1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Kenny Smith and Barkley say Rockets are not better without TMac

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Angkor Wat, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Since we get a thread about GP and his thoughts on the Rockets, its only fair to make one with Kenny and Charles (knew tinman wouldn't make one because this is a positive view on Mac). Both guys don't believe they are better without Tmac, I assume healthy of course. Kenny did mention that they run it through Yao more but stressed the importance of a guy like Tmac being able to create their own shot in late game, clock running down situations in the playoffs. Charles mentioned they run their actual offense more but thinks people are crazy if they think this team is better without Skip and Mac. Said the Rockets made that move because they don't think they can contend and looked foward to the future.

What do you guys think? Remember, these are former Houston Rockets that still believe this team is better with TMac. Are they right? Wrong? Or just plain fake Houston Orlando NBA fans that only want to see TMac score 30 points per game?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

I agree with that, only that.

3. jteg25

jteg25 Member

i think from an outsiders perspective....they are right. but they just havent paid attention to the decline of tracy this year and how stagnant he made the offense and defense. i like what the young pg's bring out there and atleast they have made it exciting to watch the rox again. besides charles is probably just cranky b/c he hasnt had a drink since his little incident

4. scalper

scalper Member

ofcourse this team would be better with a Tmac in the line up... not even a 50% Tmac...

but he would have to play with the team... instead of a one man team,... with ball movement ... and moving without the ball...

a 30 point Tmac usually means like 20 shots... and no way I want to see that again

but we all know... that Tmac would not show up... or wouldnt last for long...

bottom line is you take 20 million off of any team in this league... and it dosent make any of them better either...

5. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

I don't know if this has been brought up, but I think we are a WORSE team with both Tracy and Yao on the court together. If Tmac is out then we are better as long as Yao is in and if Yao is out then we are better if Tmac is healthy.

If Tmac is out and Yao is healthy, then we need to play like we did last night. Defense, half court offensive, ball movement, get a good look, rebound.

If Yao is out and Tmac is healthy, then we play like we did last year during the 22 win streak like the old school suns. Run and gun, shoot quick, get loose balls, press, steals, and play D when it matters.

Two completely different teams. Now IMO when they are both on the court, the styles collide and you are left with a clusterfzuck and no identity.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

The state TMAC was in this season, they are better off with out him. Not knowing if he would play etc, ruined the preparation for games.

But the regular TMAC we know, no way in hell are they better with out him.

7. she'sdone

she'sdone Member

Barkley will have to kiss donkey's ass again :D

8. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Rockets are better with a 100% HEALTHY Tmac. Either than that I don't really agree.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the team has been playing better without an injured tmac. the team can be more consistent and develop more chemistry without tmac's last minute decisions about weather he will play.

however, he was our closer. he was te guy we go to late in the game. we don't have a player like that on our team today.

10. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

oUr Houston Rockets would only be better with Tracy on the team if he is will to be a Role Player and not one who is a dominent decission maker.
    Tracy would have to be passed the ball in positions where he was ready to shoot, pass or even go to the basket. He would not be a player who dribbles arround looking to see if he will shoot and then detemining the next play. This has been the problem with out team. It was also the same problem with Rafer Alston who always looked for his own shot first and setting up the play second. Not that brooks has been an improvement in this direction but at least he can score much more consistently. :p

11. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

Last year, we won, what, 12 in a row after Yao went down? So where did that get us in the playoffs?

I think the same thing will happen this year without McGrady. The playoffs are too tough to expect to seriously contend without all of your big guns.

12. timmy

timmy Member

Barkley is stupid. Always tries to make some bold / biased statement. And becomes laughing stock later.

13. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure they didn't mean healthy, they meant in his current injured state. Only a very extreme fringe actually thinks they would be worse off with him healthy.

And of course, that they think the team is worse without the injured McGrady is professional slothfulness on their part. it's pretty clear they're better without him this year.

14. RocketJoe

RocketJoe Contributing Member

That was hilarious!

IMO Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley are horrible commentators. I find myself losing respect for Kenny Smith the more he speaks. I remember watching him hitting threes and contributing to our Championships, so I am not a Kenny-Hater...
    I respect what he did for the Rockets, but as a commentator pure garbage.

15. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I think there is never enough time for media people on TV to really look at all the factors. Charles and Kenny both had slightly different views on it, and I think both were pretty good views.

Charles: Basically, they need someone like McGrady to be a (title) contender. Hard to argue that.

Kenny: They need McGrady, but need him to play a different role. He said he is not used to depending on anyone else but himself. I said something similar in other threads. I think one factor of McGrady's lack of post-season success is that he finds it hard to trust in his teammates during crunch time. Partly on him, partly on the pieces that have been around him in the past.

I thought they were fair in their assessment of the Rockets. The current level of play is great. There are still many areas of improvement here.

Much like Kenny or Charles said. Their play last year carried them to an incredible streak, but that only lasts so long before you get bounced in the playoffs.

We need someone else to help Yao during crunch time. And PLEASE don't say Artest right now. If people complained of McGrady's shot selection, don't even mention Ron's right now.

16. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

wow. i dont think ive ever seen this picture

17. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I also forgot to add that Chuck said Yao needs to be the #1 guy and TMac should be more of a role player. Maybe this is the year that Yao steps up and takes the responsibility of being the #1.

18. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Oh was it Chuck that said that? I mistakenly thought it was Kenny. Either way, they both seem to believe that. It wasn't always so clear in the past, but now it's very clear.

In previous years, the offense went how McGrady went.

This year, it seems more like how Yao goes, the offense goes. And the "drop off" when Yao sits, is not very bad at all if you can even call it that. In years past, as soon as McGrady sat our offense was piss poor.

19. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Better with T-Mac or better without T-Mac. It all doesn't matter. What you do in the season is pointless. It all matters and counts in the playoffs. Lets find out how better we are when the playoffs start. Season doesn't mean anything. Ask the Suns how does it feel to have a great season and fail in the playoffs. Win or Go Home :D

20. rocketsmetalspd

Ok, for one thing these two have not been watching the Rocket's games this season. TMac this season and I stress this season was not helping the Rockets period. Rafer was not hitting his shots and with both of them starting this season the offense suffered because teams were actually playing off them. Basketball when played by a TEAM is fun to watch and right now the Rockets are playing like a TEAM that will only get better.