1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kawhi Leonard to Lakers done?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaBeard, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

Just like Rivers i guess ;) just wait and see, i wouldn't bet on this, it seems he's waiting for Kawhi so, who knows...but even if he's not willing to sign for the minimum he could still get the room exception.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He was waiting on Kawhi because if Kawhi stays in Toronto he's willing to consider re-signing in Toronto. If Kawhi leaves he's going to Dallas. There's a chance he goes to Dallas either way now, probably because Toronto isn't willing to pay him real money.

As for Rivers, Rivers never said anything about maximizing his contract this offseason.

clutchdabear, malakas and Vivi like this.
  3. justtxyank

4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

thedreamsteam and malakas like this.
  5. Vivi

Vivi Member

No but nobody saw him settle for the minimum, if Green takes the room exception to play in L.A i wouldn't be shocked, although i think you're right, he's probably waiting for Kawhi cause if he stays in Toronto he can also get paid there so, make sense to think for Green it's either Toronto or Dallas.

6. malakas

malakas Member

Marcus was before the FA started expected to take a 15+ mil per contract at very least. He is 29 y.o in his prime, not some 35y.o washed up.
    He also hasn't made any big money so far in his carreer and was always underpaid.
    He is also a Klutch client.

This would be too much and you can be sure that there are off the books money passed along.
    I hope other teams report them and the league is forced to investigate.

luckyman76 and thedreamsteam like this.
  7. justtxyank

Marcus Morris has a high likelihood of getting squeezed out of a real contract this offseason. I seem him as a very viable MLE candidate.

That said, yes, if he signs for the minimum he's getting paid off the books. Suddenly he has a role in Space Jam lol.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Broussard:
    Barring a last second change of heart, he'll be a Laker. I'm told today or tomorrow he'll make an announcement he's joining the Lakers. People I've talked to would be shocked if he doesn't sign with the Lakers. All indications are this is done.

Look for Iguodala, Alec Burks, Kyle Korver, Jeff Green, Danny Green if he doesn't get a better offer, Jared Dudley and Rondo.

But later came back from break and said "I was just texted from someone in the know, very much in the know and told Kawhi has not made any decision yet."

luckyman76, Vivi and malakas like this.
  9. malakas

malakas Member

Hopefully Kawhi becomes now pissed off how the Lakers media all day yesterday published for everyone to see that he was headed there gets disgusted with the circus and signs elsewhere.

10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He's got hot sauce, he's got tartar sauce, he's got sweet sauce, he's got sour sauce.

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm holding out hope that Kawhi loves competition and ending dynasties rather than joining LeBron. Sure the allure of putting on a Lakers jersey is there but if Jerry West can turn Gallinari, Lou Williams, Miami's 2021 1st, the 2 2nds from Detroit and their own 1st into Bradley Beal......

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

If Kawhi picks any team besides the Lakers, he will be loved by every fanbase in the NBA except the Lakers, (Clippers or Raptors, and probably even the Raptors if he goes to the Clippers), and Spurs. The parity of the league literally is hinging on him to not pick the Lakers.

13. BigTex

BigTex Member

Guess i'm hoping he strings the Lakers along for a while and then goes back to Toronto. So Lakers miss out on other free agents

14. malakas

malakas Member

Burks already signed and Green will get a better offer than a minimum.
    What an idiot.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly, James Harden is the only thing preventing a rebuild. There is maybe 2-3 players in the world as good as Harden and you are right, the chances of getting a player as good as him is low. The Rockets could completely bottom out and get 2-3 high lottery picks and still not get a player close to Harden. I do wonder at what point does Harden throw his hands up and ask out.

I will be curious to see if the Clippers or Warriors are able to put together a dynasty, or if this is a Lakers situation and maybe one other team that happens to put together an elite team (Warriors).

We will see what the league does, but you would think owners of the vast majority of teams would not like what is happening. If you own the Pelicans, how do you feel? How are the Bucks going to feel with Giannis leaves for NY or LA? The Jazz?

There are safe guards that the league could build in to make it really difficult for teams to amass so many stars. The Kemba Walker's and Jimmy Butler's of the world changing teams is one thing......... it is players like Durant and Leonard and James that make a big difference...... consider that arguably the greatest SG/SF/PF combo in NBA history has just formed in LA..... James/Leonard/Davis......... all would hypothetically get the max and none of them were drafted by the Lakers.

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Didn't Burks agree to a deal with OKC yesterday?

17. JW86

JW86 Member

Broussard is like other media heads who are trying to force the narrative and want to say they knew all along. That’s all there is to this. Kawhi literally does not talk to anyone about his plans besides his uncle. Chris Carter is the closest to an insider so literally nothing that has been reported about Kawhi’s potential decision is true. Agree with @malakas

malakas likes this.
  18. justtxyank

They'll never get it in collective bargaining, but what they need to do is expand the super max with some caveats:

1) Expand what players are eligible for it
    2) Exempt a portion of it from luxury tax/salary cap implications (meaning a guy gets $40M but only $30 is counts against the cap/luxury tax)
    3) Create a system where players earn it in a more robust way and then get designated by the league as a player eligible for that max. A team then is limited to only having two players under a certain age that are designated eligible for that max NO MATTER WHAT. Even if the player turns down that max he can't sign with a team that has two that are eligible for it even if those two also declined it. It's the eligibility for it that dictates it. The ONLY exception would be if you drafted all 3 players and then you would still be capped at 3. So you get one extra spot if and only if ALL THREE are guys you drafted.

This would:
    1) Make more players eligible for more money
    2) Make more owners willing to pay it without crippling their teams
    3) Make true super teams impossible.

In practice this would:
    -have prevented Durant from joining the Warriors BUT allow the Warriors to keep Klay/Steph/Draymond
    -prevent Kawhi from joining the Lakers
    -not prevent Durant/Kawhi to Brooklyn
    -not prevent two stars from teaming up
    -probably net more money to more players. Paul George for example might still be in Indiana.
    -Might also encourage more player movement to teams WITHOUT stars.

RichieBanks and Deckard like this.
  19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This basically just means he has made the decision but he was texted by somebody to let Kawhi announce it as opposed to it being leaked.

He’s going to be a Laker. All signs point to it.

luckyman76 and justtxyank like this.
  20. justtxyank

Danny Green 'if he doesn't get a better offer' than the minimum lol. The rest of that I would expect sure.