1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Durant

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by binvegas, Nov 18, 2006.

1. KAS13

KAS13 Contributing Member

That's the stupidest thing I've read. Durant does pass but obviously this guy doesn't realize that this isn't the NBA and defenses in college actually rotate. Anyone who bashes Durant shouldn't be allowed to write anymore. They almost beat Kansas twice (who are the most common pick to win it all) . They blew huge leads (which is another story) but it certainly isn't on Durant. I don't know how a team in the top 15 with 4 Freshman starters underachieves.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

While Whitlock can be insightful on rare occasions, sometimes it's so obvious he takes a contrarian viewpoint just to generate attention. Saying UT has no business being 24-9 proves he doesn't know what he's talking about. If the season started over right now, their record would be better. But earlier in the season they were very shaky and the team has matured with time.

Comparing Durant to Glen Robinson proves Whitlock hasn't done his homework. I'm a Purdue graduate. The Big Dog left college as a polished junior and was 21 1/2 years old when he entered the NBA. Durant is a FRESHMAN. There is also a big difference in skill level between the two. (And let me say I haven't forgotten the hype Robinson got when he came out). IMO, Durant also seems to be faster along the maturity curve.

Whitlock likes to say he just calls things as he sees them. He actually calls things so that other people see him (Whitlock).

3. KAS13

KAS13 Contributing Member

Good point. Robinson was supposed to be the second coming as well but he left as a junior. His game also was not anything like Durants. He did have an effective inside outside game but he wasn't the athletic freak that Durant is. He also wasn't the pure outside shooter. Durant is 6'10 and can catch and fire, Robinso needed to set himself to be effective from long range. Durant is also a team player, something Robinson never was. All that being said, Robinson had a solid NBA career. His attitude, selfishness and refusal to play defense are the things that stopped him from becoming a superstar. Durant only weaknesess right now in my opinion are his strength and ball handling.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Quite simply, I'll say this:

I haven't seen much of Durant, but from what I have seen, he is the best college player I've ever seen. I'm a young guy, so that may not hold as much credit, but still. I don't think there is much more he can accomplish in the NCAAs, besides winning a championship. He is simply a man among boys out there, and there's pretty much no stopping him.

Like someone else said, I think he can be a Garnett with more range. If he can bulk up a little bit, and fix the one hitch he has in his game (he's not a great shotblocker despite LONG arms), he could challenge Lebron for NBA royalty. The kid is just flatout crazy.

At this point, I'd trade anyone and everyone not named Tracy or Yao, plus pick for him.

Greg Oden, on the other hand, won't hold a match to Durant when it's all said and done.

5. Fuse

Fuse Member

Its like the 84 draft all over again :D

6. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2803589

The Boston Celtics confirmed Sunday that the team had been fined $30,000 by the NBA for excessive contact with the family of University of Texas star freshman and likely lottery draft pick Kevin Durant.

General Manager Danny Ainge sat next to Durant's mother during the Big 12 tournament. The league said Ainge violated rules demanding that contact be kept to a minimum between team executives and potential NBA draft picks, until college players officially declare for the draft.

Sports Illustrated first reported the story on its Web site.

Celtics spokesman Jeff Twiss said Ainge is on the road scouting players and he did not offer specifics of the fine.

The Celtics won in San Antonio for the first time in 17 years on Saturday, topping the Spurs 91-85. At 20-46 on the year, the team has the league's second-worst record behind the Memphis Grizzlies.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Notice how Durant isn't commenting on his status now instead of saying he is coming back. He says he will let his parents decide. Like I said a while ago, now that the last game is finished the atmosphere changes quite a bit. The drama will end within 2-3 weeks when Durant announces for the NBA.

8. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Does anyone have access to ESPN Insider? There's a headline on ESPN.com right now which reads "Durant says he's 50-50" that I'd be interested in reading (even though it probably is a bunch of B.S.), but I don't have access to ESPN insider.

9. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Shoe Contract Dwarf's NBA Contract
    Mar 20 - Taras Brown, an AAU coach in Kevin Durant's home state of Maryland and the man he calls his godfather, says it won't necessarily be the NBA money that lures Durant from UT. It would be a lucrative shoe contract that, in all likelihood, will dwarf Durant's rookie salary.

"The shoe companies kind of take the decision out of your hands," Brown said. "They will probably make the family an offer they can't refuse." -- San Antonio Express-News

Monday's report ...

- Over the next six weeks, Kevin Durant has to decide if he wants to be the youngest player in professional basketball, albeit with the biggest upside.

He's not sure, and even his best friend, D.J. Augustin, said they never discuss it.

"In his mind, I don't think he's ever thought about leaving," Texas coach Rick Barnes said privately in his dressing room. "I know he's not in any hurry to decide. I think it's 50-50." -- Austin American-Statesman

- Has Kevin Durant played his last game for the Texas Longhorns?

"I don't really think that's an appropriate question right now," said Durant, who had 30 points and nine rebounds against the Trojans.

A few minutes later, Durant said he was unsure about his future. He said he was eager to begin preparing for next season with his teammates. -- Houston Chronicle

- "I really don't know right now," said Durant. "I'm still going to work hard with my teammates, no matter what. I love college, and I love these guys so much. This is a big family. These are going to be my brothers for life. It's going to be a hard decision."

Texas coach Rick Barnes said he and Durant would sit down with Durant's family and discuss it at the appropriate time. -- Dallas Morning News

- "He's going to be a standard in that league. I really believe that," said USC coach Tim Floyd, who has been an NBA head coach. "I wish more players in our country understood he wasn't out playing street ball or pickup games, he was locked in a gym in D.C. for seven years working on individual skills.

"He's not great because he's 6-9, he's great because he knows how to play the game, and he has a skill package that allows him to play." -- Dallas Morning News

10. Astockmarketgod

I like the guys game... he should go number 1 pick in my books...

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Looks like Jordan is next in line:

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap/

12. htownzplaya03

htownzplaya03 Member

didnt the boston celtics get fined for contacting his family too much? :confused:

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I wonder if he still would have gotten fined if he said, "You know, that kid from one of them states in the South, yeah, the real big one. You know he's that tall kid who plays basketball for some school down there where the fans all like to wear the color orange for some reason, and make this funny symbol with their hands."

I mean, I understand fining for direct contact or something clearly insidious like that, but all Jordan really did was acknowledge that yes, he does pay attention to college basketball, and that there are soem players there specifically that would be great prospects.

14. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Agree. I don't think people know they have 4 freshman starters. If Durant stays in college for another year I could see Texas being a serious contender.

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya...I worked for a radio station in Austin, we were giving UT tickets away but we weren't allowed to say UT so we had to say that school that wears orange and stuff like that.

16. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

I hope Durant goes to Boston. The NBA needs the Celtics to be a good team again. He would potentially be their first real star since Bird. (Pierce is a good player, but not a star.)

17. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

My friend told me that there's a slim chance that the Suns may get the second pick and end up with Durant (they get the Hawk's two future first-round pick from the Joe Johnson trade). Any truth to that? If it's true then I highly doubt the Suns will get that lucky. Then again we all know there's an NBA conspiracy. ;)

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Your friend is wrong. The picks the Suns got are protected to some extent. Maybe someone can find out exactly how. I know for a fact they were at least top 5 protected.

What this brings to mind was how amazing it was for Zeke to trade TWO unprotected picks to the Bulls for Eddie Curry.

19. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

Yeah, thought so. Or else it would've created pandemonium over on ESPN.com.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If the draft lotto was 2 weeks ago and the Bulls won I bet a thousand bucks Isiah wouldn't get extended...