1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy needs some subtlety in his game...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jasonemilio, Jan 9, 2013.

1. TheRookets

TheRookets Rookie

Why would you go into a Lin thread if you hate the guy so much? You DO secretly love the kid.

2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I don't hate Lin at all. I just think he is merely average. I hope his jumper comes around and he can cut down on the TO's but I'm not convinced that he can. I would prefer a better starting PG. After PF, it's our weakest position in the starting lineup

3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I don't hate him at all. Everything I've read about him indicates he's a very likeable person. I just don't think he's a good basketball player and many of his fans are absurd with their comparisons. Thanks for capitalizing do. That completely changes everything.

4. TheRookets

TheRookets Rookie

This King1 loser is more obsessed with Lin than LOFs. lol.

5. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

See but why not? If it's some kid out of college in his 2nd year no one will doubt he can improve the jumper, cut down on TO's, why not Lin? Why do people see him as a finished product who has hit his peak? Based on hate, how else can you explain it?

6. plee

plee Member

Jumpers will come with practice and being a bit more selfish instead of trying to pass first which is a major change from our previous PG's. :eek:

7. AlbanyFan

AlbanyFan Member

JLin is the only starting PG who wasn't drafted. He has proven everyone wrong since day 1. Just wait and see.... Jlin will win a championship before the Knicks/Warriors do!

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Wishing bad things on the warriors for no reason. Da hell is wrong with you.

9. Bill Bradley

Bill Bradley Member

Can someone tell me how one blocks posters, or is that not possible on this site?

10. Supermaruchi

Supermaruchi Member

Don't underestimate the intelligence of an ivy leaguer who happens to be Asian American and happens to make it to the NBA.

Tiger Moms are very berry dangerous. ;)

He'll be delivering more naysayers to the basket in years to come.

11. SeabrookMiglla

lin has a lot of potential.

although i think there are some definite weaknesses in his game, mainly his jumper and 3pt shooting. his jump shots looks very clean when he uses it. he is still very young and has a lot to learn, i think he will not be so aggressive as he is now. right now like the OP said, he attacks the rim a lot which is great but he will not be able to do that season in and season out.

i think he has the natural ability of a pg who makes the whole team better. that is a very hard quality to have.

12. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Its not about whether he can make those jumpshots even respectably. Its about setting up different variety , however small, to his game and keep his defender honest and off balance. Too many times I see the guy take it all the way to a converging defense and force up a bad close shot or try to force a drive (predictably) to his right and loose the handles etc. Better to just do a simple stepback and atleast get a shot off.

Or when he drives the lane with 2 bigs around the basket, stop and do a floater 10 ft from the basket. He has the size advantage on most defenders and has shown he can them at a good clip when he does.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Nah, Flyin Ryan didn't need to shoot. He just dove for the ball when it's going out of bound.

14. Nook

Nook Member

#1 No, he does not have more upside than Harden. Lin is a full year older than Harden and does not have the body control, strength, size or shooting ability of Harden. Besides....... Harden is at 27/6/4/2 PER 24... those are numbers that very, very few 23 year olds get.

#2 Yes, Lin is a very good overall athlete. His acceleration and first step are very good, and he has overall good body control with above average court vision for a point guard. At this point a good 3 point shot and confidence are the only thing keeping him from being an 18/8/2 player. He plays very hard and wants to be very good.

#3 I worry about Lin's game long term. He really takes a lot of physical abuse driving to the basket, and his strengths do not age well (quick first step, hustle) and his weaknesses unfortunately are the ones that age well (shooting touch, going left).

You will hear many people say he needs to learn to go left, needs to get mentally stronger, needs to work on ball control etc....... but to me it is all simple, he needs to become a 40% three point shooter and improve from the line to 85%. If he does that his overall game will improve greatly, and his free throw attempts and inside the paint points will increase, as will his assists.

I have seen more talented players than Lin (TMac/Lin/Francis/Harden) but I have never seen a player quite like Lin, he has a very unusual skill set.

15. art

art Member

why do people love the upside of guys like brandon knight, john wall, eric bledsoe, brandon jennings but knock on lin? all these young pgs have their share of flaws in their game that they need to work on, too, but we don't really doubt them.

16. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Lin needs to start hitting those outside shots. When a team can sag off your starting point guard it makes everyone else's job (and his) more difficult on the offensive end...

17. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

What a dumb ass post... More potential than Jharden? Please STFU and quit posting, you are making Clutchfans look bad.

18. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I agree 100%. When Lin learns to knock down the three, everything will become much easier for him and the Rockets. He's doing a little better lately so I am hopeful.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

This has to be the most hilarious thing I've read today. If only because I visited the Bucks forum yesterday to get their take on Skiles, only to see gazillion Jennings/Ellis bashing.

Seriously, there's no need to make Jeremy Lin out to be some sort of outcasts that no fan believes in. If anything, I bet you more percentage of Washington fans doubt Wall than there are posters on clutchfans doubting Jeremy Lin.

20. art

art Member

this, but at least he isnt afraid to launch them. it really hasnt killed them in a game as far as him missing shots as mchale would just bring td in the gm. but i totally understand him being able to hit those open 3s (and stop stepping on the damn line :mad:)

remember kidd and parker were horrible shooters to begin his career. lin needs to lock himself in the gm and work on that shot. he was able to coast through college with just attacking the rim with his first step and penetration because of the level of competition he faced in the ivy league.