1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LeBron can't win it alone? Neither could MJ, Bird or Magic

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Octavianus, Jul 29, 2010.

1. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

thanks. kobe is even more of a douche than i took him for. all this lebron crap put kobe blinders on me. kobe is a dam hypocrite. he works hard though and has some redeeming qualities but still a douche. lbj is still king douche.

2. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

Didn't Hakeem win it by himself w/o another superstar in 94?

3. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Yes and Orlando got their butts kicked by the Lakers, this year by a healthy Celts Big 3. They only real 1 man show to win in recent memory was Houston in 93 (where we were outclassed in most positions outside of C), and the closest next were SA#2 & Miami. That is over like a 30 year span, 3 times. Lebron in Cleve would have been fortunate to win once, maybe twice, and just as likely zero (see Malone, Barkley, Stockton, Nash, and on and on).

Actually no. The douchey thing was leaving Cleveland on a TV special. The really douchey move would have been to go to NY/NJ, because then it would show he care more about clothes than basketball.

But taking less money to go play ball with other great TEAM basketball players, that is for the love of playing the game at the highest level and winning as many games as possible.

The Lakers situation is worse because one team, with a Laker connection in the brass no less, gave away an all-star in a desperate position need of theirs for cheap. 3 free agents deciding to make less money to play with each other despite overtures from many other teams in a free market--nothing fishy ethics wise.

I just don't get this tone. I know when I play a team sport I want to play with guys who play team ball, who are fun, who play smart together. If they are very good & we kill opponents, even better. I see that with these 3. They took less money and lots of crud to play with who they have fun playing with, and it so happens they will probably kill opponents in the process. Is greatness what America and sport is about. Don't we celebrate Dream Team 1.

I think most of the criticism is more a jilted lover argument, or just inside being envious or scared of them. I like what happened this offseason because if nothing else, it is going to show what a thin grip the Lakers have and Kobe will quickly be a has been. And we are going to see what great team basketball players can do.

Also, I was happy when Mo Malone went to Phily, and kicked both the Celts and Lakers asses. That was great and allowed Mo and Dr. J and others to get the recognition and career accomplishment they deserved. (Mostly, Mo Malone is still probably underrated)

I was happy with the Barkley move to Houston because I thought we would have ammo to beat the Sonics (hated those illegal D playing punk as*es) & maybe the Bulls (if only we were as schrewd as Riley in getting accompanying pieces--particularly a freaken NBA level point guard).

Finally, folks may have hated them, but everyone respects dominance on the field or court--even some under slimy pretenses. 60s Celts (bribe to get Russell), Yankees (open checkbook), 70s Stealers (dirty playing as*es), Jordan's Bulls (escalated trash talking to new heights and where special star treatment went to new heights) & 90s Boys (OK, finally some all American good guys). If this Miami team lives up to potential, one or more 70+ wins seasons, multiple championships--we will all say we watched. And whether we grow to like them, hate them, or the few indifferent to them-- this weird summer where all turned on Lebron (not that Cleve folks don't have a beef) is where it was born.

4. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

i dont really care to see this big 3 play together. i dont care if they go undefeated and i "live to see it". there's very little that is amazing about this team other than the fact that Pat Riley and Dwade convinced the biggest FAs to sign with Miami. Melo, Paul, and Amare in NY is something that would be exciting to watch.

if they came to houston, i would definitely have no beef with it and feel like i'm going to experience smthg special but theyre not here.

but ur right about one thing. it WILL be fun watching teams beat Miami. I hope they have great regular season records i really do. because i look forward to watching them get knocked out of the playoffs. is it likely that they will? no. but i DO look forward to it happening.

5. Steve_Francis_rules

What would be so different about Melo, Paul, and Amare in NY? I would say that there's very little amazing about that other than the fact that three players decided they wanted to play together in the country's biggest market.

6. Steve_Francis_rules

Lebron James is a two-time first team All-Defense player.

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

He's pretty much the only superstar to carry a team solo in which I can remember. I also remember him almost forcing a trade in 1991 or something like that.

8. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

That's how unlikely it is to happen. Hakeem was one of the best players in history and was only able to win it once by himself. If Hakeem had more help like Jordan and Magic did, he would have had at least 4 championships.

9. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

Lmao, I imagine Wade, James, and Bosh will have a field day with every defense in the league, lmao. :rolleyes:

10. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

Hakeem had a team similar to D Howards magic. A dominanant c who could kick it out to a bunch of sharp shooters if the defense collapsed on him, a great team model, which took howard past the cavs weak supporting cast to the finals, except Dream was able to go all the way because he was twice the center howard is.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Celebrated yes because they were American, like Miami will celebrate the Heat. But as an accomplishment it wasn't that impressive. Everyone knew what was going to happen. Had they lost it would have been a colossal failure, just like it will be if the Heat don't win a championship every year.

Great comparison Scar. Barkley elbowing that little 5-ft Angola guy is exactly what this is like actually. That was what sports should be about and what the Heat are now about.

12. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

I am tired of this superstar count stuff. A back court of (peak form) Manu + Parker is just as good as any superstar wing + Alston.