1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marc Gasol to Raptors

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zeeshan2, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

You misread the tweet. It's not talking about the teams LeBron has been on.

imo, the best team LeBron beat in the East is either the 60 win ATL team or the IND team with PG13 and Hibbert.

hakeem94 and malakas like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, his former Club was named Vancouver Grizzlies once, Vancouver is the other big city in Canada.

Now in Toronto.
    [​IMG]

#62 daywalker02, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    hakeem94 likes this.
  3. what

what Member

You definitely could be right. The grizzlies main objective was to NOT take on a lot of salary and have financial flexibility, while at the same time staying just competitive enough to render their obligation to Boston THIS year.

The grizzlies upgraded their backup point guard spot, they got younger and they didn't have to take on a lot of salary. They could have taken a deal with Charlotte for a couple of nice picks, including a first rounder this year, but they would have taken more salary in the deal and balked at it.

Toronto is in win now mode and Marc is vastly better than anybody they gave to Memphis, so they are going to be major players in the east. I honestly don't see any team that can beat them in the east right now. Gasol is better than people seem to think.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

I disagree this is a bad move Gasol is old and washed up I mean he couldnt even keep Memphis afloat anymore.

Raps have turned into a mess theyre gonna be full of old dudes when Kawhi oeaves this summer to NYC or Clippers or Lakers or Boston. Plenty of teams have 2 max contract capspace he won't settle ib freaking Canada when he can go to Glamor team.

5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I think Gasol is enough to give the Raptors a shot against the Warriors. Not win, but have tough series. For some reason, Kawhi gives them problems. They've got good defenders, everywhere. And, Gasol is the piece that can counter Cousins. Even without Gasol, Toronto can still very effectively go small.

It pushes them, ahead of Boston and Milwaukee.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I disagree, Gasol is washed up as a player. He has no hands anymore

roslolian likes this.
  7. Juxtaposed Jolt

imo, the posters dismissing Gasol aren't seeing the bigger picture.

Gasol is moving from a team in which he was option 1b, to a team where he's the 3rd option, on a good day. Instead of only having Conley to take the burden, Gasol now has Kawhi, Lowry, Ibaka and a bunch of young stars in the making, in Anunoby, Siakam and Van Vleet. On top of all that, Nurse has pretty much kept the same system that Casey kept, when Toronto remained at / near the top of the East.

Obviously, Gasol isn't the same player he once was. But I think he's going to help them more than JV/Wright/Miles/pick could have.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Is it just me or does it seem like the east knows it has a chance since Lebron went west?

Where my tin foil hat is....

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. malakas

malakas Member

Gasol is a bad matchup with Horford and Lopez/Mirotic. He is only good matchup against Embiid.

10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Eastern teams should've decided to tool up and really challenge LeBron's teams then, instead of waiting until he left. That's on them.

ramotadab, roslolian and arabrocket like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hmmmm it makes a lot of sense

farhen likes this.
  12. what

what Member

Gasol has never beaten horford, so I am impressed with your knowledge of marc, but we all know that horford is a playoff choker. Mirotic isn't no problem for marc however.

malakas likes this.
  13. Juxtaposed Jolt

I feel like this is another poster that misread the tweet.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

Mirotic and Horford can both stretch the floor, limiting Gasol's defensive capabilities. Honestly, I'm more afraid of Mirotic's offense than Horford's offense.

malakas likes this.
  15. what

what Member

If you lived in Memphis and watched horford own marc time after time, you wouldn't. Horford owns marc like no other.

malakas and daywalker02 like this.
  16. malakas

malakas Member

Lol lets be honest I had no clue. I only said this from a general matchup viewpoint.
    Every time the Bucks played the Raptors this year, Ibaka went off because Lopez cant go out in the perimeter to guard him.
    If the Raptors instead put Marc in, even though he is a much better player, now HE wont be able to guard Lopez in the perimeter.

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Raptors had an age crunch coming and they made it worse. In two to three years, I'm guessing Toronto fans are really regretting this.

Its going to be like coming back from Vegas to look at the hole in your bank account, with nothing but some not terribly special memories to show for it.

18. dmoneybangbang

They may regret it next year if Kawhi leaves. Toronto probably gambled more so than Philly due to where these respective teams are in their development.

malakas likes this.
  19. malakas

malakas Member

no matter if they fail, they can't fail that bad. They will never become a deadend team like the Suns, the Bulls or the Magic.
    Because they will have Uijiri. Once you have a top 5 GM like him, no matter what you will find your way.
    Even though their owners are problematic, at least they are not big meddlers.

Plus this has all been Colangelo's core. Masai has never had the opportunity to fully rebuild his own team.

ramotadab likes this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

He can help the Raps obv I mean Jonas V was injured so a healthy Gasol is better than injured Jonas V but the problem is I dont think it puts them over Philly or even Milwaukee.

Philly has a lot of redundant pieces but they also have a ton of star power with Simmons, butler, Harris and Embiid. They just make Simmons the PG and voila thats 4 wings at 4 positions+Embiid that is just insane I doubt anybody except Kawhi will be able to score in that lineup.

Bucks have less star power but their coach is awesome and their pieces fit together like a well oiled machine. Still think the ECF will be between Philly and Milwaukee and Kawhi will go to another team with 2 max capspace.