1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe Bryant using Hakeem's Move (YouTube) Against Clippers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheMacster, Jan 7, 2010.

1. TheMacster

TheMacster Member

2. sbyang

sbyang Member

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z16ij3Fbqc4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z16ij3Fbqc4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Kobe's trying to reinvent his game as he gets older.

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

The pump fake was enough to get himself an easy layup. Adding the spin made the shot more difficult, but hey, it worked. Of course, I'll never pass up a chance to see a Hakeem move being replicated.

4. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

I do that all the time against my friends, i find it easier to make the shot after the spin because you are more balanced.

5. StacyMcGrady3

StacyMcGrady3 Rookie

My favorite current player replicating the move of my all time favorite player.

Simple Amazing...Appreciate the post!

6. VBG

VBG Member

I've done it once, perfectly with the guy biting on the fake. But the guy guarding me was pretty terrible.

That was a nice move by Kobe. The most complete player in the NBA.

7. Francis 4 ever

And people say lebron is better... :eek:

8. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

After Hakeem did that to Robinson, I think everyone in Houston started trying that move on the playground. I know I did.

What's crazy is that Hakeem looks more fluid doing it than Kobe. Still it's cool to see how driven Kobe is. I can't stand Kobe, but I have to admit he's pretty amazing.

9. HoustonRockets

Lebron wouldve dunked that ;)

10. Shovel Face

Shovel Face Member

Sorry, but I don't think that was it.

Kobe spun back into traffic and just got lucky that nobody was there. The spin move in the game was the opposite direction of what he practiced with Dream. Kobe's spin on that move was actually unnecessary, the pump fake was enough.

11. biggz

biggz Member

spun the wrong direction and made the difficult shot....amazing

12. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

13. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

He is way more complete...

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Considering LBJ is already hitting 50.5% of his field goals this season he probably has something just as effective as the Dream's post moves...namely the FT line dunk, the sideline dunk, the statue of liberty dunk and the crab dribble dunk.

Back on the vid though, is that really a good move? Its something I saw on the vid, hakeem's "fake and spin" is just one move the fake either freezes out the opponent or makes them jump in the air, while the spin gives him another avenue to the basket AWAY from either the frozen out or currently in the air opponent. What would happen is Hakeem is holding the ball on his left hand, fakes his opponent out, spins to the basket and makes the FG with his right hand.

On the hand, Bryant's "fake and spin" wasnt necessary. His actual in game move resulted in him pump-faking, then spinning TOWARDS his opponent. If his LBJ and the other dude had jumped towards him instead of straight up it would resulted in a block or a steal. The pump fake alone was enough to freeze his opponent, he should have gone straight to the basket instead of spinning like a ballerina IMHO.

15. Francis 4 ever

Questioning everything you stand for from this comment...

16. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Yeah but have you tried using this move? You pretty much HAVE to spin in order to shoot an on balanced shot. Not spinning makes the shot so much more difficult because of the momentum you still have.

Plus, you can't jump TOWARDS kobe when he pump fakes, everybody knows this. He is just going to jump into you and draw the foul.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

You mean the pump fake? Yes I have in fact tried it. Its actually my favorite move because its really easy to do but it messes with your opponent in a big way, and I have never had to spin after I did it. What's your point?

Why don't you freeze frame at exactly 14 secs? You can see the moment where Kobe pump fakes and has LBJ and the extra in the air. He executed a jumpstop prior to doing the pump fake, hence both his feet are on the ground. The jumpstop negated any momentum you might have had, and while his balance is far from perfect the fact that both his feet are on the ground pretty much means he can do any move he wants. The "spin" made his shot more difficult and increased the risk the ball will come into contact with the enemy. He's a few inches from the basket, he should have just shot the ball, instead of spinning away from the basket and then shooting in the act of spinning.

As for never jumping into a pump fake rule, that is pretty much useless advice because you will never know if it is a fake or not until its too late, that's the main reason why its called a "fake". If LBJ knew it was a pumpfake then obviously he wouldn't have jumped in the first place.

18. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Kobe just spun the wrong way, but if you do the move like Dream did earlier, the shot becomes MUCH easier if you add the spin, opens up the angle that allows you to hook it off the backboard and most importantly oyu are balanced and it feels natural.

19. TheMacster

TheMacster Member

Great, a thread that was more for in honor of Hakeem's greatness and Kobe exemplifying his with The Dream's move turns into LBJ v. Kobe.

:(

20. biggz

biggz Member

it took kobe one summer to learn the dream shake and dwight howard still has not learned it yet.