1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Josh Smith Anyone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, May 6, 2013.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yeah I know I'm schizophrenic. But I watched the Bulls-Miami game and thought right now we are better than the Bulls and they just beat Miami. We played Miami tough in the regular season. All we need is to upgrade our PF spot and we are right there. That's all we need. Miami can't handle feisty big teams. Asik is a very good center who fits our team perfectly. All we need is an upgrade at PF and we will be right there.

I started an earlier thread suggesting Al Jefferson could be that guy. The thing is what we need most is a stretch 4, Kevin Love type. I like Big Al and I think he brings a lot but after watching more video, like many said he is awfully slow. I still think he is an improvement and gives us a great low post threat but the way we run our offense he would be the last guy up.

So what remains of the free agent PF's; Josh Smith, Paul Milsap, David West, Kenyon Martin... None are stretch 4's. Which with our style of play a fast paced, stretch 4 is what we really need. David West has a good midrange shot but he is not a stretch 4 or rim protector. Paul Milsap is overrated. His D is average at best and he doesn't protect the rim or shoot threes well. KMart no.

So that leaves Josh Smith. There are clearly things I don't like about his game. Smith pretty much scores in only two ways. Fast break attacking the rim and 3 point shooting and the problem with his 3 point shooting is it is a little below average at best and pathetic under pressure. His midrange wasn't very impressive and not much of a back to the basket game. Plus this season he shot 50% from the line that is really bad. He plays the same style of game as Harden but do we really need a playmaking point PF. We don't have enough basketballs for all of our playmakers.

At second glance I could be completely wrong. I mean maybe Smith needed to be the point forward on that team. He has great handles for a PF. he passes the ball great for a big. How can that be bad. Do I want him to be a full time playmaker on our team ala Harden? No but who says he has too. Also his 3 pt shooting in the playoffs looked bad but a lot of times he was dribbling and then pulling it up for a 3pt shot. That is a poor percentage shot for him. But when I watch highlights I never saw one 3 pt shot dribbling and pulling up. The shots made were all set out of movement. The same kind Morris was making for us. His form looked great when he did that.

SO I think if he only shot those types of threes his percentage could easily be better than 33%. That makes him a stretch 4. Also his career ft % is 65, not great but much better than 50% and on second look he does have a decent mid range shot. Not as pure as Jefferson but it is there. He also has a back to the basket game although on film I mostly saw it when SF's were guarding him. So that covers his negatives.

As for positives the guy runs the fast break and finishes as good as any pf in the game. he protects the rim very well and with Asik will make it near impossible to get an easy layup against us. He rebounds decently and is a good passer albeit not always willing. Plays the game above the rim like Griffin although not as high. In fact much of his game is like Griffin only he is a better shotblocker passer and 3 point shooter and not as good a power player. The biggest problem is he would need to adjust his game some. But I think he would under our staff. Players come here and improve.

All Smith needs to be taught is better shot selection and better ball movement. The rest of his skills fit right in. Granted I could be wrong about his 3 pt shooting but at second glance I think his game might be what we need. I trust Morey to do his research. if he picks him I am sure we will get the pf we need. Josh Smith could be the stretch 4 we are looking for in a power forward body. But again this a question fill free to disect it.

Just watch how he posterizes Ibaka in this video. Gotta love that if nothing else...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fSQxnw50wAk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#1 Old Man Rock, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Nope.

First Al Jefferson now Smith?

You sure you aren't the Suns GM?

3. The Stig

The Stig Member

For less than $11m, sure. Anything more and we're overpaying.

4. dantian

dantian Member

no. JSmooth is just a fair-weather shiny player who will get overpaid for that. Hopefully not by the Rockets.

5. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

I really dislike Josh Smith. He would improve our defense, but his poor shot selection/decision making kills Atlanta in a lot of games. Also, his attitude is pretty rotten too. If he was an $8 million a year guy, then I would be all over it, but he'll likely be demanding about $14 to 15 million.

6. Old Man Rock

Funny guy... Admittedly I am conflicted. But if Dwight Howard and CP3 don't walk through those doors who do you suggest. Right now I am stuck between Josh Smith and Al Jefferson and my pendulum has swung back to Smith. The thing is Smith has issues but all he really needs to fix them is tonight force shots and not try to be Jason Kidd for our team. That can be easily fixed. The problem with Jefferson is he he is a little too slow for the way we run. Either one is an upgrade. I like David West too but not a long term fix at his age. Milsap not so sure he is much better than what we have and I would rather wait to see what happens at the trade deadline and with our young prospects.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

Unstick yourself and learn to be patient. Get Gasol for almost nothing for one season and then you have 2014 to give it another go.

You don't just blow your cap space "just because".

8. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Is it bad if I'm essentially copy/pasting myself from another thread? :p

I've said before that while JSmoove is not my #1 option, at the right price, he can make our team a darkhorse contender. Not an obvious contender like D12 or CP3 (or better yet, CP3 + D12 :p) could, but at least a very solid at WCF every yr.

Smith is a great B+ player in a lot of ways. He fits our team. He can run, finish on the fast break, and has a VERY high percentage at the rim. More importantly, our gaping hole is in our defense. Smith can guard the 3 and the 4 very, very well as an almost elite defender. He contributes great weak side blocking, too.

His ability to stretch the floor is actually pretty good. While his season 3 pt avg. from 3 is not great (31%), it isn't terrible either. More importantly, he actually shoots 38% from the right wing, so that's notable. Also important is his ability to drive the ball and kick it out. He is a willing and able passer who can draw the defense in and kick out to the perimeter, something our offense is built on (along with the run and gun that he's so physically built for).

JSmoove also has a decent post game, which is something we lack right now (outside of DMo, but he can't defend or rebound well enough to warrant his offensive contribution), and we need to develop it to have different strategies in the playoffs, where having a halfcourt game becomes much more crucial.

Defense also matters a lot more in the playoffs, and offense is not why I would get JSmoove for. We already were #2 in scoring in the league, and #5 in offensive efficiency. I'm not worried about our offense, although JSmoove would definitely help there (see above: post game, fast break, athleticism, finishing at the rim). It is defense that he really helps us.

Most if not all championship teams in the last few decades have not won without a top-notch defensive wing/perimeter player. JSmoove can do that for us in crunch time. He also brings versatility to our lineup. We could play him at the 3 when we need him on a certain player, and throw DMo at the 4 to stretch the floor, or have JSmoove at the floor w/ Parsons for a better transition game, etc. LOTS of possibilities.

His downsides are his boneheaded plays and inefficient shots. These problems are somewhat mitigated purely by the fact that, unlike at ATL, he will undoubtedly get fewer touches in HTown. This would limit the problem almost right away. At 28, could he learn our system of standing outside of 22 ft and going beyond the arc? That's questionable and something to worry about, but again, at least he gets fewer touches, and his prime use is not on offense but defense. I won't pretend like some and say he will learn to take better shots in our system (though I actually do think this is true) because he is 28 after all...hard to teach an old dog new tricks. So instead I will harp on the fact that he will get fewer touches to be inefficient with :)

All in all, for the right price (<$14M), I would be happy with a JSmoove signing, though not ecstatic. He has problems, but is not the black mark that some people make him out to be, as he fits very well with our team's offense and needs on defense. Whether he agrees to $14M or not, who knows. He has said he thinks he is a max player, but also said he's willing to negotiate for less. He has also said he would like to play for Houston. /shrugs

It would also leave us with enough money to keep Delfino or sign another impact player (maybe OJ Mayo if we move a contract around).

9. The Stig

The Stig Member

Or we wait and see if LMA or Love becomes available the follow year. They're the upper tier PF's in the league IMO and I think its worth to try and pry them off their teams when they're on their last year of their contracts than overpaying for a second/third tier of PF's.

10. pnr

pnr Member

I think we go after Pau Gasol for his one year rental. Then next year we go after Love

11. The Stig

The Stig Member

I really don't want to help the Lakers out but if it benefits our future, guess it will work. We can probably get to resign on a cheaper deal in 2014 while going for the upper tier PF's.

What do the Lakers want for Pau though?

12. Old Man Rock

I agree 100% but if you take those out of his game he is exactly what we need. His poor selection gone he becomes a much better mid range and 3 point shooter. If he stops handling the ball so much and that stops that problem. Those are defects that are easily fixed by coaching. Just watch that terrible game Harden had when he continued to dribble the ball for twenty seconds and miss. The next game he cut that down considerably. You just have to coach that out of Smith. If he is not coachable and stubborn to the point he will not change that then probably a bad choice. But if he can change than the rest of his skills fit our team perfect. I know it's a risk but he's an amzing athlete and you got to at least look at the guy. He doesn't seem like a bad character just not well coached. I trust Morey to determine if he can be coached.

13. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I think Golden State would be a better fit for Smith. I also just don't want to pay Smith the money he'll warrant.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

A couple of second rounders, maybe one of the young Power forwards.

15. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Locking up a majority of your cap space in players like Josh Smith and Al Jefferson is how teams destroy their futures.

16. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I would rather use our expiring asset (our cap space) than our increasingly valuable assets (our young, core players like Parsons). Love and LMA aren't getting moved to Houston unless we give up a major piece. No reason for them too -- there will be better teams out there able to offer a lot more.

17. Old Man Rock

Great post. I didn't know he was so good from the right. That alone makes me want Morey to sign him even more. When Harden has the ball just spot him up over there. And I agree 100% just take the ball out of his hands and you eliminate a lot of his bad shot selection and decision making. I watched a lot of video of him and he is more talented than Griffin in more things aexcept power game but he does have a power game as well. And when you consider how we run he is an amazing finisher. Coach Mchale talked how he likes his PF to run the court and get ahead of the pack. Josh SMith can do that better than anyone we have.

18. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I love his athleticism. I love his defense. Decision making is questionable.

He would be my first option. Even if we overpaid a little. Of course I would love to get me some Kevin Love but I'll Smith if we can get him and move on.

19. The Stig

The Stig Member

Guess this is where you and I are different when it comes to risk/return.

I don't feel comfortable using majority of the cap space on possible Tier 2/3 players (IMO), when I know there's a tier 1 player out there. If LMA/Love becomes available, no body but Harden is safe on this team. If either Love/Aldridge becomes disgruntled, a couple of draft picks will do it for them since the teams would rather get something than nothing. However, I guess if I want to use the available cap space now, a 1 year rental for Pau might be the best move we could make (assuming Paul and Howard doesn't sign with us).

Also we have to keep in mind that Parsons contract is up in 2015 and there's going to be tons of teams waiting to give him a huge pay raise so I'd cash in on him for a tier 1 player before his contract expires. Unless we think he's worthy of the money the market set out for him.

Curious to know which teams you are mentioning in that last sentence. Lakers?

20. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

We need a PF who is a solid defender and rebounder and has a solid mid range game. Unfortunately those qualities make the PF a star and teams aren't giving away star pfs.