1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lebron "irked" about MVP candidates

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Os Trigonum, May 20, 2017.

1. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Taking it easy compared to the other MVP candidates is what I meant. Some of these lebronless games he wasn't the only one resting either

francis 4 prez likes this.
  2. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Exactly

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

MVP is a regular season award. Lebron has not been MVP for a while.

He is surely the best player in the league though, by a LONG mile.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Why? Because he couldn't even win the crappy conference (your words). He 'only' sat out 8 games? Is that a joke? If you're healthy and your team loses, you contributed to the loss. LBJ is mainly responsible for those 8 losses, because he was healthy and his team lost. He was healthy all year and they couldn't win the sorry East. That's not MVP level performance.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  5. Juxtaposed Jolt

We can talk in "what-ifs" all day long, but let's not pretend that the Cavs couldn't have won the East if they tried. And I'm a bit confused as to how you're gauging who the MVP is. The only thing I have to go on is that you think the MVP should come from a conference winner, since that's what you're harping on.

If it's a conference winner, the MVP should between Durant, Curry or IT, then.

6. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I understand why Lebron is upset to some extent, but I also understand why he was "snubbed". No matter which one of those four were left off, they would have good reason to be peeved... of course Lebron is now gonna be the only one of the four in the finals.

Still, it's a regular season award, and the Cavs seriously underachieved in the regular season, and part of it was cuz of the 10 games or whatever that Lebron took off for rest. (I have no problem with him resting those games, BTW, but it is gonna hurt his MVP chances).

But really I think the guy who shoulda been left out was Westbrick. Most overrated season in recent memory...

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I'm commenting on LBJ being 'irked'. He has no reason to be irked when as a defending champ, he couldn't win his own conference and 6 teams had as good or better records than him. The MVP doesn't need to be a conference winner, but it shouldn't be an underachiever either. Not trying (again your words) = no MVP. For me it should be either Harden or Leonard.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I wish they just stopped having these regular season awards already. Meaningless recognition of individuals in a TEAM sport. The lack of definition for the awards makes it even worse. Now the players are b****ing over it. Fans are b****ing over it. Media are b****ing over it. For what?

9. lionaire

lionaire Member

Has everyone suddenly forgotten that MVP is a reg season award or what?

Pen15clubber likes this.
  10. Caesar

Caesar Member

How many of those games did Kyrie or Love or both also sit out? Just curious.

Pen15clubber and Tha_Dude like this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Without LeBron
    (Season - LeBron # GP - Record without him)
    14-15: 69 games: 3-10
    15-16: 76 games: 1-5
    16-17: 74 games: 0-8

Didn't check the other two seasons but for 2016-17

L by 10 to @ Indiana; LeBron, J.R. Smith, Mike Dunleavy & Mo Williams DNP; Rakeem Christmas & Rodney Stuckey DNP; 2nd night of B2B

L by 8 to @ Memphis; LeBron, Kevin Love, Kyrie Irving & Mo Williams DNP; Mike Conley, Chandler Parsons & Brandan Wright DNP; 2nd night of B2B

L by 16 to @ Detroit; LeBron, J.R. Smith, Chris Andersen & Mo Williams DNP; Beno Udrih, Reggie Bullock & Boban Marjanovic DNP; 2nd night of B2B

L by 18 to Chicago; LeBron, Kevin Love, J.R. Smith & Jordan McRae DNP; Isaian Canaan, Anthony Morrow, Michael Carter-Williams & Paul Zipser DNP

L by 28 to @ Miami; LeBron, Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love, J.R. Smith, Andrew Bogut & Kay Felder DNP; Udonis Haslem, Chris Bosh, Josh McRoberts & Justise Winslow DNP; 2nd night of B2B

L by 30 to @ LA Clippers; LeBron, Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love, Kyle Korver & Larry Sanders DNP; Alan Anderson, Brice Johnson & Diamond Stone DNP; 1st night of B2B

L by 3 to @ Miami; LeBron, Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson & James Jones DNP; Dion Waiters, Udonis Haslem, Josh McRoberts, Luke Babbitt, Chris Bosh & Justise Winslow DNP; 2nd night of B2B

L by 15 to Toronto; LeBron, Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love & Kay Felder DNP; DeMar DeRozan & Serge Ibaka DNP

13. blackistan

blackistan Member

MJ didnt win the award every year, neither did Kobe, Shaq etc. No need to be salty Lebron other guys just had better regular seasons.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

"irked" was a BSPN article taken out of context.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ebron-james-irked-not-being-mvp-finalist-list

That's literally the only thing that ESPN said about LeBron's feelings; no direct quotes, nothing about being irked about not being MVP . Just ESPN inserting anecdotal evidence saying that LeBron voiced frustration with Cleveland reporters over not even being considered for MVP. And why wouldn't he be? To not even place in the top 3? Come on.

I'm not sure why you keep quoting me as you're quoting me but ok. You do you lmao

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Something to talk about. Also, it gives players incentive to work for awards, as in the case of Paul George and Gordon Hayward who lost out on lots of money due to not being labeled as one of the top 15 players in the NBA.*

*I know making an All-NBA team isn't necessarily an award, but you can buy and engrave your own trophy with the money gotten from making an All-NBA team lmaoo

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

"Irked" was the NBA.com Morning Shootaround headline title

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/05/20/morning-shootaround-may-20-2017

Morning Shootaround (May 20) -- Irked LeBron James takes MVP snub in stride
    Plus, San Antonio Spurs' season could hinge on Kawhi Leonard's ankle heading into pivotal Game 3
    NBA.com Staff

May 20, 2017 9:33 AM ET

[​IMG]
    For the first time since 2008, LeBron James will finish outside of the top three in MVP voting.

Irked LeBron takes MVP snub in stride | Warriors' special traits go beyond stars and style | Leonard's ankle remains biggest Game 3 question for Spurs | Celtics facing humiliating end to banner season

No. 1:Irked LeBron takes MVP snub in stride -- The disrespect is real. LeBron James, not one of the three finalists for KIA MVP? It's real. And the man who is well on the way to leading his team to The Finals for the seventh straight season let it be known that he doesn't appreciate the shade and that he, and the rest of the basketball world know that he isn't fourth (behind finalists James Harden, Russell Westbrook and Kawhi Leonard) on anyone's list. Just ask the Boston Celtics, who felt his wrath Friday night in yet another blowout loss for the Cavaliers. Dave McMenamin of ESPN has more:​

more at the link which was included in the OP

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What about defense?

19. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I'm confused, isn't "irked" the opposite of taking something in stride?