1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Making my own pizza today...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Blatz, Aug 21, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I decided I was going to have pizza today and try to make it myself on the grill. I was thinking a buffalo shrimp with spinach and gorgonzola cheese . I'm thinking the hot sauce and butter should be fine for the sauce.

Anything I should add? Mozzarella, celery maybe? This is the first time I'm making this and I'm just going with whatever comes to mind.

What are some of your favorite ways to make a pizza?

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

use san marzano tomatoes. They taste so good.

3. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Hot sauce and butter? Reminds me of sketti.

[​IMG]

4. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

LOL Who the hell is that?

Will check out the san marzano tomatoes

5. da1

da1 Member

I buy my sauce from Fabio's on alabama and shepherd and mozarella cheese from houston dairy maids on airline and cavalcade. The dough I make myself from Antimo Caputo Tipo 00 flour which I've only found at central market with a 2/3 flour to water ratio and yeast. Basil I grow in my backyard, I got the genovese basil plant at Wabash on washington. Also I put some oregano and olive oil. Olive oil I buy from central market, the italy one, that has the DOP stamp.

As far as making it after the dough sits a few hours, you roll it out, put it on a cast iron griddle on the stove, I got one for $14 at academy. Put the dough on there first, then olive oil, then sauce, then cheese, then basil. Oregano you can put before or after doesn't matter. Put it on the top rack of your oven just under the broiler, and it cooks in about 5 minutes. Once the cheese starts to brown you have to look carefully because you don't want it to burn, but don't want the dough to be raw either. Once the dough looks done on the sides pull it up and cook the bottom some more if you need to one the stove.

1 person likes this.
  6. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

I'm a pizza minimalist. Other than fresh mozzeralla, a good sauce and a tasty crust I usually only add one or two toppings. Onions or olives, preferably green.

San Marzano tomatoes are sweeter than stripper t*tties...

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/S5qUMK-TzOg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Artichoke hearts and sun dried tomatoes FTW

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Whatever happened to a good ole fashioned cheesy pepperoni pizza? Geeeeeeeeeeeez.

10. what

what Member

the biggest problem with homemade pizza is the sauce. I never could figure out how to get deep flavor from the tomatoes alone.

Maybe somebody have figured this out or is it just tomato paste

11. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I can make a good pie, classic style. If you want I can show you my way. I broke the lock on my oven so I can cook it on the cleaning cycle. Takes about 90 seconds to completely cook.

For sauce I buy whole peeled san marzanos. Go to central market, they have a good selection and make sure the can has the D.O.P. seal. Some are a "brand" or "san marzano style" so the seal will assure they are not. Take the tomatoes out of the can, remove as many seeds as you can and discard. Run the tomatoes through a food mill and add to the juice in the can. Add a pinch or 2 of salt and you are good to go.

12. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

[​IMG]

For street cred...

13. Asian Sensation

Celery on pizza? Hmm doesn't sound to appetizing.

14. Asian Sensation

In before What says chrispbrown is about to show the world he's on Papa John's level.

1 person likes this.
  15. Illegal Machine

Papa Murphy's > *

16. CCorn

CCorn Member

Grab some San marzanos, a small thing of basil, and some corto olive oil.

Then say **** it and go to Antonio's in deer park.

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

My body is ready.

18. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

LMFAO! The first time I ever watched that show, she was making the sketti. I kinda wanted to puke, but at the same time I was so shocked and apalled by the nastiness of sketti that I thought it had to be fake.

19. what

what Member

buying can tomatoes for the sauce is not what I had in mind. But cooking fresh tomato sauce takes a lot of time is the problem.

20. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

No need to cook, just put right on the piZa