1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeter just got his 3000th hit.....anyone here care?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by eddiewinslow, Jul 9, 2011.

1. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

I dont see a thread for it, but he did and we shouldve taken him #1 overall in 1992 and our brass wanted to but the powers that be above wanted Phil Nevin.....can you imagine a biggio,bagwell,jeter core? Think of our shortstop spot over the last 20 years.....ricky gutierrez,tim bogar,adam everett.....I could go all day

2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

Great accomplishment, but not worthy of an ESPN countdown and a retrospective. When literally dozens of guy have accomplished something, I don't think it merits much coverage other than a standing ovation in a building and a cordial congratulations during the press conference.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's the 28th to do it, so there aren't even 3 dozen players who have done it.

1 person likes this.
  5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Like 30 guys have accomplished this in over 100 years..

6. Nook

Nook Member

I don't really care... my guess is he finishes with around 3,500 hits. He is a very good player and a Hall of Famer in the same class of player as Biggio. However, he has been overrated, and hasn't even been the best shortstop on his own team.... his best days are behind him.

7. spence99

spence99 Member

espn has already crammed it down our throats for a week straight, so I'm tired of hearing about it. They sure didn't give Biggio this much coverage about it.

8. VanityHalfBlack

Great for Jeter, How close is Ichiro in that club??

9. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

I said dozens, and over 2 dozen is still dozens :)

Look, it's a great accomplishment. It's like reaching 20 or 25 thousand points in the NBA. But I don't see any other players getting 24/7 coverage for weeks when they get close to similar milestones. And I am actually a Jeter fan...there is just way more unnecessary gravitas being put on him reaching this milestone than there was for anyone else reaching their milestones.

10. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

20,000 pts to me isnt really that big a deal now bc you have so many 18-19 year olds playing, even a guy like corey maggette prob has close to or over 15K pts by now seeing that he came out after 1 year of college and has been a decent scorer for the last decade plus......3,000 hits in baseball is a big accomplishment bc its so rare for a player to start playing till he is 24 or 25 at best and then he needs 15 seasons of 200 hits on average to get there.....

11. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

12. Mr. Clutch

Is Jeter better than Biggio?

1 person likes this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

At their peaks, I rate Biggio ahead of Jeter. I think Jeter's career ends with better numbers and a better slash line though.

FWIW, yes, I care that he got it. I've seen so many of these hits and have grown up with Jeter. It's awesome for me. Joe Posnanski wrote an awesome SI article about Jeter and why this is so special.

Jeter did it on a homerun (only other to do it is Boggs) and is now 4 for 4 as of this writing.

As for why he got more coverage than Biggio, Biggio was part of a bad team at the time and it was a team that had been largely irrelevant on a national scale for most of his career. Jeter has been part of the best team in the league for the vast majority of his career and has been immortalized with amazing plays and hits in the postseason, something that Biggio didn't get the luxury of do to the team he played on.

That's not a praise of Jeter or a knock on Biggio. Circumstances were reversed the coverage would be as well. You just can't take away the amazing moments from Jeter though that have happened on a national scale and have made him the only "celebrity" in baseball in this generation. The "flip", the "dive", "Mr. November"...

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Congrats to a great player.

15. Prince

Prince Member

baseball hit or vagina?

16. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

I get what you mean about younger players playing, but a guy like T-Mac was a dominant scorer for a long time and will probably retire under 20,000 points. It's still a very impressive feat.

But since baseball has been around longer than the NBA, a better NBA comparison would probably be 25,000 points, which only 15 players have accomplished.

17. Mr. Clutch

Honestly, I would rather have a hit in the major leagues.

That would be awesome.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Statistics mean a lot more in baseball than they do the other sports.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You would rather have 1 hit, and be a virgin for the rest of your life?

20. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Baseball is pretty much the only sport going on right now. They literally have nothing else to talk about.