1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Martin quietly having the best season of his career

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Feb 26, 2011.

Tags:
  1. OremLK

OremLK Member

23ppg on 15.2 shots in only 31.1mpg, 22.3 PER, .606 TS%.

If that's not superstar-level scoring, I don't know what is. He might not bring much on the defensive end, but let's admit it: He's still a fantastic player on the strength of his offensive contributions alone.

Nothing special, just thought it was worth pointing out.

2. The Situation

The Situation Member

And he's been healthy *knocks on wood*

3. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

Pssshhh, Kevin Martin is FOOL'S GOLD! :grin:

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He's not a guy who create a lot of shots for himself or others, which is one thing the Rockets have lacked on the offensive end. Overall they are good, but they do hit droughts during which they can really use, say, a Deron Williams or Kobe Bryant to create some open shots.

That said, he's great at what he does and what he does contributes to what is, overall, the most efficient offense the Rockets has had for more than a decade.

5. Dei

Dei Member

Oh, god, really? He's a good player on bad teams type?

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

He's a good player on a mediocre team, not a good player on a bad team. There's a difference.

Deron Williams is a good player on a bad team.

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Curious to see what happens with Kevin this offseason, he has stated in the past that he doesn't want to be part of a rebuilding plan of which we are in the middle of.

8. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

Most underrated player in the entire NBA. No one talks about him and he puts up super star numbers.

9. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Chase has an identical game to him tonight and the game thread is filled with praise for him. Shows how consistent K-Mart is, game in and game out.

10. conquistador#11

Rare are the superstars that play D. Many of them just get away with hacking away at the guy with the ball. This is a system where a player doesn't need to create his shot, so he fits perfectly. Just got to get a center that plays great defense and get some zebras on the payroll. The first part is easier said than done.

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

yep.

4th in ts% among all sg
    10th in scoring - 26th in fga per game
    4th in points per shot
    1st in Free throws made
    10th in FT %
    4th in 3 pointers made

all that and he is 84th in the league in minutes per game

I don't care how bad his defense can be at times. That production and efficiency is unreal. and he gets no respect

12. jm434

jm434 Contributing Member

guess its because he replaced battier in the starting 5 tonight?

13. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I think his defense is why he can't play the same amount of minutes as any other of the top shooting guards. He just avoids contact on the defensive end as much as possible... I wonder if it's because one of his biggest strengths is getting those cheap foul calls that refs always fall for, and he'd be worried that they'd get pissed and start calling cheap fouls on him. I don't know. Just talking out of my ass.

14. choujie

choujie Member

That is very debatable. There was a time Yao had similar efficiency ratingof offense with similar points facint double/triple team all day plus creates for others.

15. choujie

choujie Member

There was a time Yao was just as efficient on offense while facing double/triple teams all game long. Yao also could create for others because of those consistent double team.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I mean the team's offensive efficiency. The Rockets are currently ranked 5th overall in points per possession scored. The last time they were ranked this high was 2001-2002.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Ronny faints.

18. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

His per 36 minutes stats put him at 26.6 points per game. I believe that might be the highest in the NBA.

19. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Lets not commit the same mistake we did with Aaron Brooks, and trade him when he has low value. So that's why we should move him this off-season with his value being at an all-time high!

Maybe we can move him + our picks for a top 5 pick, and get ourself's a real star talent ... Perry Jones, perhaps?! ;)

20. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Even if he was, usually those guys shoot 38% to 40% overall. Since Martin's probably the most efficient scoring guard in the league, I think that logically the opposite would be true....he'd be even better/more efficient on a good team.