nothing "sensible" about any of those trades. jim jackson for wilcox? i don't care how the clips are utilizing him you don't trade a young big for jax.

15. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

and this moron is trying to convince us to believe Larry Brown would start a backcourt of Brevin Knight(5'11) and S. Marbury(6'2). and why the hell would Knicks trade Crawford for Ely when they already have Eddy Curry, Channing Frye, Jerome James, Mo Taylor, David Lee, and Malik Rose on board? :confused:

16. MykTek

MykTek Member

i know ppl will hate this, but i wonder if we can pull a 3 way w/ denver and orlando and bring stevie home....i know he has an attitude and baggage....but he would be a nice 2 guard... but prob will cost us atleast swift and a 1st.....but i like that lineup eventhough it will make our defense alittle weak block shots wise....

alston
    francis
    mcgrady
    howard
    yao

17. kublick

kublick Contributing Member

No West gives up anymore thk

18. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

Man, I could definitely go for that! Then I'd have my two favorite players on the same team--TMac and Francis!!!

19. Asian Sensation

AT the very LEAST it would cost us Swift and a 1st. That's not much though, Id even throw in Head or Alston if it could mean getting Stevie home.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

Have you checked his contract? Les made him a max-contract player.