1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyrie Irving is a flat-Earth truther?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by heypartner, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Again, read up on it instead of guessing things that contradict the theory. Baffles me how you continue to deny my points when I'm just repeating the theory itself.
    "Just guessing" and "most likely" doesn't cut in when discussing a theory.

Why are you even rejecting my statements when you yourself say "You are correct that I didn't read up on the theory"? Seems to me like you're making up a theory yourself that's completely seperate from what flat-earth actually says.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  2. mightybosstone

It's safe to say he didn't get into Duke based on his smarts. What an idiot. This legitimately makes me lose respect for the guy.

3. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Draymond Green now chimes in that the Earth "might be" flat.

Eugenicists having a field day.

4. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

What is truly shocking about this is that no one has bothered to interview Ja Rule.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

The ozone layer and gravity are completely unrelated. Gravity is a force that every object exerts on every other object, in various amounts, exclusively based on distance, and mass. We can even do the math to prove it.

Not only that, but the very act of orbiting anything, is literally the act of falling around the object constantly. If what you believed were true, we could never orbit anything above the ozone, which I'm sure you know, is false.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I don't think he'll listen, seems to have made up his own theory of physics and it's not part of any existing one.

7. VanityHalfBlack

He's a fuking r****d. Don't quit your day job.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  8. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I teach Econ. At least with space, you can easily tell what's bs. In my field, I routinely get grad level students telling me the equivalent of "igneous rocks are bullshit," and they genuinely believe they are right.

Daddy Long Legs and Yung-T like this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Lulz. I didn't realize they felt the need to explain away gravitation. Forget physics for a second, they don't seem to know what the unit meters per second per second means.

So the Earth is accelerating to infinite speed -- let's call it ludicrous speed?
    • In one minute of 9.8 m/s/s acceleration we'd be going like 550 m/s (~1300 mph)
    • In one hour, 35,000 m/s (~80,000 mph)
    • In one year we'd reach the speed of light
    • In 2017 years, we're at 2017x light speed, which is ludicrous speed
    Or do we reach a terminal velocity? And if we do reach a terminal velocity, then we are moving with the Earth at a constant speed, with no upward acceleration. Thus we could then jump off it with no gravity.

So either the Earth is moving towards ludicrous speed, already at 2000x faster than light, or we can, at some point, jump off it.

I suppose they will say Light doesn't have a speed...it's just there, to get around what happens to light when we are traveling faster than it.

#69 heypartner, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  10. Buck Turgidson

11. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Honestly I'm not sure why you are even wasting time trying to convince him that the earth is more of a sphere/spheroid than a flat plane. He will just come back with a negative argument approach (the appeal to ignorance approach.) "well it could be" "I mean why not?"

I mean I could make ludicrous claims and have that same argument. For example "200 million years ago aliens in another solar system defeated King Gyrax to liberate their solar system"

Can you exactly 100 percent disprove that? maybe not but there is no evidence to support that claim to any extent at all. negative arguments are complete trash.

If somebody is committed to the view that the earth is flat than they aren't worth reasoning with. I mean that completely. I don't want to sound condescending or elitist but if somebody is willing to dismiss 100s of years of academic achievement and completely ignore the findings of geometry/physics/history/astronomy than you won't be able to convince them of anything.

Kyrie accuses a group of people known as "they" of spreading lies in order to benefit "they." It's funny coming from kyrie because I know paranoid/uneducated people who accuse kyrie of being a member of "they" and part of the "illuminati conspiracy" just because he is a rich guy on TV.

This circle of mistrust and finger pointing of who is "they" and "the man" and a member of "illuminati conspiracy" just shows how uneducated and simple minded most people's understanding of the world is. It's the easy way out to view everything as a conspiracy against you.

Many people like to think there are a small number of power brokers who run the world and portray a false narrative of what is real for the rest of us to believe. Teens typically do not trust adults. Many minorities often think that everything is a conspiracy against them and that all business institutions are bad. If Kyrie or @ABS allow that mindset to convince them that the world is flat than it says more about their intellect than anything else.

This world is competitive, dog eat dog, merciless, and a rat race but it isn't organized enough for "they" to keep all the secrets from the general public.

These paranoid/insecure people usually come from oppressed categories or have nots so they are jaded by the world and have taken the easy way out and just want to assume the reason they are have nots is because a group of corrupt people is hiding everything from them.

Arguing against these people is as fruitless and unconvincing as the many political rants that you will see on Facebook. Instead of trying to change the world it is better to try to understand the world and then figure out how to exist in it.

These are all observations that I've learned growing up in a family of trial lawyers educating me about their beliefs on social dynamics and jury selection.

The little Greens and Irvings won't trust science anymore than Green or Irving do. It is what it is.

#71 Daddy Long Legs, Feb 19, 2017
    Yung-T likes this.
  12. heypartner

Pretty sure he was trolling the thread, in a Mr.Brightside way.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Well, they do follow rules of relativity in the regard of light speed being the limit and acceleration never reaching that speed.

In regards to terminal velocity, they claim: "
    In the Round Earth model, terminal velocity happens when the acceleration due to gravity is equal to the acceleration due to drag. In the Flat Earth model, however, there are no balanced forces: terminal velocity happens when the upward acceleration of the person is equal to the upward acceleration of the Earth.

Q: "If gravity does not exist, how does terminal velocity work"?

A: When the acceleration of the person is equal to the acceleration of the Earth, the person has reached terminal velocity."

Their lunatic site can be viewed here:
    http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Gravity

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So apparently the main flat-earth hypothesis is that the Earth is disc that looks like this:

[​IMG]

That ring of white on the perimeter is, supposedly, what we call Antarctica.

Alright ... wouldn't flying a plane straight over Antarctica and arriving on the other side of the world disprove this "theory"?

Or, one could time how long it takes to fly "around the world" at the equator versus at some other latitude closer to the south pole.

What am I missing here that makes this even remotely plausible, even leaving aside the improbability of a grand conspiracy theory among world governments, scientists, space programs, etc.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Anyone who thinks Kyrie is wrong is obviously a racist.

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The key to understanding this theory is playing a lot of SNES games. Go off of one side of the map, appear on the other side.

17. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

For the record, all science is rejecting the negative hypothesis. Also, I agree.

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Someone asked something similar on their official forum, it turned out as you thought it would. On page 1, you'll see the lunatic responses "NASA guards will prevent you from going there", "there's no oxygen left on the edge", "it's too far from the sun and you'd die".

When a British soldier chimes in on page 2 and tells a story of him going to Antarctica, the Flat-Earthers suddenly stop responding.

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=61974.0
    Found some other threads, these guys are hilarious with their bs models:
    https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=12213.0
    https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=69286.0

Edit: Just found out Flat-Earthers think the Sun is 32miles diameter and hovering above the Earth disc, this is so f****in hilarious.

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=The+Sun

#78 Yung-T, Feb 19, 2017
  19. heypartner

Uhhh...setting that aside for a second....that is not my question to them. Someone else is asking about a person's terminal velocity. My question is when does EARTH reach terminal velocity. If it doesn't, we are traveling at 2000x the speed of light right NOW on our way to infinite, ludicrous speed.

Seems they would do a lot better job not trying to explain away gravity, and just say gravity requiring sperical bodies is a myth. A flat body has gravity too...duh.

And back to their "answer" to terminal velocity of objects relative to Earth... The question about terminal velocity is when a arrow "falls" back to Earth. In their terms, it doesn't fall back....the Earth catches up at 9.8 m/s2. So, what does making up that gap have to do with equal acceleration, when the arrow is moving in an opposite direction relative to Earth catching up with it.

The terminal velocity of a "falling" object is that objects move toward Earth at constant velocity (eventually). Their use of the word Terminal Velocity is just doublespeak.

#79 heypartner, Feb 19, 2017
  20. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

What even would be the point of lying about the shape of the earth? This theory is obviously pure stupidity, but it is strangely irrelevant stupidity. I could choose to believe the moon is a giant marshmallow, but it would have zero effect on my daily life. What's the point?