1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Make the playoffs, don't tank

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wizkid83, Mar 22, 2012.

1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

What's the point of tanking? I know everyone says we need a Franchise player to win the championship, but how many true Franchise come out every year from the top 5 picks?

I'm talking about players that can actually change the energy of the franchise and make you believe they can contend if they build around that guy. Let's look at the last few years:

2011: Kyle Irving (1st pick) is the only one that looks to have potential but is still to early to tell
    2010: None (John Wall is likely at best an all star at some point)
    2009: Blake Griffin is borderline
    2008: Derrick Rose - Franchise Player
    2007: Kevin Durant - Franchise Player
    2006: None
    2005: DWill, CP3 - Franchise Player
    2004: DH12 - Franchise Player
    2003: Lebron, Dwade Franchise Player and borderline Carmelo Anthony
    2002: Yao Ming - Franchise Player

So in the last 10 drafts, with 50 top 5 picks, we're looking at Eight to Ten true Franchise players. That means it's actually likely that if you're building to tank, you can tank for 10 years straight and not draft a real Franchise player. Tanking does not get you a Franchise player, luck does.

What a lot of time you'll get if you're still some what lucky is an all-star level player like Lamarcus Aldridge, Russell Westbrook or Chris Bosh and you become a playoff team like .. well what the Rockets are right now. If you have decent luck, you draft a rotation player like Al Hortford or O.J. Mayo (like Rockets actually consistently get with low first round, early second round). If you have bad luck, you draft Hasheem Thabeet.

Once again, tanking does not get you a Franchise player, odds that you actually tank for 10 years and never get a Franchise player are not low. Most teams aren't going to tank for 10 years, and will end up drafting an all star player at some point, and become a playoff contending team like the Rockets are right now.

So what if we get really lucky and draft a Franchise player by tanking? of the past 10 drafts, only Wade, DH12, Rose and KD are still with the teams that drafted them. Only Wade and DH12 have been with their team for more than 6 years. Most of the time, players leave and the teams revert to "tanking" or if lucky.... a playoff contender like the Rockets.

#1 wizkid83, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    2 people like this.
  2. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

play to win

3. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

You should definitely change the wording of that because your examples defeated your stance.

4. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

A much better way to look at that list is to look at the best teams in the league right now. The top 5 team records in the league are Chicago, OKC, Miami, San Antonio and Orlando. It's not a guarantee but there is a real good chance that one of those teams will win the championship this year. Four out of the five of those teams have one of the players on your list and the only exception is the Spurs who have the number one draft pick from 1997. Further, all five of the teams still have that superstar left on their team. People arguing that tanking doesn't guarantee you a championship are missing the point.

5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I agree with you, Op... The draft is a crapshoot at best and if yer not in the top 3 your chances get ridiculously thin... That said, you'll never convince the pro tankers on this board that its fool's gold.... They only remember the Durants, Roses, and LeBrons... and never believe they could be Darko'ed or Tha'busted as payment for years of dismal teams.... ;)

6. Burko

Burko Member

If you tank long enough you'll get an All-Star level player..... For a couple of years before they want to move to a bigger market.

Play to Win always.

7. lean

lean Member

Definitely agree.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IMk5sMHj58I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Detroit proved you don't need to tank to win the championship, or heck, to even stay competitive for as long as they did. They went to the finals twice, and the eastern conference finals 4 times. No superstar.

That said, tanking IS one way to do it of course, but just like some fans here don't like to sit through mediocrity, some of us don't like to sit through games where the goal is to lose.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No superstar but 4 allstars and a borderline one. :eek:

10. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

None of them were all stars when they got to Detroit. They earned those honors by playing well as a team.

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

kyrie irving and derrick rose didn't go to teams that tanked (or at least didn't tank for the pick), one was for taking on baron's contract, lol, the other was just luck with the lottery.

Then you go back and you see a lot of players who aren't with their team anymore.

12. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Richard Hamilton was pretty good when they traded for him. They gave up Stackhouse after a down year for him but Stack had made the all star team the two years prior.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Shame that the older Pistons like Grant Hill or JStackhouse didn't get a ring.

14. chapinha_br

chapinha_br Member

15. conquistador#11

lol at dwill being a franchise player. If i wanted to tank, that would be my ' franchise player'.

too late to tank, time to bring in the air raids.

16. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

82 games in a season, If I ever watch Rockets tank, it will be a long time before I come back and watch. Don't give me we tanked and we got Hakeem, remember we have a lottery system now a little harder to tank than before. Free-agency is more viable to find a franchise player than through the draft.

17. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

well now its too late anyway. i predict with the way the team currently looks we will are 6-12 in the western conference for multiple years. I havent seen any recent evidence of us acquiring a franchise player other than through the draft. wait. i forgot we got ariza.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

To the mediocritymobile!!!!!

19. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

good thing the giants didn't cave in and tank for a better draft pick last year. i know, i know, apples and oranges. remember the two boston championship series we participated in with mediocre teams? remember? man up.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm assuming you don't mean 1986...nothing mediocre about that squad.