1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Las Vegas Summer League] Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SK34, Jun 26, 2016.

1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

That kid that played last year, the kind of unathletic kid with a great feel for the game and a scoring knack, didn't he play in China last year? Will he be back?

2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Alan Williams is who you are thinking of. The Rockets should have kept him. He'll be at Summer League for Phoenix.

For what it's worth, he averaged 20.8 points, 15.4 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 1.3 steals and 1.6 blocks a game in China. He played for Phoenix towards the end of last year and is signed to them so that ship has sailed unfortunately. I really like his game.

3. eman

eman Contributing Member

Good for Bigger Alan Williams. I hope he plays for us some day, and retires a Rocket. A flat-out rebounding machine our bricklayers surely could use.

4. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

@AlexKennedyNBA: Chris Walker will play for the Houston Rockets' Summer League team.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

If signing Vipers, why not Putney???

6. RocketsFan0

RocketsFan0 Member

Seriously... why didn't Morey picky up Jarrod or cat barber. Better options than Payton 2

7. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Undrafted free agents essentially get to choose the team they play for. So its more like, why didn't Jarrod or Cat Barber pick the Rockets?

There were a couple sites talking about how Jarrod Uthoff turned down 2nd round draft offers so he could pick the team he wanted to play for.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Any chance we can sticky this thread and update all summer league related activities/news for fans who still care?

Pretty please? :grin:

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

fwiw...

I live in Vegas and have been doing summer league since Dwight was a rookie...

It's still a good time and good value for the dollar, but it's not nearly as cool as it used to be....

When i started they only used the smaller gym and not the much larger Thomas & Mack - now they use both simultaneously...

It used to be more like team scrimmages and a small group of fans got to go watch... Everybody used to sit together in the stands - players, GMs, coaches, fans... I used to walk up and talk to guys like Elgin Baylor, JVG (talked to him when we were trying to re-sign Mike James -lol), Chris Mullin, Danny Ainge, McHale, Chris Paul as a rookie, etc... scored tons of autos over the years...

Then it started getting larger and so they got a little tighter and they reserved sections for just the team personnel... but people would still walk around and sometimes people would still sit out in the stands... like when I met Adelman, he was just chillin in the stands in the larger gym with a few guys....

My favorite story was from Morey's first year with us... I was cheering on the Rockets (rather vocally - lol) and after the game Morey actually walked up to me and thanked me for the support and shook my hand... which I thought that was insanely cool of him.

Amare stared me down one year (when he was playing during his rehab) cause I asked him for an auto - while decked out in my Rockets gear - lol! Just stared at me, looked down at my jersey and turned and walked away - lol..

Now it's a much larger to do... not nearly as many opportunities to talk to people - because anybody well known would just get mobbed... but still a lot of fun.

If the Rox are scheduled to play and you go to that court, while the previous game is still going and wait for that one to end, you can usually get a seat a couple rows off the court... so you can still get nice and close for the action... it's all general admission - unless you pay for courtside...

Usual concessions are available... there is a smoking section you can step out to and pop back in... they do sell programs - so you can get them autographed if you get lucky enough to run into somebody and usually a couple rooks may have signing sessions...

Overall a good time for hardcore fans... :)

#29 kjayp, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    2 people like this.
  10. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

You should ask the 76ers fans the same questions.

Sometime you hope your team to sink further because you are hoping for a better tomorrow than this current sorry ass state.

11. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

He retired and currently in Trump's camp to assist him to run for the president.

12. The_Pants_Store

+1

I agree. This cat should be in serious consideration for the 2016-17 team IMO. He's a twig, a freakin lengthy twig, but he can light it up and play a little D when you need it. I thought he was a terrific find, but I think he could be a solid role player for the Rockets.

13. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

Zhou Qi won't play in the summer league. He will be preparing for the Olympics.

14. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Have we filled out our summer league roster yet?

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'm still holding out hope that he's offered a non guaranteed at least. Putney is a great weakside rim protector. And he's stronger than he looks defending the low post.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think Yao played in summer league either.

17. hvic

hvic Member

Yao never did. He dedicated his summers for China

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Putney didn't end the season on a good note for the Vipers with that drug suspension, so I don't know how the Rockets feel about him. He was playing somewhere overseas the last I heard.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rockets will send an interesting group to summer league. Will include Sam Dekker, Montrezl Harrell, K.J. McDaniels and Michael Beasley.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/748924134080417793">July 1, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Obviously, Nanu Onuaku, Gary Payton, Isaiah Taylor and Kyle Wiltjer would be part of the Rockets summer team, as well.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/748925363330228224">July 1, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member