1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lance Zierlein leaving 1560

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BP0803, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I actually think I'd like Dylan as a person. He seems like a nice guy. I think somebody else in another thread put it best when they said Dylan pretty much screwed up when he comes off as a wannabe Rush Limbaugh of sports. I actually didn't mind him at first and thought people were overreacting, but over time, his show has become so monotonous to listen to, it's gotten painful. Y'all were right and boy, was I wrong.

2. RedRaiderRocket

I actually enjoy the first segment when MT and Dylan are on the radio together. MT is probably my favorite broadcaster.

3. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

If LZ is going to 790, I bet it is for primetime. Matt and LZ in the leadoff, Adam gets bumped to co-host a later spot. Or Matt, LZ and Adam sticks around as a third wheel.

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

naah nah nah. you cannot break up Matt and Adam. **** that ****.

Speaking of ****.

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jEQQTDGsbWk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

Totally agree.

Having listened to him since his KTRH days in the early to mid '90's, and having him bounce up to Minnesota for a few years only to make it back to H-town, it's a little annoying hearing him regularly talk about how he is a "...major-market radio host" and is on a "...major-market radio program".

It's weird but I get the feeling he just likes uttering the phrase. Almost like it's some sorta self-affirmation or something. Who knows, though. Maybe I just tune in at the wrong times....

For some reason the guy comes off as a bit egotistical. And he doesn't even have the intellectual chops to pull it off.

I just don't care for his style.

6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I've been listening to LZ from day one, big fan. I hope 790 snatches him up, would be weird to not hear him with Granato though. Still, gotta have Lance in my daily sportstalk.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Never thought Lance was anything special. But that's not saying much, Sports radio is pretty stupid for the most part. Just a bunch of idiots rambling on about the same crap with the same generic viewpoints and comments.

8. RedRaiderRocket

I think this is the special news that will be announced on 790 for those who think Lance will be joining, myself included.

Randy McIlvoy hosts KPRC's (Channel 2) high school football preview at 7 p.m. Aug. 19. Channel 2's weekly Friday Football Frenzy airs at 10:15 p.m. beginning Aug. 26, and its Sunday highlights show after Sports Sunday begins Aug. 28. McIlvoy also will host a weekly radio show with Matt Malatesta at 8 p.m. Wednesdays beginning Aug. 24 on KBME. ...

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/7694161.html#ixzz1Und3C9ld

9. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

That sounds more like it. Not ruling out LZ going anywhere yet, but it's not happening this quickly.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Typically non-competes are enforceable as long as they're drafted correctly...moreso now than ever in my career. My guess is that there's at least a negotiated waiting period with 1560 before Lance can be identified with another Houston station...but I suppose it's possible they let him out of it entirely.

11. MadMax

theSportsMonkey Houston Sports
    @adamclanton to fill @LanceZierlein's spot at @1560TheGame!

MJ4Sports Matt Jackson
    @ @theSportsMonkey hands off @adamclanton he's with us. #Team790

#91 MadMax, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Damn, you guys listen to incredibly too much sports radio. I don't even know half the guys being mentioned here.

That being said, Josh Innes is the worst sport talk host in the history of the world (no hyperbole). He's like Barry Warner on steroids and caffeine. Nothing is worse than hearing one of his boring personal stories about how he can't seem to get laid. Self depreciating humor is great, but you have to be FUNNY to pull it off correctly. And he ain't funny.

I'll be interested to see where LZ goes. Too bad you can't pick up 1560 or 790 in Kingwood before 8am or after 7pm.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

790 has no room for LZ.

That boat is full.

I doubt LZ would want Gwinn or Thomas' spot... and Matt/Adam and Charlie are not going anywhere anytime soon.

He could go to 610 in the morning opposite Vandermeer, and Lopez takes Innes' spot on the drivetime show. (please god, anything that gets Innes off the radio is a good thing) But I can't see why he'd trade in one crappy corporate gig for an even crappier corporate gig. The dudes on 610 sound like they're damn near robotic in what they're allowed to say.

14. MadMax

See, I think LZ would welcome any on-air job in Houston at this point....he can continue to develop his blog/website, and still have the income of talking sports on the air. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him land there. I doubt he's interested in uprooting his family to move elsewhere at this point.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'd be thrilled if he took over DG's spot, but I think he deserves better.

Here's hoping.

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Hmmm. Never thought about him going back to 610. I don't mind Vandermeer at all, but Lopez sucks.

Or maybe he can work for Mickey Mouse and work at 97.5. I don't think they have a morning show, but it's even more corporate there I bet. It's freaking ESPN

17. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

The morning guys on 790 were pimping an announcement on Monday that would have an impact on Houston sports radio. Gotta think it has to do with Lance.

18. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Yeah, it's kinda like a sports forum on the internet. So lame, I never come here. Ever.

19. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

For some reason my dial rarely hits 1560 I dont know to much about Lance but I'd definitely listen if he goes to 790..

For me its Charlie on the way home and flip back n forth 610/790 in the morning whomever is talking about a more interesting topic which is normally 790 with Matt and Adam........

Seems like Innes and Warner are the most hated here. I like Warner but to me he has something personal against Drayton which gets old but overall hes okay.......

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

[​IMG]

If all that this is is a new HS football show with Randy McIlroy, they sure are making a huge deal out of it.