1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Melancon to Red Sox for Jed Lowrie, Kyle Weiland

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Cat, Dec 14, 2011.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Hard to take Baseball America seriously when they say we are looking for a Catcher to replace the injured Jason Castro. He should be back by opening day, and they already re-signed Humberto Quintero. I really can't imagine them making another move for catcher, unless they aren't sold on Castro long-term.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Castro probably won't be back. He had foot surgery, and will probably be delayed in his return.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111212&content_id=26151910&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm aware of his foot surgery, but all reports have him being back by mid March. It is possible after a long layoff that they give him some extra time in extended spring training, but you don't need a very temporary replacement on a bad team.

4. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Don't like to lose Melancon, I thought he could be the Stros closer for the next 5+ years. I guess that slot isn't important right now since the team most likely won't be winning very many games. Hopefully Lowrie can stay healthy and Weiland realizes his potential.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I agree, I don't think it's anything to be overly concerned about. Kepp had the same procedure last year. But, that could be what BA was referring to when they said we needed to find a replacement......

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Wow, a good trade that actually makes sense for the Astros!

As long as Stern doesn't veto it, we should be set this year at SS.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He might because in an odd way there's a Kyle Lowr(y)ie involved even if it takes two to make it.

8. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Love the players we got for Melancon but love the mindset even more. This deal is very proactive instead of reactive. Wade's biggest issue was he never thought ahead, this is a classic sell high/buy low deal.

9. Mr. Clutch

Exactly! Do it before we're scrambling at the last second for a shortstop.

10. Mr. Clutch

Thank goodness for Astros new management.

The NBA is unwatchable now, but the Astros are gonna be fun.

When does baseball season start?

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

lol baseball is okay but basketball and the nba will forever be >>> baseball and the mlb

12. Mr. Clutch

Not after what Stern pulled.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The actions of one man will never deter me from my love of basketball an the rockets.

14. Mr. Clutch

Basketball and Rockets are one thing.

NBA is another.

15. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Amen. Look at how much the game has changed since the 90's (that's when I first started watching as a kid so I can't comment on previous time periods), when men played and bigs like Hakeem dominated the game. Guys were physical, there were players whose role was to actually be an "enforcer", and the refs let the players play. Now, you can't lay a finger on anybody especially if it's a superstar, then you can't even breathe on them. It's pretty much a free throw contest. The Thunder were taking it from behind from the refs during their series against the Mavs. If a defender so much as laid his hand on Dirk's back it was a foul. Players put emphasis on flopping to gain advantages, to the point where players stop playing to play the game but play to gain calls from officials who obliged all too often. Basketball was the first sport I started following and the only sport I played competitively growing up. But the NBA has taken a back seat because of how ridiculous the game is now.

Now back to the trade, at first when I saw we traded Melancon I had a "WTF" reaction but I felt he was a young piece we could use as part of our foundation. I've heard of Jed Lowrie before but never really followed him. After reading reactions from both sides, it seems like we got a good deal. Red Sox fans aren't too happy about this one

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Not saying I wouldn't rather have the nba return to the old 90s but even in its current form it's the sport and league that I watch and dedicated the most time to because I enjoy it the most, and I follow all of them, Football; baseball, soccer.

17. xAliceInChains

This first move gives me a lot of confidence, this is a great move, not a big move but a very good move.

18. msn

msn Member

of course I know I'm in the minority, but for me baseball >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> basketball, and every other sport, combined.

baseball is my "sports" first love. the greatest game on the planet. I've resorted more to college and little league lately, because mlb is screwing up the game almost as badly as the NBA is with basketball.

Selig and Stern. What a couple doofus idiots.

19. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Astros getting alot of love from FanGraphs and some of the better baseball writers around on this trade. Feels really good.

FanGraphs:
    A healthy Lowrie will make this look like a steal for Houston three years down the road, but we haven’t seen a healthy Lowrie all too often. It’s entirely possible that Weiland will outproduce Melancon next season by himself, but contenders often have to overpay a bit to deal with their pressing needs.

AND PETER GAMMONS LOVE

Peter Gammons tweets that CEO George Postolos has re-energized the entire Astros organization, and he was blown away by Luhnow powerpoint. It's a long,long climb, but it's begun

20. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

Great, now all 3 teams are injury proned!